Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Talking Why Original Attractions Are Good For Business

I think we all know why movie-based attractions are good for business. People already have a connection to them, and it makes them want to visit the park, just so they can "live the movie." (Indeed, I want to go to Universal's Islands of Adventure to enter the world of Harry Potter). Their presence also cross promotes other movie-related products.

Walt knew this too. This is why the Disney classics had their home in Fantasyland, and ties to other Disney properties, such as the True-Life Adventures in Adventureland, were also made.

Walt gave the public what they expected. People do expect to see Disney film properties in a Disney park, and this was just one of many problems with DCA 1.0. HOWEVER, Walt also gave the public more than they expected, which is why, from Day One, there have been attractions that were not based on any specific Disney movie, but stood on their own.

I don't think anybody thinks that Disney should stop making movie-based attractions. But I'm here to say that original attractions can also be good for business.

The classic non-movie-based attractions of Disneyland are just as identified with "Disneyness" as any movie or TV show. In the beginning, they were designed by some of the same artists that worked at the movie studio. They are not esoteric, inaccessible cult classics, liked only by obsessive fans, (as they are sometimes portrayed.) Most were wildly popular when they were unveiled, and several remain popular decades later.

They feature original music, including "In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room", "Yo Ho Yo Ho (A Pirates Life for Me)", "Grim Grinning Ghosts" and of course, "it's a small world". Everyone knows these songs. Numerous albums have been sold.

These attractions helped Disneyland establish its identity as an entertainment entity in its own right, which, I believe, is one of the reasons it's so synonymous with the quality theme park experience, and enjoys such popularity today, and why other parks which attempt to lure guests in with well-known properties are not always as successful. The popularity of Pirates the ride is surely what led to the greenlighting of Pirates the movie, since pirate films were considered dead in the water at that point. And that became a huge cash cow for Disney.

Attractions like Pirates and HM captured the essence of subjects that held a prominent place in the popular consciousness. This is why Soarin' is so popular because people everywhere dream of flying. And this is why Soarin' got cloned at Epcot, and I've read it's very popular there, too.

If DCA wants to establish its own identity as a full-fledged theme park, what would help do so better than a distinct-to-DCA original E-ticket an immersive ride with the detail of Pirates or HM that would say, "this is what DCA is all about."

It also helped that, even as late as the mid-90's, movie-based attractions were approached much more like originals, putting the guest at the center of the adventure, focusing on atmosphere and setting, rather than pushing marketable characters. I hope that this will be the case with The Little Mermaid and Radiator Springs Racers.

And lastly...if you've got some of the most creative people in the world on staff, it seems like kind of a waste if you don't at least give them a shot at creating something original. From Mickey Mouse to Star Wars, everything that's popular today was once an unknown new thing that somebody had to take a chance on making. And you never know what the Imagineers might come up with, given the chance to go truly "blue sky", instead of being locked in the "blue sky cellar" . I also think Pixar should have a shot at developing an original attraction, the way Walt's studio artists did back in the day. You could promote it as "from the makers of Toy Story and Finding Nemo, comes an all-new adventure that can only be experienced at the Disneyland Resort!"
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Not on the Jedi Council

Re: Why Original Attractions Are Good For Business

Well said. A well developed attraction, like Pirates, could also later help develop films.

• -

One of the best examples of an original ride not based on a movie is the ride that tops the list of past attractions that people most want to see revived... the Peoplemover.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The Western Expansion is the next and (may last for a while) hope fot a ride not based on a movie/book/TV show.

For Tomorrowland I just feel like there is a chance for maybe one new attraction not based off Tron or Wall-E but only time will tell since both Buzz and Nemo cam in that land too.

But just saying according to the Disney Blog on a poll Splash was the one of the most poplar rides at the Park so just saying its not always what the ride is based on (kust look at Cars new E ticket ride) but how much time and money go into the projects that make an attraction that will stay with us after we leave the parks.

^It certainly isn't the movie connection that makes Splash Mountain enjoyable. For the first fifteen years of my life I didn't know that it was based on a movie.
    www.youtube.com/lundopictures

This is exactly what I've always thought. I love the rides that remind you of your childhood, and nothing else. Remember playing cowboys and indians? "Flying" off the couch? Racing bikes down your driveway? Looking for lost treasure in the grass of your backyard? It's fun, childish scenarios like this that make for great rides.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Director_Guy View Post
    ^It certainly isn't the movie connection that makes Splash Mountain enjoyable. For the first fifteen years of my life I didn't know that it was based on a movie.
    Originally Splash Mountain was going to be themed to another movie...the Touchstone film "Splash". That's why it's called Splash Mountain. (I'm not making this up, I actually read about it somewhere!)

Anyway, I do agree that original attractions are good but are much more challenging for Imagineers to take on. Many of the non-movie based attractions that are still in the parks were those made by Walt himself. That's their lasting power. Any original attractions made these days have to rely on thrill factor or provide a unique extraordinary experience you wouldn't find in a typical movie-based attraction (ex Soarin).
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Originally Splash Mountain was going to be themed to another movie...the Touchstone film "Splash". That's why it's called Splash Mountain. (I'm not making this up, I actually read about it somewhere!)

Anyway, I do agree that original attractions are good but are much more challenging for Imagineers to take on. Many of the non-movie based attractions that are still in the parks were those made by Walt himself. That's their lasting power. Any original attractions made these days have to rely on thrill factor or provide a unique extraordinary experience you wouldn't find in a typical movie-based attraction (ex Soarin).
    Yeah, that was Eisner's idea that got tossed out fast... namely cause that'd suck all kinds of ***. The original name for the ride was gonna be Zip-a-dee-do Drop. Splash Mountain at least rolls off the tongue better.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Director_Guy View Post
    I would say the same about Toy Story Mania or Roger Rabbit both are just great rides that happen to have characters from movies.

I think Pirates and HM are two of the best rides ever made but if they were done cheap or not right then just like a movie ride they would suck....really what makes a ride good is not soo much if its tied to a movie or not but if it is a good ride.

• Banned User

an entertaining attraction is a good attraction. much like Mystic Manor, which wont rely on a franchise to be uber successful

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I think it was Samland you read that...when he compared the DL and WDW versions of the ride.
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

• Banned User

The "Splash" Darryl Hanna Mermaid Mountain is found in a lot of online articles about Splash Mountain and the ol' once Eisner's son rode it they were sold story back when it was
    Zip-a-dee River Run (which im guessing where the Grizzly River Run part of the name came)

Many offshore Parks have attractions not based on films that have such amazing and elaborate story lines and themes like Hotel Hightower in DisneySEA or Mystic Manor in HKDL to mention a few. they should start bringing back those attractions with Original "from scratch" story lines and give the Synergy-Based rides a rest for a while...

• Blew By You

I rather agree. As an example, Pirates of the Carribean is a gem. An attraction and a restaurant built for the entertainment of Disneyland fans. But like the modern day double header, I doubt that Disney would ever build an attraction with a restaurant within the same building (can I count the Mexican pavilion at WDW?). The next new Tomorrowland could do it, don't know why DCA didn't do it.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuppence a Bag View Post
    This is exactly what I've always thought. I love the rides that remind you of your childhood, and nothing else. Remember playing cowboys and indians? "Flying" off the couch? Racing bikes down your driveway? Looking for lost treasure in the grass of your backyard? It's fun, childish scenarios like this that make for great rides.
    I disagree. You just end up back to where Disney runs into problems, this postmodern view that everything is being looked at through the lens of being a child, and far too often that is deemed childish. Instead of rich immersive environments and experiences that seek to present themselves as real, lived in places you get places that are obviously fake (original Disney's California Adventure) or places that do not convey a sense of history, but just get highly decorated with reference to Disney's own past. Frontierland was not about playing cowboys and Indians like a child, but supposed to be a real experience of the American frontier. Disneyland saw itself as being very much a real place and Disney I think Disney is at their best when they offer up experiences intended to be viewed by all as real, not through a frame of reference. Original attractions are so scary to many because they involve this bizarre and "childish" perspective, but an association to the right franchises already has a built in ability to be referenced as an evocation of the past and one's own childhood and the vicarious enjoyment of other children.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    If DCA wants to establish its own identity as a full-fledged theme park, what would help do so better than a distinct-to-DCA original E-ticket – an immersive ride with the detail of Pirates or HM – that would say, "this is what DCA is all about."
    Hmmm. Haven't we been through this before? SuperStar Limo and Golden Dreams. These were original attractions for DCA. Certainly, the detail wasn't there, but the originality was a flop. That's why they went back to fix DCA with movie based ideas that were from actual HITS like the Pixar movies.

Now, you have to tell me what exactly is DCA and what its true identity. The park is now about Walt Disney's California Adventure, yet you have a mixed message with the heavy emphasis on Pixar movies, The Little Mermaid, and Tower of Terror. None of these properties had anything to do with Walt Disney when he was alive.

It would be nice to have a boat ride with a storyline about Walt's California. It should be exciting with original music and such. However, I have great difficulty in figuring out how it would be done TODAY. Expectations are much much higher than before. The public's interest in nostalgia have decreased. People want something new and contemporary. Today's California is in the dumps. The state can't wait until it drives out all the high paying jobs and everyone makes minimum wage.

I do agree that Pixar could be the correct creative team to create an original attraction. However, again, why would it preclude the release of a movie? It is almost complementary. In fact, I think the idea might be so good that they had to first release the movie and then build the attraction, thus defeating your idea that the ride is original and non-movie based.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast