Convoluted AP/Park Hopper Renewal question

Convoluted AP/Park Hopper Renewal question

OK so here is our situation and I am looking for both an answer and perhaps advice on whom to call at the DLR to get the question answered.

Our So Cal Premier (or whatever the $239 pass is called) AP expires on or about may 15

We are taking the kids (2) up to the resort for three days - 6/10 through 6/12. Dates are not negotiable.

Deluxes are blackedout on 6/11. Our So Cal pass is also blacked out on the 10th and the 11th

They are offering us $20 off to renew to Deluxe now with a pretty meaningless 20% off on merchandise $50 and over. We would not renew to Deluxe. We MIGHT use the AP for a discount at HoJos but I haven't even see what that is for the dates in question and given the good deals there I doubt it is more than $20-30.

So.....

What I want to know is there anything that would preclude us from letting our APs expire, getting either the Costco 4 day or a three day hopper, go the 10-12th and then use that ticket media as credit toward NEW so cal passes (with a renewal date the first day we use that media - or June 10)? We really are not fans (most of the time) of summer/Saturdays so the so cal really does usually works just fine (the June vacation being an exception to the above rule). If we used the Costco pass we would like go a 4th blacked out day in the summer prior to converting. Indeed, that is what we did last year when we got APs for the first time in a decade.

Thoughts? Am I missing something critical

• I'm wishing

Re: Convoluted AP/Park Hopper Renewal question

Doesn't look like you are missing anything to me. A friend of mine just got his pass, he wanted to use it while his family was visiting last week (spring break), which would have been blocked for a so cal pass, so he got a regular ticket and upgraded it on his last day. If you have a Disney Visa or AAA, they get some discounts too, so you don't always need a pass for a discount.

The only problem was parking, they had to pay $15 each day. If he had gotten parking on his pass I know he would have been reimbursed for the day he upgraded...but don't know if he could have gotten all days during that week, anyone know??

They also got Magic Morning, but didn't use it.

The Costco 4 day comes with a $50 Disney gift card with each one also, right? Or was that just last year? I'm sure you could use those over 3 days!

Good luck, hope you have a great vacation!

• Minion

Nope, that sounds perfectly fine to me. You'd get that cleared up at the AP center in the park. Last year Disneyland had the "give a day, get a day" promotion where if you did something for charity, you got a free single-park pass. We did our charity project and then were extremely disappointed to find that if you were an annual passholder, you didn't get the park pass, but you got something like a commemorative pin or something--I don't remember exactly what but it was kind of lame. But you could use your free pass to upgrade to an AP. So we simply let our APs expire and then went in with our free passes and applied that credit toward an upgrade, no problem. I don't see why what you propose couldn't be done. Sounds like a great idea to me.

• Dreaming of next trip

you have it down correct. Get the tickets, if you are staying at HOJOs you can use the Mice Chat discount, for the hotel. That will probably beat Disney travel package.
    Run all of the numbers and find out what works best for you.

We are haveing to decide if we will renew our AP in June. Probably will since we are missing DL already.

Have fun, and expect large crowds.

• That's a lot of look.

Just remember that your passes will be backdated to have a start date to match the first day you used your 4-day tickets. In case I'm clear as mud, if you use your tickets for the first time on 6/10, then use them for an upgrade on the last day of your trip, the passes will expire on 6/10/12 (as if you had purchased them on 6/10/11).

Last year our annual passes expired and we waited a few months before getting new passes. We just explained to the cast member that we did not want our passes back dated, we wanted the new date we were making the upgrade of our muti day tickets to annual passes. She was very nice about it and we had no problem doing that. We didn't want a back date since we hadn't been there during those months.

• That's a lot of look.

In your case, your new passes would have been backdated to the first day of use of your multi-day tickets, not to the date of expiration of your passes. There's no point in making you pay for several months of absence from the park. It sounds like your situation is a little different than the OP's.