Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandia
    And why exactly do we need seats that sit side-by-side? Seems like a lot of money put into something that could be put to better purpose.
    the reduction of the ride capacity has been a source of concern. They're trying to correct that problem.
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• no flash photography...

maybe they will slow it down again. The last few times we went on it we were flying by everything. I liked it better when it was slower....

• Social Imagineer

Forget the side-by-side rear seating; Have you checked out the other seating configuration in the logs as pictured in today's Al Update on miceage?!?!?

It's four people in front, two facing completely left (and absolutely unable to look right), and the other two facing completely right (and unable to look left).

O.M.G.

An elaborate attraction designed in the round, with guests supposed to be able to look in all directions (except directly behind them). This change, if it goes through as pictured, will restrict 80% of the guests to viewing only in one direction, and missing half of the show. This is absurd!

And, huh, going down the big drop facing ... sideways?!?! This has got to be a mistake.

• Special Agent

They're just sitting that way because they would be too unstable facing foward. You can see that they were tied to the sides. That doesn't signify a change in the seating configuration.

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

If they tied the guests to the sides, that would solve the problem of going down the drop sideways.

• "Roast Duck"

Um...those logs look crazy...i think they should just stick to the 5 configuration they have now...or just make a wider 6th seat for those who have young ones who dont want to sit by themselves...shifting two seats to left and to right...that's kinda dumb...also look at the way the back two seats are done...looks like you are going to be getting so wet...
    Went to a party the other night
    All the ladies were treating me right
    Moving my feet to the disco beat
    How in the world could I keep my seat
    All of a sudden I began to change
    I was on the dance floor acting strange
    Flapping my arms I began to cluck
    Look at me..I'm the disco duck

"Do the Disco Duck!!!"

• Banned User

The seating configuration is all facing foward... Disney just doesn't have water dummies that can ride this ride well... and have to face that way to keep the boat balanced... their is no difference to the boat except the wider back seat to hold 2 people...
    (increasing the capacity to 6 people instead of the odd number 5....)

• DCA Pier/Golden State CM

Post An Article from the Line

There was an article in the December 16, 2004 issue of The Disneyland Line talking about new logs for Splash Mountain. The article was titled "Cast Member Helps WDI Make Magic for Guests".

In their quest to continually enhance the experience for all Guests, Walt Disney Imagineers asked Disneyland® Resort Vacation Planner Michelle Beausoleil, who uses a wheelchair, to provide hands-on feedback in June for an attraction transfer device for Guests using wheelchairs.

“I went to Glendale twice to help them test a transfer device for Space Mountain for Hong Kong Disneyland® and Splash Mountain for Disneyland® Park,” said Michelle, who has been a vacation planner for two years.

Michelle said her firsthand input helped the Imagineers make immediate adjustments to the device.

“I was having trouble finding an area to hold on to with the Splash Mountain apparatus and the Imagineers took it away and brought it back with additional handles,” she said. “Those changes really helped me transfer into the log much more easily.”

The photo that was in Al's update today looked like the log that was pictured in the Line.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started
    Quote Originally Posted by AP2CM
    the snoring bear (near the queue entry) was Rufus from the Country Bears (the stage/lighting bear you never saw but only heard). They removed the snoring when they removed the ride in 2001. The bear snoring near slippin' falls (1st drop) is Brer Bear. He's still there.
    I think there is something wrong with that statment but not sure so I will post this:

Rufus was a snoring bear that was located up in the hills of Bear Country before Splash Mtn. was built. He later went on to be the sleepy lighting bear you never saw but only heard in CBJ:VH and CBJ X-mas show. When they built Splash they relocated Rufus's cave to the top of the first small drop and let him sleep for a few more years. Sometime in the past, I would say, 10 years or so they kicked Rufus out and had Brer Bear move in. But the funny thing is his snoring sure does sound like Rufus.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by AP2CM
    Actually, I'm hoping (foolishly) that we get the hopping Brier Rabbit animatronic from WDW (the one that dances on the hedge). He's amazing!!
    You mean the one that was always breaking down? I think in the year that I lived/worked there, I maybe saw it working three times.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Social Imagineer

Whew, I'm very glad to learn that I jumped the gun with my assumption that they were planning to have the guests sit sideways.

Disco Duck suggested that they should just stick with the 5-seater configuration they have now. I'll go that one better and suggest that they go back to it being a log ride in a hollow log .... with no seats or separations and much higher guest capacity (hehe, we once got 12 people in a single log - - that was one wet ride!)

The reduced capacity was, if I recall correctly, in reaction to a single injury incident. But the prior decade of operation with hollow logs was completely accident-free. Statistically, then, there is no reason other than rampant lawyering to have changed the seating configuration at all. (imho)

• Vehicle rotating backward

Wait a second. I thought Rufus was some loud snoring sound they played out of the Splash buildnig while it was under construction way back when, and they stopped piping it out when Splash opened? Because maybe I'm wrong, but I remember seeing the Big Drop hill being there even before it was part of a ride.

And of course they wouldn't sit people in logs like that! It would wreck the "this is a picture of you going down the drop" sales!

Slpsh Mt. Logs

The only difference are 2 people across in the back. I have seen a photo of human beings riding one of the prototype logs awhile ago, and I doubt the configuration changed much. Al's photo just caught the water dummies oddly shifting in position which is understandable since water dummies do a lousy job of holding on to the handle grips.

• Senior Minion

I Do not like the Separations in the log. I am always concerned that I will get a new nose job from the headrest!!

I might be wrong, but I remember there just being a house or cave up on the hill in the pre-Splash Mountain days of Bear Country from which you could hear the snoring.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast