Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: Marvel characters starting in the summer of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    I think the slightly more adult friendly atmosphere (with the alcohol and skin tight ElecTRONica Programs) it might fit in better. I'm not saying that Disney characters aren't in DCA, but I just don't think Marvel fits in Disneyland itself. It's not the same as Pixar in Disneyland.

While Disney/ Pixar movies do sugar coat the violence acts and words, Marvel comics can be in your face about stuff like sex, drugs, rape, graphic violence, and mental abuse. I think there's a difference between depressed Eeyore, scary Bald Mountain, and the death of Simba compared to drugged out Cloak from Cloak & Dagger, alcoholic Iron Man, the assassination of Captain America or even the demonic villains of Dr. Strange.
    I don't think that Disney will be using those aspects of Marvel. Just as they don't use the part of Cinderella where the step-mother cuts her own daughters toes and heels off to fit them in the glass slipper. Or the Little Mermaid's attempted suicide.

Sure, having Marvel characters around may inspire people of any age to check out the comics and they will come across things like drugs, violence, etc. But Disney's tellings of fairy tales inspires people to read the original versions, and they are dark, scary and incredibly violent and bloody. People die gruesome deaths in them. I see little difference between the two. Just as Disney presents cleaner versions of the fairy tales, they will do the same for Marvel characters within their parks.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I don't think that Disney will be using those aspects of Marvel. Just as they don't use the part of Cinderella where the step-mother cuts her own daughters toes and heels off to fit them in the glass slipper. Or the Little Mermaid's attempted suicide.

Sure, having Marvel characters around may inspire people of any age to check out the comics and they will come across things like drugs, violence, etc. But Disney's tellings of fairy tales inspires people to read the original versions, and they are dark, scary and incredibly violent and bloody. People die gruesome deaths in them. I see little difference between the two. Just as Disney presents cleaner versions of the fairy tales, they will do the same for Marvel characters within their parks.
    Ah, touche! Good call.

Maybe more in line with the Super Hero Squad you see at Toys R Us, Target, Wal-mart? Slightly cartoony, more light hearted... as long as we don't have to see that turd of a movie called Wolverine again!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    Ah, touche! Good call.

Maybe more in line with the Super Hero Squad you see at Toys R Us, Target, Wal-mart? Slightly cartoony, more light hearted... as long as we don't have to see that turd of a movie called Wolverine again!
    Luckily that was before Disney took over. The first of the Marvel movies under the Disney brand name will be Iron Man 3 I believe. The current summer movies are still under another studios distribution deal. Paramount I think.

But yes... they will be the Marvel characters, but it will be the more positive aspects of them. Woody went through an incredibly jealous phase where he did some things he regrets very much. But he grew from them. You see the same thing with many of the Marvel characters. They are human and do wrong things from time to time, but that is what gives them the chance to grow and be better. But in the parks you don't see those aspects of the Disney/Pixar characters, just the fun, happy, helpful parts. I assume it will be the same for Marvel as well.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Luckily that was before Disney took over. The first of the Marvel movies under the Disney brand name will be Iron Man 3 I believe. The current summer movies are still under another studios distribution deal. Paramount I think.

But yes... they will be the Marvel characters, but it will be the more positive aspects of them. Woody went through an incredibly jealous phase where he did some things he regrets very much. But he grew from them. You see the same thing with many of the Marvel characters. They are human and do wrong things from time to time, but that is what gives them the chance to grow and be better. But in the parks you don't see those aspects of the Disney/Pixar characters, just the fun, happy, helpful parts. I assume it will be the same for Marvel as well.
    Again, great points! I like the way you're going with this. Hopefully WDI actually does go forward with Marvel characters, and rolls ideas like this!

Sugar Coated Marvel? I'm ok with that.

OMG, this thread is popular! This topic obviously hit a nerve, or something...
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

I have the solution: A Marvelland in Texas!
    Harlan Ellison

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Doesn't Universal still own the rights to use the Marvel characters in amusement parks?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crmwed View Post
    Doesn't Universal still own the rights to use the Marvel characters in amusement parks?
    Only east of the Mississippi River in the United States. They failed to meet their obligations to maintain exclusive rights both internationally and west of the Mississippi River.

• I'm not really here

Disney can use them anywhere they want, outside of WDW.

• Hall Of Promise

If Disney introduces Marvel characters into a Disney park, especially Disneyland, it has to be DONE RIGHT!

After going through this whole thread I see many who feel positive about this and many who simply hate the idea. I will say this now. Disney is NOT going to be dumb enough and have Spider-Man roam Main Street. No need to fear this. It's not going to happen. This isn't any kind of speculation but more common sense. So fear not and put the daggers down... slowly.

Listen, if we don't already have Darth Vader or Indiana Jones roaming Main Street or Frontierland, then we will not have Marvel characters doing the same, not any of the over 4,000 of them.

We have to give Disney some credit now. They may have made a few mistakes .... okay a few many mistakes ... but if we open our eyes for a second and put the "Listen to me because I am proving you wrong" mentality down for a second we can see Disney has already done this before. They have already introduced non-Disney characters and themes and woven them into their Disney lands. I will highlight a few:

We have the Lucasfilm characters. These are the obvious because they are also very popular. But we also don't think ill of these additions because they were also done right. Disney did their homework and while obeying all of George Lucas' demands they also made their Disney fans happy. What also helped was that these franchises were, and still are, very popular to begin with, so Disney, and even Lucas, had to get this right the first time.

-- Now was Indiana Jones and Star Wars controversial back then... we are not really sure. We didn't have huge internet based forums back then like we do now. But one opposing Jonesy could easily argue the character isn't Disney or family friendly. There are guns and shooting, WWII references, death, violence, and even sexual references throughout the franchise. Now the smart thing Disney did when integrating this theme into one of their own attractions was to LEAVE ALL REFERENCES OF ANYTHING BAD OUT!!! Disney wants no part of that in a family setting (not because they want to but because of fear of backslash, and backslash = less money). So they only focused on the good and adventurous aspect of the franchise.

-- Star Wars is not as bad as Indy so this wasn't much of a problem. Thematically it may not be 100% accurate in Tomorrowland, but it still works for the most part and is still fun. (BTW, what does work in Tomorrowland?)

-- Now let's dive into another example... Roger Rabbit. Let me first say that even though Touchstone co-distributed this film the characters within the story are not of Disney and were not created by them, excluding the Disney characters licensed for the film. Now with that being said, Roger Rabbit is VERY rough around the edges. Great adult humor for us older peeps, but parental guidance is strongly suggested if they want their young ones to watch this movie (unless they want their kids to pick up on some bad habits). Let me just say if I had a 4-year-old I wouldn't let him/her watch the movie alone or without me guiding him/her throughout the movie. Many could argue this isn't "Disney" quality. Yet look where the attraction found a home... in Toon Town. The very land that is from the movie, yet also the very land we take the young ones first. If that isn't irony, I don't know what is. But the lesson with this one is once again Disney chose to only focus on the FUN side of things. Hell is still hot last time I checked. Ride Mr Toad to find out.

--I could take the same argument used for Roger Rabbit and apply it for The Nightmare Before Christmas. These character are also not from Disney, even though the film was released by Disney, and the movie is also dark in nature throughout. Yet it has a presence in the parks and for the most part has created a fallowing. Another check for Disney.

The argument here is that not only did Disney find a way to make these somewhat edgy movies fit into a family friendly park, they also managed to find a way to make them fit thematically. This is what Disney used to do best. This also shows that this is nothing new to Disney and for the most part they found success in integrating non-Disney franchises into the parks. Not all were successes, which is why those other attempts are not present in the parks today (coughDickTracycough). But I want to say again, this is nothing new to Disney.

Now I know I should be ending this post but I have to keep going while I have this fresh on my mind. It's apparent that many of you feel strongly against the Marvel characters being inside Disneyland. I am trying to picture what you are thinking when this comes to mind. Maybe you are picturing some skinning dude sporting a skin-tight red and blue Spider-Man costume running around Main Street, acting as if he can do flips but he really can't (think of the Oompa Loompas trying to do cartwheels in the first movie), and some of Spidey's hair is sticking out of the back of his mask. We should know better. This won't be happing. No Spidey on Main Street, no wannabe flips, no bad costumes.

Think about it. Let's not always think of the worst. Give Disney some credit. Look at Darth Maul during that kid show in Tomorrowland. Now that is pretty cool. And look, this is a scary villain from a non-Disney franchise. And no, he is not walking up and down Main Street with Mickey. Not all is lost, and this dude got cut in two in Episode One!

So let me conclude here. Disney has done this before. Disney has also dealt with bringing not-so-family friendly movies into Disneyland. We should feel safe that a giant green muscle-man won't be walking up and down Main Street only saying "HULK SMASH," either. Rather than thinking of all the bad that could happen, maybe we can focus on the possibilities. I know for a fact that is what Disney is doing.

I love Marvel characters (have since I was a kid), and I think it was a smart move for Disney Studios to buy the Marvel rights for films. But as much as I like them in their own universe, Marvel characters have no place at Disneyland. None at all. Ever. Disneyland is just that: the land of Disney - not Marvel.

As for DCA, I don't really care, because I don't have much of an emotional commitment to DCA. However, since they are re-doing the park to reflect the old Los Angeles of Walt Disney's arrival, I don't see how they could reasonably squeeze Marvel into it. But it wouldn't surprise me if they tried. Cars Land doesn't really fit either, yet there it is, going up.

But at all costs, keep Marvel characters OUT of Disneyland.

• Hall Of Promise

Quote Originally Posted by FredSimmons View Post
    I love Marvel characters (have since I was a kid), and I think it was a smart move for Disney Studios to buy the Marvel rights for films. But as much as I like them in their own universe, Marvel characters have no place at Disneyland. None at all. Ever. Disneyland is just that: the land of Disney - not Marvel.

As for DCA, I don't really care, because I don't have much of an emotional commitment to DCA. However, since they are re-doing the park to reflect the old Los Angeles of Walt Disney's arrival, I don't see how they could reasonably squeeze Marvel into it. But it wouldn't surprise me if they tried. Cars Land doesn't really fit either, yet there it is, going up.

But at all costs, keep Marvel characters OUT of Disneyland.
    I have to mention that Disney didn't just buy the movie rights, they wholly own Marvel outright.

Secondly, I heard this argument throughout the threat... well it's more of a statement. But could you elaborate why Marvel doesn't belong? I also wonder if you feel this way with Indy and Star Wars as well. I ask because I simply want to understand.

I personally would like to see Disney characters dressed up as Marvel characters as park merchandise...like little plush toys of Mickey dressed in various costumes (Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America). As a fan of the X-Men, I would like to see Mickey dressed up as Cyclops and Minnie dressed up as Phoenix....but that's just me. LOL
    "Disney Crystal Power! Make-Up!"

• Theme Park Designer

Quote Originally Posted by snowsbeau View Post
    Okay help me out here. Disney purchased the Marvel franchise and they can place Marvel characters in their theme parks. Would Disney actually place these characters in a non Hollywood type of environment?
    I love Marvel and grew up reading Spiderman, etc but how can you place him or any other Marvel character in a Disney park besides the likes of Mickey Mouse, Mary Poppins and Cinderella? It's just wrong. Also, how would having Marvel characters work at Disney parks when Universal has built entire theme parks devoted to them?
    God forbid the thought of a Marvel character in a Disneyland or Magic Kingdom parade. "Look, Billy! There's Donald Duck! And look on the next float Spiderman, Storm and Goofy! WOW!" Imagine the Christmas parades with Cinderella's wicked stepsisters trying the get dates to the ball by chasing Thor and the HULK! Drusilla, "Look Mother! He's so big and green!" REALLY!?
    YES! I was thinking along these lines myself !

One of the interesting things about all this is that Disney once successfully sued Marvel over Howard the Duck, saying that Howard was much too similar to Donald. Marvel had to make Howard put on pants! There was a story in Howard the Duck where an obvious lookalike for Walt wanted all animals to put on pants, but he only got Howard to do it. This pseudo-Walt even produced a movie called Pantasia! This was way back in the '80s.
    Harlan Ellison

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast