Weekday or Weekend visit recommended?

Hi Everyone.

I've been to Disneyland a number of times but I'm a bit stumped on this one when I think about it: I can go to DL on the 8th (Thursday) from 2:30 pm to CLosing (8 PM!!), OR Saturday 10th Dec from aout 1030am to 8pm or so (depends on the family). THis is a family trip: two families, 4 kids.

Am I better off with the limited hours of Thursday but less crowds (Darn that 8pm closing!) or is it still better to go on the weekend with more hours but weekend crowds?!

Re: Weekday or Weekend visit recommended?

I'd shoot for the 4 more hours on Saturday. That's still a pretty low season before all the Christmas vacationers come to town, so it'll be locals only for the most part even on a weekend. Given that, you might find Small World and Haunted Mansion especially crowded since they will be in holiday mode, which us locals tend to flock to when they are up.

Other than that, if you can swing it with your group, a late breakfast and a late dinner might be a good idea too so you won't have to stop for meals multiple times. You can get priority seating at the Carnation Cafe until they close (usually around 3) so you won't have to wait very long to get food. There's a decent selection there, it's got a nearby restroom, and free drink refills. I've taken parties of 8 there many times without a problem.
    SoCal Native
    DL APer

• that's right!

I go on or about December 10th every year (usually on that Sunday, though) and it's never toooo crowded. Plus, if you know what you're doing the increase in hours will be the biggest factor in getting on rides.

• Lowering Expectations

Also the entertainment is much better on weekends as opposed to weekdays. On a typical Wednesday when the park closes at 8, there is a grand total of one parade or maybe two, and that's it and you go home. On the weekend, however, when the park is open 'till midnight, right now there are three parades going on, the Parade of Dreams followed by the Christmas Fantasy parade twice, and then of course the fireworks, and two if not three showings of Fantasmic.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The Fireworks are currently offered 7 nights a week (if not cancelled by the wind).

There are two parades on slow weekdays, one Parade of Dreams, and one Christmas Parade.

Fantasmic! would be the one thing you would miss, as it only offered Friday thru Sundays until Christmas Peak (December 16th).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Anyone know why the fireworks on the official site schedule aren't there on any date?
    I have a dream
    A song to sing
    To help me cope
    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
    of a FairyTale
    You can take the future
    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
    Something good in everything I see
    I believe in Angels
    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Disney
    Anyone know why the fireworks on the official site schedule aren't there on any date?
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15249

(Basically it was a database error.)

Given your limited schedule I'd suggest Saturday; if you could come from, say, 10 'til close on a weekday, I'd go for that for sure. But 2:30 to 8 doesn't sound worth it, even if the crowds would be lighter.

• Hooterville, USA

Tue, Wed, or Thurs. for me.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Tue, Wed, or Thurs. for me.
    Wanna aexpand on that, Druggas?

I should let you all know that my family isn't into the parades, and we've seen fantasmic a number of times already. It's great, but don't need to this time. Others in the group want parades though so we'll leave them to it.

Also, jsut to let you know, I'm very clued into Fastpass tricks and making the most of DL. Personally I do like the idea of more hours, cause its more time and there always something you can do to make it work. HOWEVER I'm surprised at just how stumped I feel on this choice: if there's MUCH less crowds oon that week day, it could really make it for us.

Las time we visited on a weekday it was brilliant: SOOO much better than dealing with the lines with the kids of our two families.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I stoped by the resort for a few minutes yesterday, and it was the slowest I have seen in a long time.

I would go with Thursday the 8th, my guess, the crowds will be half the size of the 10th, and since you don't care about Fantasmic!, that seals the deal.

• Banned User

I would definately go on the weekday if your schedule is only till 8 pm due to the fact you have a chance to see the fireworks because the park closes around 8 so you can see the fireworks when on a weekend you would of left before the fireworks at 9:25. I would of said sat if you were staying till 10 pm but you are leaving at 8.

DISNEYFREAK:

Wow, are you saying on Sat the Fireworks DO NOT start until 930?

That certainly seals the deal, along with teh other recommendations. Please respond though: I'd like to know in my mind for sure that the Fireworks on Sat. are way later.

Thanks, folks.

Been there dozens of times but because I ALWAYS have gone from opening to closing, this one had me a bit stressed as I don't like the idea of the limited hours visit, but this year its kind of unavoidable. When you're used to going all day and night, the idea of only about 6 hours seems terrible.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mousing Around
    Been there dozens of times but because I ALWAYS have gone from opening to closing, this one had me a bit stressed as I don't like the idea of the limited hours visit, but this year its kind of unavoidable.
    Well, it is avoidable. That option is always there.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Yes, Fireworks are performed at 9:25 PM on nights the park closes at 10 PM or later, so that is currently Friday thru Sundays, and the last two weeks of December (Christmas Peak).

On nights the park closes at 8 PM, then the Fireworks are performed at 7:45 PM.

Next Monday and Tuesday, the Fireworks will be at 5:45 PM, due to the 6 PM closings (due to CM parties later that night).

Quote Originally Posted by Mousing Around
    Hi Everyone.

I've been to Disneyland a number of times but I'm a bit stumped on this one when I think about it: I can go to DL on the 8th (Thursday) from 2:30 pm to CLosing (8 PM!!), OR Saturday 10th Dec from aout 1030am to 8pm or so (depends on the family). THis is a family trip: two families, 4 kids.

Am I better off with the limited hours of Thursday but less crowds (Darn that 8pm closing!) or is it still better to go on the weekend with more hours but weekend crowds?!
    I'd do the weekday, lines are getting longish by 10:30am on the weekend. Unless you can get there at opening on a weekend day, I wouldn't go as single day trip for a season.