Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disney Ends Chase Debit Card Rewards Program

I originally posted this in the Disney Business section but i donít think anyone checks that part of the forum lol...I have one of these and want to know if anyone else has it. I am bummed cause i enjoyed using the debit card to get discounts at Disneyland when i did not have a annual pass.

Disney Ends Chase Debit Card Rewards Program
    Chase bank has begun notifying customer who hold Disney Rewards debit cards that they will no longer earn Disney Dream Reward Dollars when they use their Disney Rewards debit cards. According to a notice currently being sent to cardholders, Chase is making this change due to the Durbin Amendment, which places a cap on debit card swipe fees charged by banks. Chase has also recently notified customers in their other debit card rewards programs of similar changes.

The letter says Disney Rewards debit card holders will stop earning rewards on June 12, 2011, and have until October 31, 2011 to transfer their accumulated Disney Dream Reward Dollars to a Disney Rewards Redemption Card.

All theme park benefits - including merchandise discounts, stroller discounts, character meet-and-greet opportunity, guided tour discounts, dining discounts and special cardholder vacation packages - will also end on October 31, 2011 for Disney Rewards debit card holders.

After October 31, 2011, Disney Rewards debit card holders also lose the $50 Disney Cruise Line onboard credit and 10% Disney Store discount offered as part of the Disney Rewards Program.

Chase is also ending the annual fee associated with the card, and will issue a pro-rated refund to cardholders.

The Huffington Post received and published a sample of the letters being sent to cardholders. The letters very clearly state that this change only impacts the Disney Rewards debit card, not the Disney Rewards Visa credit card.

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: Disney Ends Chase Debit Card Rewards Program

Except it is actually CHASE who is ending the program... They just liscense the name Disney. Not surprised tho, they will be losing A LOT of income from the new federal law.

• Disneymom

my son has this and is really bummed about it ending.

• Some imagination, huh?

I recently took a survey from Disney about the use of rewards cards...huh, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

• DLR Enthusiast

Will this apply to Chase Disney credit line cards as well?
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

I guess i have to get the Credit card now

• DLR Enthusiast

In all honesty, I think the Chase Disney Card line rewards point system isn't worth it. If you buy merchandise in the park a lot, it can be useful. But considering for every $100.00 you spend, you get one Disney dollar, it took ages to accrue enough for a three day park pass. And then I had to buy the pass through Disney (I get discounts at work). And the little rewards card they give you to redeem at "select" Disney locations, is only accepted at a few places in the park.

I have a wells fargo cashback program on my other Visa, and rewards points pile on much faster. And I can spend those anywhere people take green money .
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

• Minion

I'm glad the credit card isn't being effected at this time, we use it for almost everything we do. We redeemed 4 3-day park hoppers as well as 2 $100 gift cards and another $150 gift card, and still had plenty of point to spare on the card. And to be honest, for those of us that have to travel a long way just to get a day in the park, if it means saving up points for 2 years to get 1 week at the parks, it is completely worth it for us
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

I agree, keep that they should keep the card. But i would also like to know what happened with the Debit card. Did Chase just not want to do it?

• Not on the Jedi Council

Here's the press release for the Durbin amendment:
    Durbin Statement On His Debit Card Swipe Fee Amendment - Press Releases - Press Office - U.S. Senator Dick Durbin

Basically, "Swipe fees" are what they charge vendors (restaurants, supermarkets, etc) who took your card, and they used that money to pay for the points and the discounts and so on. The total of swipe fees in the US, per the statement, was $48 billion a year going to the big banks through VISA and MasterCard. The amendment cuts that money way down. Dunno the actual level.

The Durbin amendment means it's cheaper for the vendors to accept your cards now, so they get a better deal, theorhetically leading to lower prices. (I doubt it.) But it means Chase isn't getting the money to pay for the program as they were, so the program is getting cut.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

well now there's no point in me getting a Chase card. i guess i'll stick with Bank of America...
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    well now there's no point in me getting a Chase card. i guess i'll stick with Bank of America...
    You could get the Chase/Disney Credit card though, just not the Debit card
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

teenagers should not have credit cards....i'll save myself the debt before i get buried in it
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    teenagers should not have credit cards....i'll save myself the debt before i get buried in it
    No... you should. Just use it responsibly and try not to carry a balance that racks up high interest rates (like this card). If you don't think you can do that though, then yeah... don't do it. If you're responsible enough, building credit at a young age is a very good thing. You probably wouldn't be able to do it with this card anyways though. Chase cards generally require good credit history (not just a good credit score) which, not surprisingly, most teenagers do not have.

• Hide and Seek with Anna

I had post this the other day here about the Chase card rewards that didn't go to far.

Disney Rewards stroller rental at Disneyland

I'm glad I'm no longer a Chase banker the things there doing anymore may me change banks to BOA now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast