Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb More Attractions (Rides) with Live Actors?

Here's a question I pose to the MiceChat community:

Would you like to see more attractions (by which I mean rides, not shows) that feature a few live actors?

I'm a long time Disneyland-goer, but I recently visited Universal Studios Hollywood for the first time, and although there's no comparison between the two (that's another discussion), I really like that several rides at Universal featured pre-shows or small parts of the show where lived actors interacted with the ride. For example, Terminator 2:3D has a pre-show with live actors, and then you move into the actual 3-D/motion simulator show which also has more live actors sprinkled throughout video footage. Another example at Universal is that during the Studio Tour, when you drive by the Bates Motel from Psycho, a live actor portraying Norman Bates comes out and stuffs a body in the back of the car, and then threatens the tram riders with a knife.

An example of this type of entertainment in the Disney sphere would be the Great Movie Ride at Epcot. Now I've never personally been to Walt Disney World, but I know that the Great Movie Ride involves one Cast Member who is your guide for most of the ride, but a few other live actors pop out with surprises along the way. You could also argue that Innoventions falls into this category, but in my opinion, it's a bag implementation of a good idea, and if it had a more clear cut story and script, the actors would succeed more in getting the audience excited.

I think this mix of ride and show is something that Disneyland should think about doing more in the future. I know it's expensive to pay actors, and in theory every Cast Member is part of the show so they should all be acting to some extent, but I think having a few actors mixed in makes the ride feel even more real. Yes, Disneyland has the Jungle Cruise, but if you've ever been on any of the attractions I described above, you know that it's not quite the same.

What are your thoughts? Would you want Disney to add more actors to attractions (or their pre-shows), or is it cheesy/boring/generally an awful idea?
    Last edited by GadgetHackwrench; 04-18-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Re: More Attractions (Rides) with Live Actors?

I could dig that. I love basically anything with live actors (my biggest reason for preferring Fantasmic! over WOC). When you said the knife thing, it kind of reminded me of haunted corn mazes at halloween (Do they have those in Cali? I live in Washington, see...). Is it cheesy like that, or do they pull it off pretty well? Not that cheesy is always bad...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I would love to see live actors in attractions! And these would not be the same CMs that get hired to run the attractions, but actual performers...it does make a difference.

• Banned User

I thought I read somewhere that they used to have a CM dressed as a suit of armor in HM and they would jump out behind the doom buggies. Guests got so scared they would throw their belongings in freight or at the cast member out of instinct. But yea it would be cool to have!

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that they used to have a CM dressed as a suit of armor in HM and they would jump out behind the doom buggies. Guests got so scared they would throw their belongings in freight or at the cast member out of instinct. But yea it would be cool to have!
    I think this was there on my trip to Disneyland in '85. I do remember a suit of armor moving on some attraction - could've been Haunted Mansion. Can someone refresh my memory and tell us where in the ride it was?

If I recall he was holding an axe, and did some movement just as you approached him in your ride vehicle.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Tuppence a Bag View Post
    I could dig that. I love basically anything with live actors (my biggest reason for preferring Fantasmic! over WOC). When you said the knife thing, it kind of reminded me of haunted corn mazes at halloween (Do they have those in Cali? I live in Washington, see...). Is it cheesy like that, or do they pull it off pretty well? Not that cheesy is always bad...
    I love attractions with Live Actors. But the problem is they are human and not controlled by computers, so they need breaks and can't have the exact same performance over and over again. Plus they need to be payed. And yes we do have Haunted Mazes during Halloween here. We have two of the biggest events in the world. Halloween Haunt at Knott's Scary Farm, and Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood. You should check them out if you come here around that time.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I think this was there on my trip to Disneyland in '85. I do remember a suit of armor moving on some attraction - could've been Haunted Mansion. Can someone refresh my memory and tell us where in the ride it was?

If I recall he was holding an axe, and did some movement just as you approached him in your ride vehicle.
    The knight was there!
    DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

Anyone know which years the knight was there? It was a CM in '85 but I think on my next trip in '88 the suit of armor was just standing there (without a person in it) and "tipping" over. Hopefully someone can chime in.

Yeah, like in MuppetVision 4D when Sweetums shows up..I feel like it's all much more real and "You Are There"-ish...I know my kids sure do!

• Former CM

True there was a man in a suit of armor in the Haunted Mansion but after people began mistreating him the park said they would never again use a real person inside of an attraction again.

I know this because I went on a guided tour of THM and was told by our guide!

• Minion

It would cost allot to keep a full time acting staff for the attractions on payroll all year. I work at one of Knott’s sister parks for their Halloween event, Its called Scarowinds out here, (The park is Carowinds) and I can tell you the cost of employing Scaractors for just a month and a half is crazy. I also thought that this was one of the driving forces behind Walt’s decision to use animatronics figures and not go with live actors.

I would totally dig it!

• Workin to live,lovin life

I'm all for it as well! As long as it's done in an immersive manner like Tough to Be A Bug (yeah, I know they're AA's, but they're real to me!) or as mentioned before, Sweetums. As awesome as Terminator is, it's a little jarring to be part of the show at the beginning's presentation, then to be thrust into only watching the action on a screen, then back. Kinda makes you realize you're in a theme park, and not lost in another world.

The Great Movie Ride is actually very fun even though I don't remember as much as I wish I did since it's been over 14 years!

Actors add a personal touch to the show... kinda like if the Jungle Cruise was completely automated I think it would lose a lot of its charm.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetHackwrench View Post
    An example of this type of entertainment in the Disney sphere would be the Great Movie Ride at Epcot.
    Just a bit of an anal correction, it's actually Disney Hollywood Studios, and not Epcot. But in response to the post, I would love to see more human/living performers in DL attractions. It livens up the whole show, and adds a bit of sponteneity that full AA attractions don't have.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    The knight was there!
    DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

Anyone know which years the knight was there? It was a CM in '85 but I think on my next trip in '88 the suit of armor was just standing there (without a person in it) and "tipping" over. Hopefully someone can chime in.
    The last Time I remember them doing a live actor was in 1985 & 1986...in 1988 it was back to static I was very young but I remember it came really close to the Doombuggy and when we went back in 88 I was anticipating it and it never happened lol

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I think it depends on what attraction/show you want to do it. The problem with that is Disney designed these shows to be done a certain way and Disney doesn't want to be spending more than they already have to. In my personal opinion, I say go for it since it could enhance the experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast