Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Disney Executives on MiceChat?

Quote Originally Posted by michaeleisner View Post
    Aashee: Why do they spend "millions having those people with electronic clipboards ask what customers think?" First, they don't spend "millions". Second, they don't ask what you think. They ask you specially designed questions to elicit a specific type of response for a specific goal. Trust me, when there is a meeting of the suits, they do not sit around and say: "I was reading michchat, and Aashee said......".
    They could care less what I say. But if enough people say "WOC is unwatchable because you get too wet" or "I can't see the new projections that were upgraded" they may look into it. Let's see, maybe 100 employees taking surveys, others taking that data, all the electronic equipment used to take the info, all the big wigs deciding what to do with the feedback. Yup, I'd say millions of dollars..

• Parking Lot > DCA

They do the same to social networking sites and CM's. I am sure it's a somewhat-consistent thing to make sure that CM's aren't giving out any "backstage" info or things that give Disney a bad show.

• Disneyland History Lover

Of course they read the discussion boards. A company the size of Disney has to be aware of things. That's not to say they're always reading, always taking things seriously, and always taking away ideas. In the grand scheme of things, forums truly are a very small part of the big picture. I work for a company that's known in our industry; we're miniscule compared to Disney, but we can see the value in keeping infrequent tabs on what's being said about us. We'd be fools to turn a blind eye to all the discussion and going-ons that are a result of what we do.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Why shouldn't executives at Disney value our opinions and ideas? We're the target audience!!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Banned User

Of course they do!

There have been insider's that obviously have high roles post here and other sites, although, ummm, they dont give away their position of course. The point is not if they dont come on these sites, they clearly do, its what they come on them FOR? Most people seem to think its to gauge guest reactions to things and probably the most obvious answer. Although yes, a website devoted to ONE hobby you are going to get the extremist and the geeks who see this stuff a little more warped than the average customer, but those same extremist knows this stuff inside out and they are good at judging audience reactions and not just their own thoughts on it, although its usually about that. But PLENTY of people saw and predicted the dud reactions to DCA, HKDL and WDSP waaay before they opened to the general public. Many people predicted attractions like Pooh wouldnt keep many people interested, again they were right. Most instant reactions to other rides/shows like Nemo, WOC, Celebration parade, TSM, etc have been pretty much a good representation of overall audience reactions to these attractions, good and bad and so in other words, if these boards GENERALLY like something, they know the overall audience probably will. They hate it, then that to.

Its also a good reason why AP previews are very good as well. Not only do they get word of mouth going since a lot of them are on boards like this, they can just come and listen to the vast amount of reviews for an attraction days/weeks before an official opening and plan accordingly. And while I'm sure guest surveys and WDI direct input had a huge deal on the DCA expansion, I also have NO doubt years of moaning and whining on boards like this about the crappy areas like PP, the entrance, the farm areas and other bad areas in that park made an impact on execs what needed to be changed the most. Again, not saying they ONLY figured that out through the internet, but I'm guessing a good deal of what they found out in survey's that they spent a lot of money and man hours compiling probably told them what they couldve got for free on sites like this.

Of course the main problem is weeding out the minutiae and when knowning its more fanboy mantra that boards like this get too caught up in, where their own biasness and reactions to overall additions/changes DO miss the mark with general audiences. The Jack Sparrow additions in POTC for example, you read boards like this, you would think it was the worst idea ever done and people are not riding the ride over it. But you look at actual data and those additions have made the ride MORE popular and attendance have increased for the ride in ALL the parks with those additions in years. TDL probably had the best surge with these additions. I cant imagine what will happen this summer with yet another movie. If execs have been reading these threads to hear how Glow Fest would be recieved, then they probably wouldve shut the whole thing down before opening lol. Even though the idea of GF was panned on this site and was doomed to failure, it became a huge hit at DCA, bought in a lot of alcohol and food sales and became SUCH a hit, it spawned off Electronica which is just as popular. That event has been extended from its original April shut down (this month) to now through September. And as much as we complain about the aggressive tooning of these parks, the AP 'problem', FP issues, etc, Disney has only EXPANDED most of these things now, so its not exactly they are taking their que from websites like this on everything. They obviously know there some things will be seen differently from casual fans vs hardcore traditionalists and for us our motive is about legacy which is different from their motive, money!!! So yeah, these boards doesnt always get it right on the pulse and you would have to be an idiot to make big decisions from the internet alone...and of course they dont anyway!

But social media has become the most important tool of communication today. Hell, they opened their own blog site because they know how important it is to get the message out first because of others and they WANT to know what people think, even in a general way. How do people think word-of-mouth carries for a product today? Internet. Movies use to live and die on critic reviews in the paper on Friday afternoon. Thanks to the internet, technically everyone is a critic, just not a professional one. But movie companies spend lots of money scanning movie sites to gauge audience reactions. Disney would be foolish to COMPLETELY ignore the internet based on the same issue. I'm sure take it VERY seriously in some aspects, but no, I doubt they decide to ax years of planning and millions spent on something or build the ultimate $400 million E ticket because of people rants and ideas on the internet lol. Disney would go bankrupt listening to many of those ideas even if they could use them. BUT, it is a way to figure out how to change or create a message, sometimes just for us (I have NO doubt they now use buzz words like 'E ticket', 'immersive theming' etc in communication because people on websites like this constantly use them), gauging audience reactions to future projects and even viewing complaints like how the park are run or managed, of course! In this day and age how could they not?
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 04-15-2011 at 06:37 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    We always try to answer the questions for those guys since most people seem to avoid them like they are carriers of the plague.
    Which also points out the limitations of the guest survey in the park. Who actually stops for them? I'm like you, mycroft, in that I quite often do, since so many people seem to treat them like pariahs. But even the people who don't treat them poorly/ignore them, you still only get a self-selected group of people who stop and respond. As a parent, if I'd come from out of town and spent hundred and hundreds on my trip and had a full day at the park and was wrangling 3 kids who are tired and hungry or just so hot all they want to do is swim in the hotel pool, would I stop to take a survey? No.

Because there's no way to MAKE people stop and take a survey, the exit survey is not really an accurate cross-section of every different kind of guest. It's guests who are willing to take a survey. And hopefully in the big picture, you do get enough of a variety to make the survey worthwhile, but I think it would be interesting to just casually observe who actually stops to answer the questions. I think it's probably heavily-weighted toward locals (who have the time) and APs (who come often enough to not be bothered by it) and other people who take surveys for a living and feel sorry for the CMs .

That's why they use a wide variety of information-gathering. The exit survey, the entrance "what's your email address? is this correct? okay have a magical day!" survey, the DTD survey, and yes, Micechat, MP, and other big fan sites and blogs.

No, they're not going to get big ideas for new attractions from us, but it's pretty easy to weed out the complaining and rumors/theories and find threads that contain information that's actually useful. Just because they're here, that doesn't mean they read everything, but they'd be stupid to ignore a rich source of fan information, and they're not stupid.

• 秘密のヘルツ

Smile Re: Disney Executives on MiceChat?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
    I know the producers of the current Doctor Who series try to stay away from web boards because fans pick on just about everything no matter what they do.
    That's just because Steven Moffat is a misogynistic hack.* But that's a discussion for another board.

I think it's a certainty that Disney employees (even high-ranking ones) occasionally visit these boards, but I think it's mostly for curiosity's sake. I think if they can make decisions that make us happy, they think that's awesome. And if they make decisions that make us foam at the mouth, they basically shrug it off. And I don't say that as an insult. I mean, we're basically just a vocal minority; as much as I hate to say it, maybe it's better than we Uberfans don't always get our way.

But I'm sure, occasionally, someone on these boards (or other fan sites) brings up a good point that catches the eye of someone in charge, and is then taken under serious consideration. Maybe even every once in a blue moon, a fan suggestion leads to actual results in the parks.

But I think we're mostly just here for the amusement and occasional ire of Those In Charge.

*Just my opinion.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Disney reads every board out there that in any way mentions the Company. The server logs for my website have hits from the Disney IP addresses everyday, mostly the Burbank proxy, 204.128.XXX.XXX or Walt Disney World, 192.195.XXX.XXX.

And while we are talking about Disney reading these threads, a big shout out to ED! Hi ED!

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    Of course they read the discussion boards. A company the size of Disney has to be aware of things. That's not to say they're always reading, always taking things seriously, and always taking away ideas. In the grand scheme of things, forums truly are a very small part of the big picture. I work for a company that's known in our industry; we're miniscule compared to Disney, but we can see the value in keeping infrequent tabs on what's being said about us. We'd be fools to turn a blind eye to all the discussion and going-ons that are a result of what we do.
    Wow I didn't realize when creating this thread, it would cause such a deep and meaningful response. Lot of varying opinions, I like it. Anyways I agree with Princess Victoria here's response the most. Just because they might not use information posted here doesn't mean they're not here reading at least every once in awhile. It would be foolish to not even check-in every once in awhile.
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

• Not on the Jedi Council

Quote Originally Posted by jupitertronic View Post
    That's just because Steven Moffat is a misogynistic hack.* But that's a discussion for another board.
    Nah, he ain't misogynistic... he hates everybody. He truly is.. the most intelligent man... in the world. But believe it or not, he actually insulted me on a Who web board once before he ran the show. I was thinking more Russell T Davies, who is shy about meeting with fans because we can be such a tetchy bunch, again, no matter what the topic is.

And to stay on topic, yeah, I would agree they check in, but only use it as one stream of data.

Executives...no. They are way too busy with more important things then to hear us blab and complain about the park.

Imagineer's...yes.

Tours Departing Daily - Disneyland Resort Photography

• Nerd

I can't imagine(eer) a more exciting thing to do in a day as a Disney executive than check out all the whining and complaining and arm chair quarterbacking about every little detail at every single park that they have worked on. Wow, refreshing...like stepping in dog doo.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    I can't imagine(eer) a more exciting thing to do in a day as a Disney executive than check out all the whining and complaining and arm chair quarterbacking about every little detail at every single park that they have worked on. Wow, refreshing...like stepping in dog doo.

Exactly

Tours Departing Daily - Disneyland Resort Photography

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    Reading MiceChat is "like stepping in dog doo?" You don't know canine fecal matter until you've hung out in executive meetings at TDA & TDB.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Why shouldn't executives at Disney value our opinions and ideas? We're the target audience!!
    No, you're not. The guests in the park are a cross section of the target audience, and their feedback is the most accurate. As I've noted earlier (twice) in this thread, the internet generally doesn't give an accurate representation of a consumer's temperature. For operations such as theme parks, the most accurate way to get that temperature is by polling park guests, and that's what Disney does regularly.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast