Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Banned User

re: Marvel characters starting in the summer of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Faint of Hearts View Post
    Marvel comics are both contemporary AND futuristic. You can't accept the setting and dismiss the technology used in the comics. You can't dismiss the genius of Tony Stark and Reed Richard. I mean, Toy Story is far more contemporary than Marvel and a TOY has a ride based around it in Tomorrowland.

If anything, Marvel deserves to be among the things discussed when it comes time to redo TL again. That's where the future is. I believe Marvel to be far more realistic than a talking fish or a living toy. It's probably even easier to immerse yourself into Marvel's settings as it is. Star Wars is also technically something that has happened in the past and yet it's still in TL.

I'm just saying, you have to suspend belief while in the park and that includes extending the same level of acceptance to Marvel.

I'm not dismissing the technology, I'm saying the setting is important. Do I think Buzz and Nemo are the best fit? No, but Buzz is based on space exploration (and is also meant to be a kiddy ride so cut it some slack), and they at least try to make Nemo about the technological advances in exploring the ocean. I agree, Star Wars does take place in the past, and in a previous post I even called it fantasy, not sci-fi, which is what Lucas considers them. But because the ride is based on the exploration of space, and advanced technology FIRST, and not just throwing in anything from that universe into the land, it works. I'm sure Marvel has things that are based in the future, but by and large, and going off of their films, which is what most guest will identify them with, it is about contemporary stories, and there are way too many of them to cohesively fit into a land that is about man's potential for scientific advances and achievements, not about superheroes. Which is the main problem. This is why Tron would fit, but Marvel does not. You have to go the core of what these stories are telling.

Yes, Star Wars and Indiana Jones have done well in the parks. But from the beginning, these movies have been classic, adventurous films. I don't know; it's just that I associate Star Wars and Indiana Jones with well-rounded kids who play baseball with their friends and love their siblings, while I associate Marvel with little boys who cut up teddy bears in the depths of their bedroom and ditch their families on Christmas. Think 'Andy' versus 'Sid'. To me, Marvel is just vulgar and violent. I'm not saying there isn't violence in Disney movies, it's just... different. Doesn't give me so much of a yucky feeling.

I have a strange way of explaining things.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Tuppence a Bag View Post
    Yes, Star Wars and Indiana Jones have done well in the parks. But from the beginning, these movies have been classic, adventurous films. I don't know; it's just that I associate Star Wars and Indiana Jones with well-rounded kids who play baseball with their friends and love their siblings, while I associate Marvel with little boys who cut up teddy bears in the depths of their bedroom and ditch their families on Christmas. Think 'Andy' versus 'Sid'. To me, Marvel is just vulgar and violent. I'm not saying there isn't violence in Disney movies, it's just... different. Doesn't give me so much of a yucky feeling.

I have a strange way of explaining things.
    Seriously? I know plenty of female Marvel comics readers, and fail to see the correlation between comic books and the serial killer type generic things you're portraying here.....

Back on topic: modern Disneyland may not have much room for the A-List Marvel characters, themewise, but I am tired of the knee-jerk "They can never fit, I don't want them anywhere near any park" reaction. Bring on Iron Man and the X-Men and the rest I say, as long as the ideas and execution are solid and not just plunked down randomly.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Sorry, Regions. I think my opinion is probably kind of biased. The people at my school who looooove Marvel are just not nice people. I was just putting my opinion out there.

But come on, you can't tell me Hulk isn't vulgar. He's yucky.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Tuppence a Bag View Post
    Sorry, Regions. I think my opinion is probably kind of biased. The people at my school who looooove Marvel are just not nice people. I was just putting my opinion out there.

But come on, you can't tell me Hulk isn't vulgar. He's yucky.
    Fair enough, but icky people can like all sorts of things: doesn't reflect on the media or source as much, to me. As for the Hulk, Marvel has far worse horror/monster based characters than him, but look at the aliens in Star Wars or Mola Ram and the Thugees in Indiana Jones: it's all entertainment, and villains are villains whether it's a movie or a comic book.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    NO. Ironman does not fit in Tomorrowland. It's contemporary, not in the future. Perhaps IF they place Spider-Man or other characters into the classic time period Hollywood is getting then, yes, maaaaaybe it could work, but when that happens, The Incredibles and other characters seen there now will have to go. As for Mary on Main St, I usually see near the castle now, and as people have stated before, since Main St. is a welcome/greeting area for the entire park, while not without theme, as long as the characters are what people consider "classic" they let it go. And yes, Mickey and Friends certainly fit the theme, way before a comic book hero would.

What people aren't getting is that DCA presents itself as a theme park, whereas Disneyland is more based in realism, and actually taking you to these places. This is why DCA can have mermaid in a seaside lagoon area, because those parks use oceanic characters all the time. If it were in Disneyland, they would present as if you were actually going to that world, not going on a ride at fair ground.
    Nemo is based off the "now" like Ironman but the Tech from Ironman is Futuristic, and there for fits into Tommorrowland.

Captain America is from the 40's so Time Wise can fit into Main Street, and I mean Main Street is suppose to be a Main Street in America, don't know too many characters more American than Captain America.

To me its just Nitpicking, Jack and Sally don't have ANYTHING to do with New Orleans yet there they are year after year in New Orleans. Winnie the Pooh is a stuffed Animal, not a Critter. Buzz is based of a Cartoon in Space, Lincoln is a President that did not live on Main Street (or on the Time Period Main Street is set in), Small World in Fantasyland, Autopia in Tommorrowland along with Captain EO. Monsters and Muppets in Hollywood, Little Mermaid in an AMERICAN Pier (the story is based in Europe)

So yeah, there are mistakes all over the park.....but I guess we can over look these since they are not Marvel.

This is going to sound stupid, but I really don't watch or read Marvel stuff: is Hulk a villian?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^his first Appearance was a Villain and fought Spiderman....but for the most part the Hulk is on the good guys side. He even becomes a Avenger and that's when the whole world see's him as a good guy

• The Original LOST BOY

we will not be renewing our annual passes....

Carsland is gonna be a traffic jam all year 2012-2013.....
    plus, the introduction of marvel characters.... (dumbest idea ever!)
    i dunno....

i just....

i really hope they do not come to disneyland - ca adventure is one thing. that thing is already morphing into a huge melting pot of whatever (twilight zone; muppets; pixar; disney; etc etc etc).... i mean, i think that adding this kind of stuff is just.... unless its a third park, theres no reason for it. its just confusing & going to seem unorganized, imho. i personally feel having the STAR WARS stuff around the parks & the MUPPETS stuff around the parks was too much (pixar is alright in my book, because they are at-least DISNEY related) but Marvel characters..... if it enters DL, it's going to ruin the park... it will be a sad day the day i see THE HULK walking down mainstreet or see THE PUNISHER walking through frontierland. it's just........ *hangs head in shame*
    The Original LOST BOY

• Once upon a dream

Marvel is hideous. I hope they sell it back in the near future and that it will never be placed in Disneyland or California Adventures. If you want marvel, go to Universal. Marvel will never fit in with the theme.

Nemo is based off the "now" like Ironman but the Tech from Ironman is Futuristic, and there for fits into Tommorrowland.

Captain America is from the 40's so Time Wise can fit into Main Street, and I mean Main Street is suppose to be a Main Street in America, don't know too many characters more American than Captain America.

To me its just Nitpicking, Jack and Sally don't have ANYTHING to do with New Orleans yet there they are year after year in New Orleans. Winnie the Pooh is a stuffed Animal, not a Critter. Buzz is based of a Cartoon in Space, Lincoln is a President that did not live on Main Street (or on the Time Period Main Street is set in), Small World in Fantasyland, Autopia in Tommorrowland along with Captain EO. Monsters and Muppets in Hollywood, Little Mermaid in an AMERICAN Pier (the story is based in Europe)

So yeah, there are mistakes all over the park.....but I guess we can over look these since they are not Marvel.
    All of those comparisons are.... eh. Iron man I could see being in Tomorrowland but at the same time I couldn't. A super hero on Main Street in Red, White, and blue with a shield doesn't fit at all. Just because they come from the 40's doesn't mean they will work. Jack and Sally only work on HM from Halloween to Christmas because the movie has a Halloween theme, it is supposed to be some what scary (Haunted Mansion), and it takes place during Christmas. Its just a fun overlay, I don't see what the deal is. Winnie the Pooh is a bear in the movie, which is an animal, which can be classified as a critter. It seems as though you are just picking things out from the park to criticize to make it seem as though Marvel would be a better fit.

Thank you Solitary!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content...ica-poster.jpg
    ^the Costume is very old school, not TOO colorful either.

I would not be trying to put random Marvel Characters in the parks but knowing Disney they might just make a "Marvel" Restaurant in Hollywood and then be able to put characters in that part of the parks.

PLUS most of you guys are not under 16 (including my self) and most kids/teens today love Spiderman, Ironman and Captain America just as much as Disney characters.

• The Original LOST BOY

if they love the characters or not, DISNEYLAND was ground breaking in keeping up with THEMES. u dont just plop random stuff down only because you have the rights to it. from the looks of it, it seems like more & more people are DISPLEASED with the thought of the characters being added then not. Disney would be making a huge mistake. This should seem like a spit in the face to any true cast member... it is the exact opposite of what Walt planned.
    The Original LOST BOY

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Babs09 View Post
    All of those comparisons are.... eh. Iron man I could see being in Tomorrowland but at the same time I couldn't. A super hero on Main Street in Red, White, and blue with a shield doesn't fit at all. Just because they come from the 40's doesn't mean they will work. Jack and Sally only work on HM from Halloween to Christmas because the movie has a Halloween theme, it is supposed to be some what scary (Haunted Mansion), and it takes place during Christmas. Its just a fun overlay, I don't see what the deal is. Winnie the Pooh is a bear in the movie, which is an animal, which can be classified as a critter. It seems as though you are just picking things out from the park to criticize to make it seem as though Marvel would be a better fit.

You nailed it! He listed too many things to go through one by one, but it's VERY clear how they fit into their lands. Especially Pooh, and Mermaid.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

PLUS most of you guys are not under 16 (including my self) and most kids/teens today love Spiderman, Ironman and Captain America just as much as Disney characters.

Speak for yourself! I wouldn't have wanted to see that at that age. How dumb do you think teenagers are?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ItsFREAKS View Post
    if they love the characters or not, DISNEYLAND was ground breaking in keeping up with THEMES. u dont just plop random stuff down only because you have the rights to it. from the looks of it, it seems like more & more people are DISPLEASED with the thought of the characters being added then not. Disney would be making a huge mistake. This should seem like a spit in the face to any true cast member... it is the exact opposite of what Walt planned.
    Are you saying THIS site speaks for everyone that goes to the parks? I either Disney does not care what we have to say or we are just a site of Disney fans that talk about Disney since they changed WOC to be more "relevant" and made Carsland (one of the last lands this site would vote to be created)

Disney fans are not Marvel fans, just like they are not Star Wars Fans or Indy fans, Disney just happens to buy the rights to many other series and use the characters to make money since the general public want to see Harry Potter, Star Wars and Comic Hero's in Parks (yeah Spiderman the ride has been voted as one of the best rides in the world by many different sources)

Look at Glow Fest and Elec-TRON-ica....does not fit the theme 100% but PEOPLE love it, remember the number Al gave out were people like Glow Fest just as much as WOC...just saying the general public was to see the brands mixed into one place.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast