Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Toad Hall

New theme park right next to Disneyland, what do you think?

I was looking at the satellite image of Disneyland and noticed how big of a parking lot they already own to right side of Disneyland. Thinking about it I thought a great idea would be for Disney to start buying all the cheesy motels and buildings in that area to make way for a future park. How awesome would it be that when you come from the main mickey and friends garage you hop on the tram and get to the entrance and there are three parks from which you can choose from. I know they want to build a park a block away from DCA but this would make so much more sense and would be so much fun to park hop when all three entrances are right next to each other. If they bought all this land they can in turn move Harbor Blvd to behind the future park, and let it run over there. I don't think building a tunnel under the future park would be a great idea because it could be a great idea for some terrorist to blow a truck underneath, so it would make sense to move Harbor to behind the park. I just think this would be some much better then having to take a tram 2 blocks away to the other park. Tell me what you think guys.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

<font size=4> </font>

• Banned User

Re: New theme park right next to Disneyland, what do you think?

Wow that would be great lol!

But yeah, not feasible. No way would they get all those hotels and business across from Harbor to sell, not to mention the fact they are budget hotels and greatly needed for so many families to visit, especially so close to DL and I dont know how you could convince the city to reroute such a major street like Harbor. Sure, it looks simple enough when you just take a orange marker and photoshop it behind the new park, but in reality that would probably be a logistical nightmare to change and have major traffic issues (especially since you now taken away all the shuttle drop offs in the east side of the resort).

But sure in theory it would be great! Hell, in theory the third park can be TDS while we're at it lol. And I could see a nice 5 star hotel in that section too built into the park like GCH. It would be a nice and big enough where you can have views of either inside DL or the new park. And the monorail can whisk guests through the new park the same way it does DCA based on where you see the park sitting. Still too short for a stop, but be fun to see the monorail go through all threee parks. It would just bring all kinds of energy to the resort with the third park right there.

But it be a miracle to plop a theme park in such a high volume traffic area and in a place with several lucrative businesses who are lucrative because of the close access to DLR in the first place.

• Toad Hall

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Wow that would be great lol!

But yeah, not feasible. No way would they get all those hotels and business across from Harbor to sell, not to mention the fact they are budget hotels and greatly needed for so many families to visit, especially so close to DL and I dont know how you could convince the city to reroute such a major street like Harbor. Sure, it looks simple enough when you just take a orange marker and photoshop it behind the new park, but in reality that would probably be a logistical nightmare to change and have major traffic issues (especially since you now taken away all the shuttle drop offs in the east side of the resort).

But sure in theory it would be great! Hell, in theory the third park can be TDS while we're at it lol. And I could see a nice 5 star hotel in that section too built into the park like GCH. It would be a nice and big enough where you can have views of either inside DL or the new park. And the monorail can whisk guests through the new park the same way it does DCA based on where you see the park sitting. Still too short for a stop, but be fun to see the monorail go through all threee parks. It would just bring all kinds of energy to the resort with the third park right there.

But it be a miracle to plop a theme park in such a high volume traffic area and in a place with several lucrative businesses who are lucrative because of the close access to DLR in the first place.
    Yes very true but it would be amazing if this could truly happen, im sure they could plop the shuttle stops more over towards the paradise pier hotel and have them all walk through downtown disney or use the monorail. It would also make the downtown disney do better because everyone would have to go through there. But when you say when all the low budget hotels are right there, there are also so many others around the hotel area. I was just thinking since they already own such a huge margin of that area with their big parking lot, i could see it not being to hard to start buying all the near by parks. Saying it might take up to 20 years to get them all but in time they could buy all the land near their, and with all that land bought it would cut traffic down on harbor making it feasible for the city to reconsider the reroute behind the park. But then again this is just my mind talking. haha i just thought if they had enough money it would be so awesome just to pick out of three parks basically all within a tiny area.
    <font size=4> </font>

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    Yes very true but it would be amazing if this could truly happen, im sure they could plop the shuttle stops more over towards the paradise pier hotel and have them all walk through downtown disney or use the monorail. It would also make the downtown disney do better because everyone would have to go through there. But when you say when all the low budget hotels are right there, there are also so many others around the hotel area. I was just thinking since they already own such a huge margin of that area with their big parking lot, i could see it not being to hard to start buying all the near by parks. Saying it might take up to 20 years to get them all but in time they could buy all the land near their, and with all that land bought it would cut traffic down on harbor making it feasible for the city to reconsider the reroute behind the park. But then again this is just my mind talking. haha i just thought if they had enough money it would be so awesome just to pick out of three parks basically all within a tiny area.
    Oh I certainly agree with that! I dont think its impossible, but I dont see Disney willing to fork out the cash to make all those businesses move for a park. They have/had(?) the chance to buy Gardenwalk on the cheap and they never grabbed that space up, so I have a feeling they are kind of settled in the strawberry patch for any real future projects.

Actually I always thought if they wanted to, they could just raze the DL hotel and PP hotel and build a park right on that land. You look at the east side and besides the two hotels, which PP hotel sits on a tiny plot of land, the rest of that land is nothing but parking lots, but they expand from the bottom of DCA all the way to Mickey and Friends, so that would be LOTS of room to build a new park and Disney owns all of that, so it wouldnt have to buy anyone out nor reroute any major streets for it.

And instead of two outdated hotels, knock those both down, create a deluxe 5 star hotel that would sit in front of the new park and the entryway of it would start where the socerer's hat of the DL hotel sits now. And we would basically go under the new hotel just like the Disneyland hotel in Paris and Mira Costa in Tokyo to get to the new park. DTD could even stay as it is mostly although maybe ESPN Zone would go to create a nice esplanade into the new park and a seperate entryway for shuttles and shuttles/trams to enter from Mickey and Friends parking lot. And parking will obviously be moved, but they could build another mult level garage somewhere off site, maybe where the Toy Story lot is now. And NOW not only have 3 gates in the same place, most would walk through DTD to get to them. OR you can take the tram from the current zone DTD and it would take you to the stop of the new park/hotel (in case walking that 10 mins is that much of a killer lol) there will be a tram that will only go between the new park/hotel tram stop and the current tram zone to DL/DCA all day.

Of course since they invested hundreds of millions in DL hotel rennovation, thats a pipe dream now lol. But the space WAS there if they were willing to rebuild a new hotel into the new park as proposed. But think of all the money they would lose tearing down TWO hotels and not having another built for several years.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 04-07-2011 at 10:14 PM.

• Minion

You underestimate the importance of Harbor Blvd. It's a main North-South artery not just for Anaheim, but for a number of cities. I love Disneyland as much as the next person, but Anaheim is, first and foremost, an actual working city. Traffic mitigation plays a huge part in all of DLR's plans.

That said, I think they could definitely make better use of the overflow parking areas. Actually I think they should build another garage on the Pinocchio lot and do something interesting with the overflow lots.

that would be amazing.. i wouldnt say its impossible.. but it would be certainly a very tough thing to get approved

• Minion

i was just thinking why make the road go around make it go under into a tunnel

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    i was just thinking why make the road go around make it go under into a tunnel
    Guess you didn't read it very thoroughly, WildForMrToad thinks that if they had Harbour Blvd go through a tunnel, terrorists will blow up a truck driving underneath to collapse it.

• Minion

It's a great idea, but the enormous cost of buying up all the land would kill it.

And being right next to Interstate 5 might create a noise problem.

If they could do this, though, then they could use the "strawberry fields" land (that Disney owns south of Katella and east of Harbor) for parking structures, hotels, a shopping mall and maybe a water park, and then extend the Monorail to include stations there and in all 3 parks.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

They would never do it. They probably would risk a huge lawsuit from the convention center if they were to eliminate that many hotel rooms.

• DLR Cast Member

Regarding the idea of rerouting Harbor traffic, it wouldn't be feasable, even if money were no object. As noted earlier, Harbor Blvd is a major artery, and its existence is vital not only to Anaheim, but to the cities currounding it. It's not anything like West Street/Disneyland Drive, which was lowered below grade to accommodate Downtown Disney (and even there, it was done so only at a short distance.

That aside, I'm not sure if the OP is aware that Disneyland Resort has already announced its intentions to build a third theme park on the southeast corner of Harbor and Katella, which is currently the site of the Cast Member lot (KCML) and the Toy Story Lot. Also, there are imminent plans to build a parking structure on the current site of the Pumbaa lot (which is directly west of the DL Main Entrance) Given these facts, it stands to reason that Disney doesn't have any particular interest in acquiring east-of-Harbor land for a future theme park. Acquiring east-of-Harbor land for future pedestrian, shopping, dining, and hotel expansion, now that's a different story.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Regarding the idea of rerouting Harbor traffic, it wouldn't be feasable, even if money were no object. As noted earlier, Harbor Blvd is a major artery, and its existence is vital not only to Anaheim, but to the cities currounding it.
    And I would like to add that the importance of Harbor Blvd did not increase only after Disneyland was built. It has always been a very important street in Orange County. Harbor Blvd was not named that because it is a pretty name for a street. It was named that way because, before freeways were put in, it was the main road that would take someone traveling from Los Angeles to Newport Beach (or, specifically to the Newport Harbor area of Newport Beach). Similarly, Beach Blvd (where Knotts is located) is the road that people would take from Los Angeles to get to Huntington Beach. So long story short, Harbor Blvd is a very important street that to this day serves as a major thoroughfare for much of Orange County, and should remain this way.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 04-08-2011 at 12:11 PM.

I agree with most of the statements above. Looking at the resort and seeing the possible expansion areas, I've created a photoshopped map to show everyone what I think might be a possibility.

A new parking structure, similar in size to Mickey and Friends, would alleviate the use of the surface parking lots, which in turn would free up a lot of land.

The lot in the southwest corner could be transformed into a world-class water park, in-lieu of Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach (And trust me either-or could fit) which would blend in perfectly with the nearby Paradise Pier Hotel.

The proposed lot earmarked for the third gate is where the Toy Story Parking Lot currently sits. The Pumbaa Parking Lot (after transforming into another parking structure) would serve this third gate and funnel guests through the troubled Gardenwalk complex, bringing much needed business to those struggling venues. This could also in turn transform Gardenwalk into DTD 2.0.

This is the only way I could see them expanding without destroying or wasting time trying to get these successful businesses surrounding the resort to sell.

Isn't there some law though that states Disneyland - or any powerful business - could take as much land as it needs so long as it improves the local economy?

• Banned User

The place to buy up and mow over Motels (already in the back of Disney's mind) is the SouthEast Corner of Katella/Harbor it is lined up with seedy run-down Motels, not even Hotels lol who's architecture and furniture are from the 60's.and there's a sliver of land extending north from there across Katella and behind the current Hotels across from Dinnyland. I wish I could find a more current aerial shot of this but the only one I found is from the 90's and the Garden Walk takes up a chunk of it. it's sad they are running out of room for future expansion as well as the current parks ability to expand

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude12 View Post
    Guess you didn't read it very thoroughly, WildForMrToad thinks that if they had Harbour Blvd go through a tunnel, terrorists will blow up a truck driving underneath to collapse it.

God...I wish people would understand they are in more danger dying in a car accident on Harbor Blvd then they are of terrorists blowing it up. But nope, post 9/11 the news wants you to feel like you're always in danger of getting blown up by people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast