Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Everyone is seeking some sort of instant gratification- fix it now, make it better now
    I totally disagree. I don't see people demanding $1 billion be spent this year. I'm pretty sure everyone realizes it will take 5-10-15 years or more to do whatever oue personal long-term goals for the park are.

What we are discussing is what direction we think that long-term goal should try to take the park.

1) Better execution of the more adult, not like Disneyland, try to steal guests from other area attractions, create places rather than tell stories, hip and edgy, (mundane reality) theme.

Ideas in this vein are:
    Expand the bay area and add cable cars.
    Los Angeles expansion.
    Bring in more art and literature type themes.
    An edutainment-y gold rush themed area.
    Sacramento with the capitol recreated.

2) Abandon the initial concept. Ditch the California theme. Dump reality and adult, hip and edgy vibe, and remake the park into fantastic, imaginative and magical.

Ideas in this vein are:
    Under-the-sea-land
    1930's Hollywood that never was
    Mysterious Island, Volcania
    Expanded Bugsland
    and just about anything the imagination can dream up.

It isn't a debate about timeline. It is a debate about direction.

I'm not sure that 1930s Hollywood that was only in the movies would be out of place in concept No. 1. Noir is very adult.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

I tiny part of me still hopes DCA might become Disney's America.

• Banned User

No it will never capture the magic. The only solution is to take the loss, tear it down(or at least most of it) and turn it into either Westcot, Disney's America, or MGM Studios.

• șoș Tom șoș

Its is impossible for Disney to save face and shut it down. They have not shut down a failing park yet, and have turned some of the less profitable parks around. If you look at this history of theme parks, renaming and reinventing parks has not been a success.

Oh and Disneyland IS Disney's America--

And dshmiel, you might be one of a few people debating the merits of a long term goal and prospects of a plan that requires 5-10-15 years but these DCA posts seem filled with people with delusions of grandeur about a revamped park happening anytime soon.

The concept will NOT be ditched, history has shown us this much. We can hope for a new team of people coming in and revitilizing the park with expansions and alterations but we need to let the park grow a few more years before we can expect an overhaul of any significance.

• Disney Dad & Disney Nuts

Will DCa Ever Capture tha Magic?

Sadly, I think the answer is no!

the park consitently falls last on the tracking lists for every Disney theme park, Even AK I believe does a better job.

I also beleive the theme for DCA is fundemenally flwaed, not in that they missed in the grand concept, but they missed in so many areas trying to accomplish too much. Is this a park for the older kids and familes who are looking for the disney experience but not the characters or "Kiddie feel"

Or is this park something new entriely, A Grand Experiment to give you something Disney that has never been seen?

In both cases the park has failed miserably. The core problem with all of the Disney expansion is the "love" for building the park is lost or at minimum watered down. Disneyland is the only park Walt had the chance to "personally" oversee. It seems that only the Japanese have been able to tap into this same underlying concept. Build a park and attractions that allow kids to be kids and Adults to be kids.

Disney itself has lost that concept and is focused solely on increasing brands in untapped markets. They way you do this is to Cheapen the brand and bully your way into the market. That sounds a lot like waht is happening in Hong Kong right now. Give them a shoddy product charge full price for it and then add on future elements to keep them coming back.

What other park could have survived the past 10 years of mismanagement and still operate profitably? Now were are talking a full decade. DCA itself is little more than one extra reason to extend you stay one more day at the resort. However Paradise Pier looks really cool at night! too bad it isn's open for the public enjoyment!

WDI

• It's all nonsense

Is DCA worse than disney studios paris (i think that's what its called)? Because I've read that it's really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    Is DCA worse than disney studios paris (i think that's what its called)? Because I've read that it's really bad.
    no

read the reviews

DisneyStudio's WISHES it was DCA

of course there most people claim the theme idea itself was sort of good but they made it too much of just a fake backlot and exicuted everything poorly, now they're attempting to fix that problem by making the path's hubs and everything else about even the infulstructure so flawed that it'll take years to fix it (that's a whole other tory though)

• Banned User

Its is impossible for Disney to save face and shut it down.
    I don't see any reason they need to "save face". In fact, I think they should celebrate the chage... MAJOR marketing oppertunity. "We tried somethig different, and you didn't like it, so now we're focused on giving YOU what YOU want!" "Reality bites, bring on the MAGIC!"... SOOO many marketing messages available the mind boggles at the possibilities.

I agree. It won't be shut down.... But it is already going in a different direction from when it opened. The park opened without any characters (other than the 2 3D-direct-lift movies). Now there are characters all over the place.

The debate is, how far in another direction will it go. Some seem content to dump the "now" park of the "here and now" theme. Keep it California, just romanticized, historical California instead.

I'd like to see it go much further... Dumping not only the "now", but there reality "here" as well.

If you look at this history of theme parks, renaming and reinventing parks has not been a success.
    EuroDisney, Disneyland Paris didn't seem to go so badly.

They're about to lose the MGM name form MGM studio.... Now they just need to lose the studios...

The concept will NOT be ditched, history has shown us this much.
    I would disagree. Currently, Epcot Future World is being transformed away from the Future World concept. There is nothing future about Elen's Energy Adventure, Test Track, Misson:Space, Crush the turtle, or Soarin'.

DL's Tomorrowland was a disaster, but that was budget driven not because of the change in the concept.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    It isn't a debate about timeline. It is a debate about direction.

I don't really see is as much of a "debate" really, everyone knows it needs to go in some direction, any direction is better than floating in the Purgatory it is in now... But we could debate it...
    Check out my other blog:

• șoș Tom șoș

Yesssssss dshimel (what does that mean anyways)

They have renamed a few parks (in other countries) but largely Disney does not just "drop" a park. Its also a horriable marketing idea- its counterproductive. "Oh we could have built a better park from the beginning but we chose a lukewarm set of attractions and a theme we knew you wouldn't like and now we are running like a dog with its tail between its legs to revamp it, welcome to muddle as f--- land." I think not.

Disney does not back down, admit mistakes or run tail. They face challanges head on or go around them. Look at Pixar, it was there way or the highway. Do I agree? Not completly but it is cool that they have a spine and stick to there guns.

Renamed areas, new rides, innovented themes- sure thats a great path to recovery. Rename, demolish and reinvention is not a mark of a themepark, its the theme of a corperation avoiding negative publicity.

MGM is loosing the name because the relationship with Disney and MGM is not what it was in the 80's. Hence this park wasn't an MGM clone in its outright development.

I agree, focus on the richness of the state of Ca is a great approach, but it will be "Disney focused" painted witha rose colored lens. The themes like
    -Gold Rush
    -Mexican Heritage
    -San Fran
    -1930's Hollywood

...are all great approaches to revamp and reinnovate the park without running tail, and I think thats what we will see.

• Reaver of Souls

Ya wanna see changes, rally family and friends to pick up stock in the public traded company and as part owner, demand to be heard.
    Now THAT'S funny! My wife and I have a few thousand dollars in Disney stock, and they wouldn't hear us unless we showed up at a shareholder's meeting with bombs strapped to our chests.

Face it, unless there's a HUGE rally behind something or someone by the shareholders (and I'm talking 80% or more), it isn't seen as that pressing of a matter. Eisner is still in place, even though most of us would have liked to have seen both he and 3/4 of the bored tossed out on their greedy, incompitent behinds long ago. Why hasn't it happened? Because you'll never get that much of a majority together in a united front, and the guys with the real money and the six figure amount in stocks make the big decisions for us, whether we like it or not.

Those of us with smaller holdings just sit back and hope they make the right ones...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    EuroDisney, Disneyland Paris didn't seem to go so badly.
    You got to be kidding me...

It should have been built in Spain, it would have saved them truck loads of cash and be just as effective maybe more...

But it was a park built on Eisner's Vanity... Over budget for more than obvious reasons... Oh yeah, it looks pretty but will likely never be in profit at least not another 100 years...
    Check out my other blog:

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    But it was a park built on Eisner's Vanity... Over budget for more than obvious reasons...
    But there's a dragon under the castle....a dragon for goodness sakes! I don't care how crappy the park is, the dragon would make up for it for me

• Banned User

Yesssssss dshimel (what does that mean anyways)
    What does "dshimel" mean? It's my first initial / last name. D(arrell) Shimel....

And I still see no reason not to continue to move away from the mundane reality theme and eventually rename the park.

Esiner won't let it happen as long as he is there, but no man is CEO forever!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast