Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• River Guide!!

Talking What is your favorite Jungle Cruise memory?

I have been obsessed with Jungle Cruise for as long as I can remember. I used to drag my parents on as a kid, I still drag all my friends on when we visit the parks. During my interview to work at Disney, I was hoping the entire time that I'd be offered a role as a Skipper. (I unfortunately was not, and due to complications that pretty much only CMs can understand, it'd be a HUGE hassle to transfer over there).

But this last weekend, i was lucky enough to be trained at Toy Story Midway Mania, by none other, than an old SKIPPER!!!! He worked at JC for years prior to transferring for TSMM test & adjust and opening crew in 2007, he was a lead and trainer over there. And he is hilarious!! He told us soooo many stories that had me crying from laughter during every break and lunch.

So why not keep the ball rolling: Forum, tell me some of the hilarious moments from your cruises! (Any old skips, please chime in!!)
    Life begins when the season starts...nothing matters between november and march

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Re: What is your favorite Jungle Cruise memory?

Even though the set isn't the same any more, at the entrance to the Sacred Bathing Pool of the Elephants, Genisha used to be right across from the huge monkey god holding the ruby. The skipper would be extolling the many, many virtures of the elephant god Genisha. He would go on and on about Genisha and then turn to his right, towards the monkey god, and say, "And that's Bob."

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• formerly very helpful

I've never worked at Disney, but one night, for what would have been the last cruise of the evening, the skipper let one of the guests do the spiel. He let me hold the spotlight. It was a blast. Practically the closest I've come to being a cast member (except once I almost took over guiding a tour.)

Before we ride the JC each person in our party chooses their favorite joke or pun. During the trip, if the skipper tells that joke/pun the person who's joke that was must laugh loud & hard like it is the funniest joke they've ever heard. Sometimes we even lean on the person next to us and/or slap our legs or seat. If it's with a group we've done this with before, we'll sit intermixed with the other passengers so the skipper won't know we're all together.

Most of the time it startles the skipper that someone would be making such a big deal of a lame joke but they soon catch on. It becomes a game of "can the skipper pick the right joke." The skipper will take great enjoyment when they tell one of our jokes.

There have been a couple of times when it would throw the skipper completely off their game. They stand there stunned wondering what the heck is going on. It works great when one of the small kid's jokes is the first one. Watching the skipper look at a kid who is bent over laughing at the "Can anyone tell me what type of plant that is? Plastic" and wondering what's going on is priceless.

• șoșEsteban♂

My favorite Jungle Crusie memory was actually very annoying and very recent... I was with a friend one time waiting for the boat to come, and then once the cruise started this lady in the middle of the boat interupted the skipper saying all the jokes and punchlines she kept mentioning how she loves this ride and comes here all the time.
    It was quite annoying but at the same time I do not know it was entertaining, someone needs to tell her she is not the only Disney Geek or person that comes to the parks often, so beware of the lady that ruins the Jungle Cruise experience!!!!
    Junlge Cruise is an amazing attraction overall! =) when that lady is not onboard!
    When stars are born...They possess a gift or two,
    one of those is, they have the power to make a wish come true!

as a current skipper i love reading these! seriously so thankful for the fans that appreciate how hard it is for us to work this attraction. my favorite memory so far was this little boy i had on my boat who had never been on the cruise before and was just soooo excited by everything he saw and kept asking me questions about everything during the ride. was very funny and was so glad to be his first skip :-)

• Water rides are evil.

One of my favorite memories was on a first weekend in October in Anaheim. We started out at the Lost Boys Bar and a group of about 8 of us, who had just met, decided to go ride the Jungle Cruise after some drinks.

As we walked back to the park and to the Jungle Cruise, we slowly recruited more and more people to go on the ride. As we got to the front of the line and they asked how many in our party we responded with "38, and we'd like the cutest captain please."

The memorable part was them joking back and forth with us waiting for the boat and having a captain in training look at the dock cast member and say "I'm going on the boat with them." Both the captain, and the trainee seemed to enjoy the boat ride very much. We certainly did.

• Senior Minion

This must've been the late '70s or early '80s...

Seconds before the skipper was about to fire his gun at the charging hippo, a little girl, maybe three or four years old, stood up on the cushions, faced the hippo and shrieked in one of those voices that could cut glass, "Aw, he's hungryyyy!" She took a jawbreaker out of her mouth and threw it to the hippo. Without missing a beat, the skipper said in a low, Clint Eastwood voice, "Hungry for... lead." *BLAM!*

Everybody exploded in the most hysterical laughter I've ever witnessed. The laughter went on and on and on. Every time it died down, people would look at the little girl and start chuckling, and the whole boat would crack up all over again. I don't remember how the skipper handled the rest of the spiel -- only that you couldn't hear him for the laughter.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-20-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Just past the first look at Schweitzer falls the skipper killed the light and ran through the whole Star Tours trench run. R2 bleeps, laser canons and all were recreated over the pa with surprising accuracy. From start to finish that skipper was hands down the funniest I have encountered. Sadly he ruined that ride for me as no trip can match that one.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

A long long time ago in a Jungle Cruise far far away (in Hong Kong Disneyland) I had the most interesting of Disney ride experiences. They divide the line there by language. I chose English. But the poor young skipper working that line BARELY spoke any English and probably was only taught to sound out key words without any real understanding.

In a way, it was the funniest Jungle Cruise excursion I've ever been on:

"Watch for alligator, he'll take your hand. Ha Ha, you understand? Your hand he takes!"
    "Pygmy to throw dart, you duck to save life."
    The ride finishes with a huge special effect of boiling water, flames and a blocked path. At that point the skipper said to a little girl in the front of the boat "God angry, we take sacrifice . . . you jump in?" The mother grabbed the little girl as she actually stood up and thought about jumping in!!!

The whole thing was surreal. I laughed for days.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    A long long time ago in a Jungle Cruise far far away (in Hong Kong Disneyland) I had the most interesting of Disney ride experiences. They divide the line there by language. I chose English. But the poor young skipper working that line BARELY spoke any English and probably was only taught to sound out key words without any real understanding.

In a way, it was the funniest Jungle Cruise excursion I've ever been on:

"Watch for alligator, he'll take your hand. Ha Ha, you understand? Your hand he takes!"
    "Pygmy to throw dart, you duck to save life."
    The ride finishes with a huge special effect of boiling water, flames and a blocked path. At that point the skipper said to a little girl in the front of the boat "God angry, we take sacrifice . . . you jump in?" The mother grabbed the little girl as she actually stood up and thought about jumping in!!!

The whole thing was surreal. I laughed for days.
    Love this, and that would be brilliant indeed. Great experiences from everyone though!

My personal favorite that can recall would be one of the sillier/more surreal jokes that the Skipper sometimes does: upon getting to the area of the hippo scene, the line is something about the mother hippos being very protective of their young, and if you are quiet and listen, sometimes can hear the young hippo calling for its' mother. Everyone quiets down, and a few beats of silence pass....until the skipper traditionally suddenly yells "HEY MA!" out of nowhere and quite a few people jump. Love that one, even though completely ridiculous.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

My family had the opportunity to ride the Jungle Cruise while sitting across from the family of the late Steve Irwin including his wife, brother, and children. We did not take pictures because it was shortly after Steve passed. I couldn't help but think that it must not have been all that exciting to see the animatronic figures from inside a fake boat when they all have been dealing with real exotic animals in Australia their whole lives. Little Bindy probably could have given the whole tour!

On my last trip back in February we were about to pass another boat and the skipper told us that on the count of three to yell "you're going the wrong way" at them. Almost everyone participated and most of the passengers on the other boat suddenly turned towards their skipper with nervous expressions like they believed us.

• We Want The Redhead

I have so many and have posted several before.
    One was after the attraction whad closed a few years back to rebuild the dock and replant lots of greenery throughout the jungle rivers. Following the updates here, I knew which day it would be reopening and showed up right at opening. The place was deserted and I rode alone. The skipper understang that I was a big JC fan asked if I preferred the 'entertaining' or the 'informative' spiel. I told him neither, I wanted to do the spiel myself. Once we sailed out of earshot just past the Indy exit (the first sign of danger), I stood and delivered the entire spiel to an audience of one, the skipper himself.
    A year and a half ago at the 5th anniversary Mice Chat mega-meet, We all headed for a cruise with a party of over 70 of us. I was fortunate enough to ride on the lead boat with Dusty and Fishbulb. After each gag (which of course we all knew was coming) we would all drum rim-shots on the 'cargo' container directly behind the skipper.
    Another time on a day well over 100 degrees hot, my family were stranded out on the river for almost an hour as a medical emergency was occurring on the dock. Somehow our extraordinarily talented skipper after steering us a few feet into the nearwest shade kept us truly entertained us for the whole time we were out there. This guy was great.
    Now then, my absolute favorite came some 4 tears or so ago when my daughter was 6. As we sailed out of the Cambodian temple (again, just out of sight of the Indy exit), the skipper explained that he was too tired to go on after his long shift and would anyone else like to pilot the boat. My daughter who at the time was 6 was sitting to the immediate right of the skipper, and immediatly shot her hand up. The skipper then controlled the motor of the boat from a seated position and delivered the spiel in an exaggeratedly tired tone and manner as my daughter 'steered' the boat. She was still young enough to believe she was actually piloting the craft which added immensely to my memory of the event. As we docked, the skipper pulled out a map of the jungle rivers and its features and handed it to her as a souvenir. Sadly this is the kind of magical CM behaviour you can't report or commend as it is so far out of management guidelines as to be reprimandable. Still, that is my and my daughter's absolute all time favorite Jungle Cruise memory.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Keeping Disney Solvent

The ride is best at night. I really had a great time when the gun was out of blanks and went 'click click' while the skipper said "The Hippos really hate this clicking sound!"
    I do miss the Jungle Cruise boats that they had at DL Hotel up to July of last year. You got to be your own Skip, perilously piloting your cruise boat through tunnels, starting fires...oh, what fun:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast