Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Had an interesting Space Mountain experience. Rocket turned left instead of right.

I'm fairly aware how the ride works, and know that before the ride takes off you are weighed by the person sitting behind the window. So, the shuttle made a surprising left turn instead of a right. Sure enough, upon looking around at the people on the ride I noticed that there were quite a few overweight people. We were told that the rocket was "too fast" which I'd imagine meant that there was too much weight on it. Honestly, I don't know exactly how much everyone else weighed or anything, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot worse, which had me kind of surprised.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar experience or anything.

• Goofy

Re: Had an interesting Space Mountain experience. Rocket turned left instead of right

that happen to me on that part once before. why does it go left?

Re: Had an interesting Space Mountain experience. Rocket turned left instead of right

From what I've heard before the experience, they weigh the rocket before what is normally the right turn. If the rocket is too heavy, they'll have it turn to the left out of fear of it crashing into the next rocket on the ride or something.

The thing that weirded me out is that I've been on the ride about twenty times in the last month and could have sworn I've been surrounded by people more overweight than the ones I was sharing the rocket with when it did turn to the left. But I guess sometimes people weigh more than what they look like or something. I don't know. :/

• Future Imagineer

I never did this before. But it is on youtube YouTube - Space Mountain Disneyland: Backstage View

• Banned User

Ha, a guy I was working w/ during my internship for school told me that happened to him and his family back before he lost weight... pretty much if you have 4 or more people on one that are over 200lbs, you get denied.

• Banned User

I got a kick out of how the cast member completely ignored the video poster's question about the coaster being overweight.

• Missing my AP

That happens to me every time I try to ride, now I know why. Just kidding. That has happened to me before, many years ago. I'm a big guy so I guess its good that they dont come out and say its because the car is overweight or somebody might get their feelings hurt. Of course I would be proud to say that I was the cause.
    "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

• Banned User

Did they make some people get out to spread their weight on another car?

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Wow, I didn't know they weigh the train. That's pretty interesting. These are the details of park operation I find fascinating. Thanks for posting!
    DL Trips: '78, '84, '89, '90, '91, '96, '03, '06, '07(x2), '08, '10(x2), '12
    DW Trips: '08
    International parks: Some day...

• Disneyland History Lover

This happened to me and my friend last year. We were fixing to to on our way and then the train suddenly went left. It didn't go that far in like in that video... just far enough in that so that we'd be out of the way of the trains behind us. A larger gentleman in front of us turned around and said "Sorry!" I'm guessing he felt he was the cause of the detour. I don't recall if we all got on a new train or if some of us got on a different one, but we were able to ride before long.

They may have to do this on IASW soon. We were sailing with a Samoan family and another inch lower and we would have started to take on water.

This happened once to me - someone on the rocket was too large to get the lap bar to push down, so we went left. They got everyone off, had the rest of us double back around and get onto a different rocket.
    Last edited by CSC; 04-17-2011 at 02:35 PM.

• resident teen n00b

NEVER knew about this.
    A really cool fact, I guess!
    Yo soy Ryan/Horizons

Look at the stars. The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars....
    So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you. And so will I.

“You want my information? Name: Shannon Rutherford, Age: 20, Address: Craphole Island.”

For the record, he was the best that ever came through this dump. John Dorian was the first and only doctor I ever met who cared as much as I do. And you can forget about him being just an exceptional physician because the fact of the matter is...he's a da*n exceptional person. That's why people gravitated to him. That's why I did. He was my friend.

“It doesn’t matter who we were. It only matters who we are.”

The heavier the rocket is, the faster it goes. At some point, it just becomes too fast and unsafe. We rode it once with a bunch of big guys and the CM (friend of ours) told us we made the cutoff by 20 pounds. Definitely the most fun we've ever had on Space Mountain

• DLR Enthusiast

It's too bad the rocket being to heavy would cause an E-stop. Sounds like a good time to me
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast