Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Disneyland Announces tickets for POTC OST Premiere MAy 7th 2011 at Disneyland

I'll be waving to all attending on the "black" carpet after camping out all night and day LOL

Re: Disneyland Announces tickets for POTC OST Premiere MAy 7th 2011 at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    I never said donating to charity was selfish!!!!!! You guys obviously took my post the wrong way and probably didn't read the comment I was replying to. The post said this:

I mean there are people out there right now that selfishly have a lot of money that do not donate and could EASILY AFFORD IT, I work with them.... If somebody chooses to spend $1000 to go to the premiere then I commend them for donating, and not wasting it like some people I know who are "Selfishly Rich"
    Gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It read the opposite to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    $100 to go to a movie premiere sounds about right considering you can go to them for free back when Myspace was doing their "Black Curtain" thing and you could just sign up and show up on the day by printing out the Myspace page. 10 times that much? Insanity. I don't even care if it's for charity!
    It's not just that simple. There's a sizeable tax writeoff involved, which many could use. Me, for example. I'd rather Uncle Sam not get that money... I'd rather keep some of it, and let a charity use the rest. So for me, on a $1000 ticket, it's more like $725 after the write off. And the less income you make, the bigger the write off becomes. Then, I'm assuming, like the last time, there will be gift bags. And they were killer gift bags. Nintendo DS's, games, Wii games, collectibles, etc... I'd say it was worth probably $200, conservatively. Hopefully this time there might be Nintendo 3DS's? Anyway, that takes it down to $500ish out of pocket for the ticket. Then it's all about what you value a night like that at, plus the added benefit of doing someting nice for a charity.

To me, it's well worth it. We still tell crazy stories from the last Pirates movie premiere we attended.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Still do not see $1000 for that is worth it even if it goes to boys and girls club.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Can't Wait!!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    Still do not see $1000 for that is worth it even if it goes to boys and girls club.

Oh, it's a splurge, for sure. I don't mean to make it sound like it's cheap... Or that just anyone could do it. I get that.

But I'll tell you this: For the last premiere, I stressed over it for a long time. Should I pay that much money for two tickets... And don't forget, they were $1500 last time. That was $3,000. Well, I decided to go ahead and do it. And it was so great that I bought two tickets for this premiere about 5 minutes after they went on sale. And I'm coming from the midwest, so I've got plane tickets and hotel and rental car and everything else to worry about.

But we had such a great time last time that I instantly re-upped.

For us, it's about creating memories, and experiencing as much as we possibly can in life. Sometimes that means spending some crazy cash to do some very unique things. But to each their own.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

^^^ x2 this, couldn't have said it better myself. So much so, this time the whole family's going.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    I never said donating to charity was selfish!!!!!! You guys obviously took my post the wrong way and probably didn't read the comment I was replying to. The post said this:

I mean there are people out there right now that selfishly have a lot of money that do not donate and could EASILY AFFORD IT, I work with them.... If somebody chooses to spend $1000 to go to the premiere then I commend them for donating, and not wasting it like some people I know who are "Selfishly Rich"
    Nobody is "selfishly rich." Seems rather you are just jealous. People can spend their money however they please. They can spend it on Ferraris or nice houses or expensive Disneyland events. It does not make them selfish!

It's a great tax write-off and I rather see my money go to charity than the federal government, so I might buy a pair of tickets. Guess I'm selfish.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

You don't need to spend anywhere near $1000 for awesome memories. You can go to a concert for $20 and they probably hold the same "awsomeness memory" value in the mind. Even better example, you can spend $101 and go to Disneyland from 8AM to 12PM for a day and chances are that'll be a 8 times longer time span! However, I was sold by those gift baskets... especially if there's a 3DS in there. Plus the ticket of seeing a movie before it opens nationwide, plus being with the cast and crew at the time of seeing it, plus the novelty of being at Disneyland when happening, plus it being on the Rivers of America in Disneyland, plus a 3DS....... Maybe 600 bucks at the most

And I don't think anyone is jealous or telling richer people how to spend their money but honestly, ask 100, uh... normal people if spending $1000 to go to a movie premiere of the likes of Pirates of the Caribbean with all the things listed above and I pretty much guarantee that 97 of them will say that's north of crazy, even if it is going to a charity. Just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    You don't need to spend anywhere near $1000 for awesome memories. You can go to a concert for $20 and they probably hold the same "awsomeness memory" value in the mind. Even better example, you can spend $101 and go to Disneyland from 8AM to 12PM for a day and chances are that'll be a 8 times longer time span! However, I was sold by those gift baskets... especially if there's a 3DS in there. Plus the ticket of seeing a movie before it opens nationwide, plus being with the cast and crew at the time of seeing it, plus the novelty of being at Disneyland when happening, plus it being on the Rivers of America in Disneyland, plus a 3DS....... Maybe 600 bucks at the most

And I don't think anyone is jealous or telling richer people how to spend their money but honestly, ask 100, uh... normal people if spending $1000 to go to a movie premiere of the likes of Pirates of the Caribbean with all the things listed above and I pretty much guarantee that 97 of them will say that's north of crazy, even if it is going to a charity. Just saying!
    It's not a matter of "need". It's a matter of "want".

Really? You think attending the premiere is akin to going to a concert, or spending a regular day at the park?

Well I for one have never had a conversation about "old hollywood" with Martin Landeau at a concert... I did at the premiere.

My wife hasn't ever gotten on stage at a Dixie Chicks concert to talk to Natalie Maines... But she had a conversation with her at the premiere.

I've never sat next to Lauren Holly at a concert... But I sat next to her at the movie. Also sort of made her mad when I accidentally called her long-haired son a "she".

I've never sat in a private box at a concert with John Lassetter, but my wife and I did (totally by chance) end up riding the Haunted Mansion after the movie with only Lassetter and his family.

I joked with Apolo Ono that my seats were better than his.

I had a "reality TV worthy" run-in with Janice Dickenson.

I kept running into Ian Zeiring (sp?) and at one point we joked that I told him to quit stalking me.

My wife was 15 feet away from Johnny Depp, which she still talks about to this day.

And those are just the stories I can think of off the top of my head.

Anyone can say that they think it's too much money to them. That's opinion, and everyone has a right to theirs. But no one... ESPECIALLY if they didn't attend the last premiere, should downplay how unique and special a night it is.

You listed a lot of what's really cool about the night... Seeing Pirates before everyone else, watching it inside Disneyland, OUTDOORS, literally steps from where it all started with the attraction... The gift bags... Seeing it with the cast... Plus a nice dinner... Plus they keep a portion of the park open for an "after party" with rides and food and drink and other "exclusive" stuff (last time they had a couple booths where they would take your picture and photoshop it into the attraction poster, and you got a big copy of it... All free)...

I'm just making the point that it's much more than it might appear to be from the outside looking in. We had no idea last time what to expect, and most of the things listed above were complete surprises to us. But now that we've "seen the mountaintop", we can't wait to go back.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
    It's a great tax write-off and I rather see my money go to charity than the federal government, so I might buy a pair of tickets. Guess I'm selfish.
    I never understood this mentality. Lets say you write off $900... most people pay only around 15-20% income tax.. so you're getting maybe a $130-$180 benefit. Spending $1000 to get $180 back isn't the way to riches

The main benefit is if you have enough deductions to get your AGI under one of the phase out limits. That could make a big impact..

If people want to donate $1000 to charity - please by all means do.. but I've never made sense of anyone saying it's good money sense to do so. Deductions don't earn you anything, just reduce tax liability... and its always a fraction of what you actually outlaid.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

Like 80% of the things said were basically meeting celebs. I understand having idols and what not and that this country and many others are obsessive on what are just normal people. Maybe it's because I'm an actor and I meet celebs all the time, but I really don't find that at all special. They're a special less than 1% of the world but at the end of the day, you'll see they're nothing more different or less spectacular than a bum on the street who might actually be a nicer person. Once again, just sayin!

And been to a movie premiere and unless I'm one of the talents, I'd much rather be at Disneyland! :-D

• Minion

I'm only going if the gift bag has ten $100 bills inside.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Jeez for $1000, I'd better as heck get to meet Johnny Depp! I wish I could attend something like that. It's almost one of those "once in a lifetime" things where you can justify the amount of money spent by the sheer experience.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Minion

Also, I will add that I am COMPLETELY jealous as hell of both rich people and everyone who goes to this. I hope you have a good time and I can't wait to read the reports!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast