Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why does Disney think there are either 360 or 355 days in a year?

I brought this up in another thread, but thought it was important enough for its own.

Deluxe Passports give you 315 days at the DLR, yet only 45 days are blacked out. Total = 360 days.

Southern California Passports give you 215 days, yet only 140 days are blacked out. Total = 355 days.

So, Disney not only doesn't think there are 365 days in a (normal) year, they also think the number of days in a year depends on what pass you have.

What am I missing? Should I apply for the job of Chief Mathematician at DLR?

• Wilderness Explorer

Re: Why does Disney think there are either 360 or 355 days in a year?

I think you should just bypass the trouble and get a Premium Pass. Then you can go all 350 days a year without any blackout dates...

^ WIN!

Though I don't know the answer, its rather odd...

•   
    • Seasick

That is odd, their numbers do seem off.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• is too darn hot.

O.O

That's bizarre.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

It could be the available days are the number of days available in a calendar year, and the blockout days are the number of days blocked out in the next 365-day period. These can be different because blockout days get moved around from year to year.

For instance, two weeks are blocked out for spring break for the Southern California pass, but those two weeks are not going to be on the exact same dates in 2012, so depending on when you activate your pass, the number of blockout days is going to be different.

Well it's a matter of 5 or 10 days, not 1 or 2.

Spring break is the same length no matter what date it starts. July 4th and other holidays can fall on Saturdays some years but again that would only change it by a day or two, although several holidays would probably offset each other.

In any case, as far as I know, the numbers 215 and 315 are consistent year to year.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Just got done chatting live with a cm at Disneyland.com....... asked them about this and they are as befuddled as we.

• Banned User

LOL, when I got my first Deluxe AP in 2005, it was the first thing I noticed as well! I kept counting the days and thought maybe there was a mistake in the calendar somewhere. But I didnt care, because it felt like I was getting extra days!!

• The Tomorrowland One

So we are complaining that you get more days than advertised...? I could understand the complaint if it were the other way around, this, however, I do not understand.

Also, it allows Disney flexibility in Blockout Days. Say they wanna start adding them starting 12 months from now. They already have some room to play with and have no need to redo all the materials for APs because of it.

• world class bilge rat

In my lifetime, I've begun to notice that May and June seem coder than usual, while September and November seem quite a bit warmer.

Is it possible that DL knows something that science doesn't??!?

Another angle here is an accounting ploy. If you can get APers to pay for 365 days, but be able to use only 360 or 355 of those days, the bottom line will look better.

It seems rather obvious to me that there's some sort of conspiracy going on here!

lol!!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    So we are complaining that you get more days than advertised...? I could understand the complaint if it were the other way around, this, however, I do not understand.

Also, it allows Disney flexibility in Blockout Days. Say they wanna start adding them starting 12 months from now. They already have some room to play with and have no need to redo all the materials for APs because of it.
    I was simply pointing out that their math sucks. Where in the heck did you come up with the idea that anyone was complaining? Read the words, don't interpret them in your own special ways. This is becoming a disappointing pattern on MC.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post

Was anyone complaining? I see no complaints, just confusion. Your reading comprehension needs work. Not every thread needs to be praise or scorn.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Well it's a matter of 5 or 10 days, not 1 or 2.

Spring break is the same length no matter what date it starts.
    But if it starts 10 days earlier next year, and you activate your pass at the beginning of spring break this year, your going to be blocked out for an extra 10 days, because your AP encompassed two spring breaks (all of this spring break and 10 days of the next spring break). Or, if spring break is later next year, you could be in a situation where your AP encompassed no spring breaks at all.

• Sock Puppet

Smile Re: Why does Disney think there are either 360 or 355 days in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I brought this up in another thread, but thought it was important enough for its own.

Deluxe Passports give you 315 days at the DLR, yet only 45 days are blacked out. Total = 360 days.

Southern California Passports give you 215 days, yet only 140 days are blacked out. Total = 355 days.

So, Disney not only doesn't think there are 365 days in a (normal) year, they also think the number of days in a year depends on what pass you have.

What am I missing? Should I apply for the job of Chief Mathematician at DLR?

I think you should ask the ticket booth people at DLR. Maybe they can give you some insight to your question because that is really good question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast