Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

re: Marvel characters starting in the summer of 2012

everyone should give it a chance. many people thought nightmare before christmas wouldnt work. hell disney didn't even think it would work thats why it was released under touchstone pictures. i think we should have an open mind about it. give it a chance. but we all know that wont happen

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^they don't want that......See they hate Marvel and DONT want them to work in the parks.

If they do then Disney will put give them a land/rides and then the hardcore Disney fans will complain about why Mary Poppins dont get a ride but Iron Man does

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Yeah......I see how Vader fits into Tommorrowland but not Ironman.....

How the Increadbles fit Hollywoodland but not Spiderman or the Hulk

Or how a Giant Talking Mouse or Duck fits into Main Street but not Captain America....

Tell me you're joking.

• Senior Minion

See they hate Marvel and DONT want them to work in the parks.
    Lots of people who love Marvel don't want them in the parks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Exactly! I love X-Men, but they have no business anywhere in our resort. Our Hollywood area is being rethemed beyond their time period (including Pixar characters who reside their now). Tomorrowland is for the FUTURE, not contemporary films, and Main St, despite being a bit laxed in character theming due to it being a welcome/greeting area tends to stick to classic characters of a certain 40s/50s age...ie Mickey and Friends, Cruella etc.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

If I were you, I would exercise skepticism about what that CM told you about Marvel characters being in the park. The reason is because being someone who was excited to see RocknRoller Coaster at DCA (but now it's false considering CarsLand is official), you have to sometimes not trust them.

In my opinion, while Marvel is now part of Disney, I have to agree with everyone that it doesn't make sense. To have the characters around Toontown would be out of place and so forth. If Disney made a Marvel park, then it would be appropriate. But not here.

In my opinion, someone mentioned that Star Wars and Indiana jones were bought by Disney from Fox and Paramount. As we all know, Disney didn't have anything of their own to keep in touch with where the young minds were. Don't get me wrong, Tangled and Princess and the Frog have done well, but they are very limited in scope (even though the staying power of the street show in NOS has shown otherwise).

Disney bought this to get in touch with where young minds are nowadays and I think the reaction of the board has been a little too overreacting. Disney had to do this because if you think of it, Marvel has been a big player in the movies, and Disney has to be in touch. So using precedent, Disney purchasing Marvel and trying to figure out what to do has been a little bit sticky, but they will use them though. I say go for it and put it somewhere else, just not Disneyland.

I'm personally a DC fan, but...that's irrelevant.

• Banned User

Hollywoodland is 'supposed/going to' be Hollywood in the 1940's, many many Marvel characters are based in this time period, they could easily fit a Hollywood theme of the 40s.

• A Suitcase & A Dream

The adding of the Marvel characters will be more difficult in California than in Florida if they try to stick with the themeing of the areas in the parks. WDW had the studios where they could be placed pretty much anywhere like they did with the Power Rangers. With the new Hollywood Land they pretty much got rid of the one area they could have been placed without a disruption to theme. But still with the other attractions in Hollywood Land not fitting the theme either it probably won't matter.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Tell me you're joking.
    What you think Ironman does not Fit Tommorrowland? Or Spiderman in Hollywood or Captain American on Main Street....yet Mary Poppins Fits (she's from England)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Lots of people who love Marvel don't want them in the parks.
    I'm sure some Star Wars Fans did not want them in Disneyland or Indy, yet look at where they are today.

Disneyland is to evolve not live in the past, Pixar characters were NOT created by Walt yet they can be in the parks, Davy Crockett was also not a character created by Walt but he was still used in the parks and LOVED back in the day.

If you Don't like the characters dont take pictures with them, shorted lines.

• Banned User

Marvel is owned by Disney, unlike Star Wars and Indiana Jones, if anything they should get rid of the franchises that are not owned by The Walt Disney Company.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuppence a Bag View Post
    I think Marvel fits perfectly into Universal Studios. Disney needs to GIVE IT BACK.
    No. They need to SELL it back.

Disney should stick to what they do best. Yes, they should also sell ESPN, HULU, SOAPnet, Lifetime, A&E, History Channel, and others.

