Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Why Disneyland Resort has Neglected Disney Films for attractions

there have been a Million Threads on the Disney-Pixar-Darkride-Debate

however,

it is understandable that Cars is a very successful franchise and in corporate Logic, Deserves its own Profit-Producing, Attraction filled land.

Carnival Ride Overlays, and Snack bar Names and Shops with disney characters names on windows are not Major attractions.

after 22 years we finally get The Little Mermaid. And in the last decade we have gotten, Buzz Astro blasters, Toy Story Midway, Nemo Subs, Monsters Inc., a Bugs Land and Now Radiator Springs Racers. (with Luigi's roaming Tires and Maters Junkyard for fun)

is this attention and neglect for Attractions based on Pixar Versus Disney Films a product of synergy? or have they assumed the general public favors more current and exciting Pixar Films to Classic Disney Films?
    like (Lion King, Aladdin, Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast) all of which would make great Dark Rides

Or are new attractions just strictly based on Profitable Franchises at the cost of storytelling and theme anymore? I love Pixar Films, but its almost obnoxious now how in the last 27 years all we got was Pinocchio and Winnie the Pooh (Not including Splash Mountain ) and Pixar got 2 Lands and well over 10 Attractions

whats your take?

Re: Why Disneyland Resort has Neglected Disney Films for attractions

I think DL (as opposed to Disney Corp) is mostly interested in adding "splash" rides that will spur and excite new fans to come to the park. They may be able to make great rides from many older titles like Mary Poppins or Treasure Planet, but those rides will not provide the marketing pull to encourage new visitors like the *massive* popularity of the Cars franchise with the under 7 set, or the immediate classic Disney cred that LM gives to the otherwise unmagical kingdom that is DCA.

I don't mind Pixar in the parks, I just think movies should have to "earn their keep" before becoming a ride or land. They should be around for several years, and still hold adoring fans. This goes both ways for me, though. Princess and the Frog is a fantastic movie, and will probably be a classic in a few years. But as of now, it hasn't earned a ride or land or restauraunt. In my opinion this should be the unwritten rule for ALL potential movie-based attractions; not just Pixar ones.

• Parking Lot > DCA

It's almost nice that some movies don't have their own attractions. Although I don't agree (or do agree, I guess) that every ride should be Pixar themed. It is what it is though, I suppose.

• Banned User

Im not opposed to Pixar attractions. They are now classic's to this generation. I think classic Disney is represented well enough with the fantasyland rides and meet and greets and parades. I am wanting more unique attractions like ToT or HM or Potc. Those with the completely new expereince is what I would love to see.

• Future Imagineer

I wouldn't mind if there were Pixar attractions if they were E-Ticket or D Ticket quality or at least unique which is why I like Toy Story Mania! Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, It's Tough To Be A Bug and I will enjoy CarsLand probably. I do enjoy Monsters Inc. for what it is. But on the other hand I would appreciate more classic Disney films represented or even recent films like Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Tangled, and Princess and the Frog.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DLRaddict View Post
    I wouldn't mind if there were Pixar attractions if they were E-Ticket or D Ticket quality or at least unique which is why I like Toy Story Mania! Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, It's Tough To Be A Bug and I will enjoy CarsLand probably. I do enjoy Monsters Inc. for what it is. But on the other hand I would appreciate more classic Disney films represented or even recent films like Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Tangled, and Princess and the Frog.
    Maybe not Treasure Planet and Atlantis.

• Banned User

I think that there are a few overstatements in people's assumptions. I don't buy the whole Disney is only out for marketing crap. Yes, that's an issue, but there are real artists and people there who want quality attractions based on quality films. WOC is a PERFECT example of this. Steve Davison had to fight to get Hunchback and Pocahontas segments, and yet, there they are, and they're two extremely powerful scenes that have become fan favorites. I'm not a Pixar person, especially not Cars, but I've been impressed with everything else that's gone into the DCA redo, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Does this movie, or ANY movie really deserve an entire land? Probably not, BUT it does fit the California theme, and it's apparently become very popular with kids. What I find the most confusing is that their classics are still popular. Just look at the success of the Princess franchise. Those characters are still selling, and attracting guests. Little Mermaid was long overdue for an attraction, but how can they ignore Beauty and the Beast, Lion King etc.??? I don't think they all lend themselves to dark rides, but there are several movies that should be given a permanent home and that still hit hard with fans.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Maybe not Treasure Planet and Atlantis.

those are my favorite from the 2000 decade lol

mostly for the Animation in both, the story and Humor too

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I think that there are a few overstatements in people's assumptions. I don't buy the whole Disney is only out for marketing crap. Yes, that's an issue, but there are real artists and people there who want quality attractions based on quality films. WOC is a PERFECT example of this. Steve Davison had to fight to get Hunchback and Pocahontas segments, and yet, there they are, and they're two extremely powerful scenes that have become fan favorites. I'm not a Pixar person, especially not Cars, but I've been impressed with everything else that's gone into the DCA redo, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Does this movie, or ANY movie really deserve an entire land? Probably not, BUT it does fit the California theme, and it's apparently become very popular with kids. What I find the most confusing is that their classics are still popular. Just look at the success of the Princess franchise. Those characters are still selling, and attracting guests. Little Mermaid was long overdue for an attraction, but how can they ignore Beauty and the Beast, Lion King etc.??? I don't think they all lend themselves to dark rides, but there are several movies that should be given a permanent home and that still hit hard with fans.
    well said,

Carsland will be a Micro Money Making machine and it was brilliant Marketing move.

Im am so grateful for the Hunchback scene in WOC you have no idea, its like the only sight sound or mention the film gets it gets in the whole resort

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Pixar saved Disney movie wise....just saying....They get more awards, money and reviews than most the Disney movies from the Time Tarzan was released though Bolt.

As much as hard core Disney fans like movies in the early 2000's.....most did not get good reviews, money or awards....while Pixar kept out doing them selves and making movies that could make adults cry again and even DISNEY movies like Bolt and Tangled have been inspired by Pixar and Jon Lassander.

If done right a Monsters Inc, Bugs Life, and Wall-E ride could be REALLY cool but they did not put enough into Buzz, Monsters, or Nemo for me to like them as much as rides based off Disney films such as Peter Pan, Splash or Alice.

The New Cars Racers will work PERFECTLY for a ride at the parks and will be just as popular as Indy or Pirates. I would love to see a Lion King ride just as much as an Up ride....if done right

• Banned User

they just never seemed to expand above the Disney Renaissance...and with Toy story coming out in 1995-- the Lion King, it seems was their last amazing, high grossing, award winning film

• Minion

Honestly, I'd much rather have them spend their time, effort, and money making DCA not lame than cram in another ride in DL. I say fix what's broken first (DCA) and then enhance the original.

• Banned User

hopefully after DCA

Tomorrowland will get taken off the ventilator

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Pixar saved Disney movie wise....just saying....They get more awards, money and reviews than most the Disney movies from the Time Tarzan was released though Bolt.

As much as hard core Disney fans like movies in the early 2000's.....most did not get good reviews, money or awards....while Pixar kept out doing them selves and making movies that could make adults cry again and even DISNEY movies like Bolt and Tangled have been inspired by Pixar and Jon Lassander.

If done right a Monsters Inc, Bugs Life, and Wall-E ride could be REALLY cool but they did not put enough into Buzz, Monsters, or Nemo for me to like them as much as rides based off Disney films such as Peter Pan, Splash or Alice.

The New Cars Racers will work PERFECTLY for a ride at the parks and will be just as popular as Indy or Pirates. I would love to see a Lion King ride just as much as an Up ride....if done right
    Off Topic:

I agree in part with this. They've definitely been successful, my issue lies in their style. I HATE computer animated films. Particularly when they involve people. Repunzel looks so soulless and alien like with her huge blank eyes. I think Toy Story works, but only because they're supposed to look fake and plastic. For all the credit it gets, the human characters look horrible in CGI, and for me I can't take them seriously. Also, Pixar works in contemporary stories. This keeps them from fitting into Disneyland because it's based in so many specific periods, and styles. As I said, Cars at the very least, fits into DCA's theme.

I also agree that the 2000s were not good for Disney. I haven't loved anything since Hunchback, although Mulan has its moments. Frog was decent, but there were major mistakes, mostly made by using Randy Newman. From what I can tell, they didn't have the you-know-whats to continue doing their mature themed films that had for the most part, been their bread and butter in the 90s. Hercules was a huge slap in the face to anyone hoping for a strong follow up to Hunchback and Pocahontas, and they have yet to reclaim that glory. Either in story telling, musical scoring, or strong 2D animation.

Back on topic:

Now as far as films that aren't being used, Beauty and the Beast, and Lion King are unforgivable oversights. but logistically where would they go? They were both given great live shows when they were released. Shows that stayed long passed the normal amount of time, but now what do you do? Lion King can only go in Adventureland, which is the smallest of the areas. There's simply no where to put it. Aladdin's Oasis could be used as something, but Aladdin also deserves some representation. I suppose we can ignore that until the stage show closes though. Beauty and the Beast wouldn't work as a dark ride to me. It would come across as generic I think. I would love to see a walk through, or (and this will NEVER happen) the castle redone to fit this movie. Ours is by far the smallest and least explorable of the Disney park castles, but like I said, I'm sure its design is set in stone. And I'm not sure I'd want it to change, I just can't think of anything else permanent that would really represent that film well. One of the other parks should have really used this castle by now, but oh well. Other films that are ignored would include Jungle Book, (but that goes back to the Adventureland issue) Pocahontas, (which SHOULD be in Frontierland. The festival arena could easily have a her village) like Disneyland Paris and many more but you get the idea. You have to think about theme and realistic execution guys. But as I said before, if Mermaid can just now get something, the classics are not dead, they just need the RIGHT attraction in order to be represented well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast