Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Too Much 'Pinocchio' in the Park?

I guess I just must not be a fan of the film itself, but would you agree 'Pinocchio' is too heavily incorporated in the park?

-Dark Ride
    -Village Haus
    -Pinocchio and Geppetto characters roaming the park
    -Pinocchio themed float in way too many parades
    -Monstro the Whale and the town in 'Story Book Land'
    -Part in 'Fantasmic'

With so many other great classics, I wish they would get incorporated more as well.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Too Much 'Pinocchio' in the Park?

Nope. Pinocchio is widely accepted as one of the best animated films and peak of the art form done by Disney (personal taste varies, of course ). I love it myself and don't think it is too much. The Pinocchio dark ride is fun, one of my favorites, and Monstro adds a lot visually to the land. As for the town being in Storybook, and the roaming characters....there's a lot of other animated films represented in those formats, Pinocchio doesn't dominate.

Can't see removing the more permanent elements or what would be suitable to replace them...

• Banned User

I agree that there are certainly several films that are ignored, but Pinocchio hardly feels overused. Now Toy Story on the hand....

I think that it may be your feelings to the film. This is how I look at it:

- Dark Ride: It fits in with the classic Disney stories that are told in Fantasyland along with Peter Pan and Dumbo.

-Village Haus: It's right next to the attraction. Besides, with the exception of "Beauty and the Beast", what fairytale has more food seen in the film? (I may be wrong but I can't think of any)

-Pinocchio and Geppetto characters roaming the park: There are also Peter, Wendy, Cpt. Hook, Snow White and Princesses - There is also Jiminy Cricket

-Pinocchio themed float in way too many parades: The colors and characters/props translate well into floats and talent (performers)

-Monstro the Whale and the town in 'Story Book Land': It ties into the script of the ride's story and is big enough to be used as a blocking gateway into Storybook Land

-Part in 'Fantasmic': Monstro lives in the ocean. Boats sail on the ocean. It was used to transition into the next sequence, Peter Pan and the Pirates.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by ToyStoryManiac View Post
    I guess I just must not be a fan of the film itself, but would you agree 'Pinocchio' is too heavily incorporated in the park?

-Dark Ride
    -Village Haus
    -Pinocchio and Geppetto characters roaming the park
    -Pinocchio themed float in way too many parades
    -Monstro the Whale and the town in 'Story Book Land'
    -Part in 'Fantasmic'

With so many other great classics, I wish they would get incorporated more as well.
    You're grasping at straws with several of your points:

Dark Ride - One of Walt's first and one of his best animated features. One of the best choices for FL dark ride

Pinocchio and his dad are seldom seen in DL

Pinocchio was in Parade of Dreams, but did not have a float in the previous parade. He is in the Christmas Parade, in the toy section which is very much appropriate. And I don't recall any parades during the 90's where Pinnochio had his own float,

Monstro and pinnochio's village are only 2 small segments of an attraction that contains dozens of scenes, same with F! ~ there are several different scenes in F! and Pinnochio only has a short puppet segment, blended with the Jiminy Cricket/underwater scene.

There are several different segments

I suppose that if a film was going to get more exposure than others, I wouldn't mind it being 'Pinocchio'. It's good they aren't taking it all out and replacing it with elements of the latest movie or something less significant.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Pinocchio gave us what many consider Disneyland's theme song. It's placement within the park seems to show a proper amount of respect for its influence.

I'll be over there wishing, ya know, on that star.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Embrace the kitsch!

Most of the Pinocchio related items you mentioned came before the Silver Age of Disney in the late 80's. By the time "Little Mermaid" came out, the company hadn't created any successful new movies for almost 20 years and had little choice but to keep using the same characters over and over again. The dark ride and restaurant were part of the '83 renovation. Had that come 10 years later, you'd probably have seen a more recent film represented. As for Fantasmic!, the Pinocchio sequence was shoehorned in at the last minute to help promote the 1992 video release.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    You're grasping at straws with several of your points:

Dark Ride - One of Walt's first and one of his best animated features. One of the best choices for FL dark ride

Pinocchio and his dad are seldom seen in DL

Pinocchio was in Parade of Dreams, but did not have a float in the previous parade. He is in the Christmas Parade, in the toy section which is very much appropriate. And I don't recall any parades during the 90's where Pinnochio had his own float,

Monstro and pinnochio's village are only 2 small segments of an attraction that contains dozens of scenes, same with F! ~ there are several different scenes in F! and Pinnochio only has a short puppet segment, blended with the Jiminy Cricket/underwater scene.

There are several different segments

There's also Electrical Parade, but who's counting.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I mean he's in a lot.....but I think he gets just enough at the park....and not to mention he does not have a ride in WDW...I think it's fine for him having his own section...just like Alice has.

PS he's also in Small World too, along with Alice

It's the only ride where I can hear the word "@ss" and it's not coming from a punk teenager. That alone puts this classic (the ride and the movie) in a special place in my heart.

(note - I hope using the word in context above is okay. That is, actually referencing the word as uttered in the ride)

• Banned User

No, there's no too much Pinocchio in the park
    Just watch the scene in Pinocchio where he's in the cage Stromboli put him in, and it is raining with lightning and the cage is swinging, watch it very closely and say to yourself, "this was ALL done by hand" (the lightning, the swinging and the rain) then you'll realize how important the film is and was at the time..

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

That's funny. I just wrote about how much more Pinocchio there is at Disneyland compared to WDW. That's not a complaint, though. I love Pinocchio.

• Hooterville, USA

Too much? Nope.

ToonTown is a whole land based on Roger Rabbit. Pinocchio got a dark ride. Still think it's too much?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Too much? Nope.

ToonTown is a whole land based on Roger Rabbit. Pinocchio got a dark ride. Still think it's too much?
    and a restaurant ...village haus

but i dont think its too much.
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast