• Pilot EdForceOne

Segway Class Action Lawsuit against Disney finally settled

Disney has had several disputes over their policy to not allow Segways in the park for disabled people. This even went to a class action lawsuit against Disney.. and was the source of a few heated threads here as well Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

Well it seems a judge has finally closed the book on this one - and Disney 'wins'.

They had reached a settlement where Disney would still disallow Segways but Disney would invest in some 4 wheeled electric vehicles that would allow people to stand. Disney argued the 2 wheel vehicles posed too much risk to safety in their environment. But some groups were still opposed to the settlement.. including apparently the DOJ. Since then, the government updated their guidelines regarding Segway usage, including for theme/amusement parks... but it turns out those very guidelines were against the ADA law in the first place.. ha!

So now a judge has ruled that
    - the new guidelines are bunk in face of the law
    - the Disney policy was legit and reasonable
    - approved the previous settlement

So almost 4 years later.. finally done.. no segways in the park.. but look out for these new 4 wheel standing ECVs

A link to a blog with coverage on this from the disabled Disney community.. http://www.disunplugged.com/2011/04/...egway-lawsuit/
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'm not really here

Re: Segway Class Action Lawsuit against Disney finally settled

I like this judge. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Indiana Scott

Good decision.

• Banned User

Makes sense... people can't even push strollers and wheelchairs right around the park, let alone letting those things into a crowd.

Who wants to join my class action to get Disney to accept helper monkeys and helper mini horses (the ones that wear the high top shoes)?
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Makes sense... people can't even push strollers and wheelchairs right around the park, let alone letting those things into a crowd.
    Totally agree .. took the words right out of my mouth - Disneyland crowds these days are so fierce. How these could navigate .. without trampling over people .. seems just about impossible.

• Banned User

Segways can obviously topple over, which I think is the main problem, but the Disney recommended scooter seems to be a wreck waiting to happen. Scooters are designed to go fast unless they are modified to go very slowly with effective downshifting and braking. They will easily run into crowds. Make them use wheelchairs with lifts that can bring them to eye level when they are stationary.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Segways can obviously topple over, which I think is the main problem, but the Disney recommended scooter seems to be a wreck waiting to happen. Scooters are designed to go fast unless they are modified to go very slowly with effective downshifting and braking. They will easily run into crowds. Make them use wheelchairs with lifts that can bring them to eye level when they are stationary.
    The point of these people is not that they want to be eye level - it's that they are in better position standing then sitting.

And what makes you think a stand-up ECV is somehow more at risk of not being setup 'to go very slowly with effective downshifting and braking' vs the very scooters Disney already uses?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

I wonder if the new scooters have a high center of gravity with the person standing up. They could fall over if they are careless.