Unless some of you zealots want representatives from these assets to be in the park as well... WEEEE!!! The Arts & Entertainment ride. WOW! The ESPN Meet& Greet! HULU parade floats and fireworks! YAY - big History Channel signs carried by Mickey and Minnie!

Not everything Disney owns needs to be IN THE PARKS.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I think the best approach for DLR in this case is a Marvel Store in Downtown Disney. You can have Meet and Greets and special Marvel themed events without requiring park admission and without compromising the integrity of Disney park theming. But I can only imagine the suits thinking they won't make enough money unless they're somewhere inside the park gates.
    I have said this to everyone I talk to at school and they agree, give Marvel a highly themed store and/or dining experience, but NOT inside the park gates
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Banned User

What you think Ironman does not Fit Tommorrowland? Or Spiderman in Hollywood or Captain American on Main Street....yet Mary Poppins Fits (she's from England)

I'm sure some Star Wars Fans did not want them in Disneyland or Indy, yet look at where they are today.

Disneyland is to evolve not live in the past, Pixar characters were NOT created by Walt yet they can be in the parks, Davy Crockett was also not a character created by Walt but he was still used in the parks and LOVED back in the day.

If you Don't like the characters dont take pictures with them, shorted lines.

NO. Ironman does not fit in Tomorrowland. It's contemporary, not in the future. Perhaps IF they place Spider-Man or other characters into the classic time period Hollywood is getting then, yes, maaaaaybe it could work, but when that happens, The Incredibles and other characters seen there now will have to go. As for Mary on Main St, I usually see near the castle now, and as people have stated before, since Main St. is a welcome/greeting area for the entire park, while not without theme, as long as the characters are what people consider "classic" they let it go. And yes, Mickey and Friends certainly fit the theme, way before a comic book hero would.

What people aren't getting is that DCA presents itself as a theme park, whereas Disneyland is more based in realism, and actually taking you to these places. This is why DCA can have mermaid in a seaside lagoon area, because those parks use oceanic characters all the time. If it were in Disneyland, they would present as if you were actually going to that world, not going on a ride at fair ground.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    No. They need to SELL it back.

Disney should stick to what they do best. Yes, they should also sell ESPN, HULU, SOAPnet, Lifetime, A&E, History Channel, and others.

Unless some of you zealots want representatives from these assets to be in the park as well... WEEEE!!! The Arts & Entertainment ride. WOW! The ESPN Meet& Greet! HULU parade floats and fireworks! YAY - big History Channel signs carried by Mickey and Minnie!

Not everything Disney owns needs to be IN THE PARKS.
    Ummm....I think you are being kind of a little harsh about that. Yes Disney has synergy in thier parades such ESPN days at WDW, and so forth. But A&E? A Hulu show? Come on. That's not realistic. Disney knows thier strengths and weaknesses and your statement kind of wanted to make me laugh. Disney KNOWS A&E won't ever make an appearance in the park, neither will HULU or Soap Net (Disney learned that lesson from having the Soap Opera Bistro at DCA), and neither will History Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    NO. Ironman does not fit in Tomorrowland. It's contemporary, not in the future.

What people aren't getting is that DCA presents itself as a theme park, whereas Disneyland is more based in realism, and actually taking you to these places. This is why DCA can have mermaid in a seaside lagoon area, because those parks use oceanic characters all the time. If it were in Disneyland, they would present as if you were actually going to that world, not going on a ride at fair ground.
    Marvel comics are both contemporary AND futuristic. You can't accept the setting and dismiss the technology used in the comics. You can't dismiss the genius of Tony Stark and Reed Richard. I mean, Toy Story is far more contemporary than Marvel and a TOY has a ride based around it in Tomorrowland.

If anything, Marvel deserves to be among the things discussed when it comes time to redo TL again. That's where the future is. I believe Marvel to be far more realistic than a talking fish or a living toy. It's probably even easier to immerse yourself into Marvel's settings as it is. Star Wars is also technically something that has happened in the past and yet it's still in TL.

I'm just saying, you have to suspend belief while in the park and that includes extending the same level of acceptance to Marvel.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast