What music would you recommend that Disney use in certain places on property?

What existing music would you like to hear and where would you like to hear it?

Disney has so many great pieces of music in the company's portfolio, and, yet, relatively little is actually played in Disneyland or at Disney's California Adventure.

For example, I would really like to hear an instrumental Dixieland version of "Zip A Dee Doo Dah" at the Frontierland station of the Disneyland Railroad in order to coordinate with the choral version heard as the trains pass through Splash Mountain, itself.

I'd also like to hear Paul Dukas' "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" at the Fantasyland station and John Williams' finale to "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" at Tomorrowland Station. The latter is notable because it incorporates "When You Wish upon a Star".

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Re: What music would you recommend that Disney use in certain places on property?

Great ideas, Prag. I'd never really considered the topic before. This one requires more time under my thinking cap.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Re: What music would you recommend that Disney use in certain places on property?

It already is in the park, but if anyone can direct me to somewhere where I can acquire (either just by listening or possibly find a file of some sort) of either the medley they play in the entrance plaza to DCA or the Paradise Pier area music, I would be eternally greatful. I really would kill for that music.

EDIT: And by the way, I know Fantasmic plays it on the PP splash page, but I am trying to find it elsewhere.

Or even better yet, if there is no file or anything, a song list of the entrance plaza medley songs would be cool too.
    Last edited by Twist_of_Fate; 11-28-2005 at 08:31 PM.

• The one, the only...

Using music to create a mood was one of Walt Disney's great design secrets. Main Street would not be Main Street without it.

I would just say they need to use it more. Tomorrowland needs more ambient music. It should be upbeat, exciting and uplifting. Buzz does not seem to create much buzz over there. I think what is played needs to be changed. If modern Rap music does not have "Disney" lyrics then just use the beat and melody. I think it would be great to see more dancing over there.

DCA needs music on Hollywood Blvd. I think 1930's to 40's music would be great.

Paradise Pier plays carnival music. I think it is a bad choice. It just reminds me of how "cheap" it feels over there.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

If I remember correctly, the music (assuming it hasn't changed) is like pipe organ/MIDI versions of popular songs loosely related to a California/Ocean/Pier theme.

I don't know why, but the Entrance Plaza music and the PP Music is some of my favorite music in that park. That's why I really, REALLY want it.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    Paradise Pier plays carnival music. I think it is a bad choice. It just reminds me of how "cheap" it feels over there.
    That's an interesting observation.

I always liked the way that the Pacific Pavillion at Knott's Berry Farm used surfer music. And, an obvious oversight is the fact that Disney owns "The Monkey's Uncle", which was performed by Annette Funicello and the Beach Boys. Pizza Oom Mow Mow, for example, could use that little nod to Disney's past.

I find the music on Main Street, U.S.A. lacking. About ten years ago, Disney decided to abandon actual music from the turn-of-the-19th-Century and use music from films that were merely set in that period, such as "Hello, Dolly".

I would prefer a Disney-only repertoire using music from films set in the 1900's including: "So Dear to My Heart"; "Summer Magic"; "The Happiest Millionaire"; and, "Pollyanna".

I recently learned that the Hollywood section of D.C.A. is playing the finale to "Newsies". And, I would love to hear it, instead, in Town Square along with one of my all-time favorite pieces, "Rooftop", which is from the same film.

The score to "Newsies" is so lush, romantic, and theatrical. The dignity and grandeur Alan Menken and J.A.C. Redford gave it would also be much more in keeping with Walt Disney's original intention that Town Square be relaxing and inviting. Film scores, in general, can enlarge a world, and Disneyland needs area music that does the same.

A few other selections from that same soundtrack would, likewise, be nice. I can easily imagine "Fightin' Irish" and "Escape from Snyder", for example, along Center Street.

When the Disneyland Band is not performing the "Mickey Mouse March" in Town Square, a recorded version might suffice. And, I maintain that the "Baroque Hoedown" is so important to Disneyland and so appropriately festive that different versions of it need to be played in the Inner Lobby and at Central Plaza.

Finally, there are a great many pieces of outstanding patriotic music in the public domain that I am surprised Disney does not use them more in Town Square or in the Disneyland Opera House. I am thinking of everything from Souza to "America, the Beautiful".
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-29-2005 at 02:40 AM.

• Hey, that's not Rose!

As I recall, I have heard the Titanic theme and Jurassic park in the Hollywood Backlot, which I was semi confused about. I do love those scores but all I could think was HUH? Also we heard the theme to the Pink Panther one day, last time we were there. I think it would be more fitting to have Disney scores, since they have very wonderful music. They could just play animated scores, B and B, Mulan, Tarzan, they have wonderful music.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I wish Disneyland would return the marvelous Welte orchestrion to its original configuration. The "updated" midi music is flat, soulless (sp?) and uninspired. So what if this ancient machine is a maintenance nightmare. The Walt Disney Corporation can afford the upkeep.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfreeek
    As I recall, I have heard the Titanic theme and Jurassic park in the Hollywood Backlot, which I was semi confused about. I do love those scores but all I could think was HUH? Also we heard the theme to the Pink Panther one day, last time we were there. I think it would be more fitting to have Disney scores, since they have very wonderful music. They could just play animated scores, B and B, Mulan, Tarzan, they have wonderful music.
    I think it all depends on what constitutes a classic film.

"Singin' in the Rain", "Somewhere over the Rainbow", and "Tara's Theme" do work.

"thirtysomething", "Home Improvement", and "Beverly Hills Cop"... not so much.

Returning to "Newsies", an instrumental version of "Santa Fe" would be very appealing in Frontierland. And, I'd also like Aaron Copeland's "Hoedown" from "Rodeo" there, too, as well as the last part of "Appalachian Spring".

The version of "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" used in "Remember... Dreams Come True" is so cinematic that Frontierland could use something similar. And, the film, "Pocahontas", is full of great music that has the potential to enlarge the wilderness there.

I sometimes am dissatisfied with the bands performing before Fantasmic!. However, I would be interested in possibly hearing some of the great recordings Louis Armstrong made of Disney music, instead. In that way, the style would be in keeping with the setting, but the music would relate to Disney, in general, and, thereby, create a better transition from Frontierland to Fantasmic!. Disney might even be able to sell the C.D.'s before and after the show.

All of the talk about the Disneyland Hotel reminded me that there were some great original scores written for the documentaries of the "Disneyland"/"The Wonderful World of Color" television series that deserve a home in Disneyland, itself. The song, "The World Is a Carousel of Color", likewise, should be represented in some way at Disneyland, specifically, in the Outer Lobby/Downtown Disney.