Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Blew By You

The real Matterhorn

Has anyone ever visited the real Matterhorn? I doubt I'll visit due to my fear of flying on planes. I just saw a good cable show on History International. The show visited the Matterhorn and I was sadden that I would probably never see the mountain in person. Interesting fact about the Matterhorn: the peak of the Matterhorn is actually from the African continent and the base is European. Subduction and plate tetonics are the reasons for the bicoastal nature of the Matterhorn.

• Future Imagineer

Re: The real Matterhorn

That's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing

• happiest bride on earth

Hmm sounds like an interesting show. Do you happen to remember the name of it?
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy."

"There is really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting. We call it 'Imagineering' - the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

-Walt Disney

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by gauchogirl View Post
    I would love to know the name as well.

• With The Brain Of A Bird

I've never been to the real Matterhorn but regarding it on television, The Amazing Race (American version) airing tomorrow night (Sunday, May 1) has the teams in Switzerland. The real Matterhorn plays a part in the race. I don't know if it's alright to place a link to the preview at the CBS website or not and I don't want to break any rules but if you go to the Amazing Race page at CBS.com you can see a small video preview involving the Matterhorn at their site.
    "Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Has anyone ever visited the real Matterhorn? I doubt I'll visit due to my fear of flying on planes. I just saw a good cable show on History International. The show visited the Matterhorn and I was sadden that I would probably never see the mountain in person. Interesting fact about the Matterhorn: the peak of the Matterhorn is actually from the African continent and the base is European. Subduction and plate tetonics are the reasons for the bicoastal nature of the Matterhorn.
    Oh, irrational fears of flying...you'll be fine. Better chance of dying in a car. Just don't go on without accomplishing something you wanted to before you die. My wife and I took a plane to WDW and she was a little worried because she had always wanted to go there. So we prayed a lot for God to get us there at least...and if we had to die on the plane flight back, at least we got to go to Disney World, ha.
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

• Dreamer

I've been to Zermatt one time, and we took a helicopter ride around the horn. But the greatest thing was the window in my hotel room faced the Matterhorn which made it waking up to a live postcard.

• I'm not really here

I haven't been, but my parents have been. Last year they did a month in Europe and spent the night in a hotel room, waking up to a view of the sunrise on the Matterhorn. Oh, I was jealous. Someday I hope to do the same.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I've been. It was in summer and the mountain was still snow caped.

I like Walt have travelled to the Matterhorn in Switzerland. The Alps are awesome. My brother in law has actually climbed the Matterhorn. As for me I would die since I was having serious breathing issues while at the viewing area. This is an international training area for skiers during the off season and we saw many of them while we were up there. We talked to a kid from Germany and saw many young Italian boys all from teams training on the plateau below the mountain. I hope that you will try to work through your fear and take a chance on seeing something that is truly awesome.

• Blew By You

Quote Originally Posted by DLRaddict View Post
    I would love to know the name as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchogirl View Post
    The name of the show was "How the Earth was Created". It showed on History International Friday evening. I haven't checked when it could reair. The Matterhorn part was into the second hour of the show. You'll have to watch about 5 billion years of universal history before the part.

• Blew By You

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    Oh, irrational fears of flying...you'll be fine. Better chance of dying in a car. Just don't go on without accomplishing something you wanted to before you die. My wife and I took a plane to WDW and she was a little worried because she had always wanted to go there. So we prayed a lot for God to get us there at least...and if we had to die on the plane flight back, at least we got to go to Disney World, ha.
    Technically, the fear is about the vertigo I'd suffer for about three day hence from the air trip. All the usual remedies don't work. The longer the trip, the longer the vertigo lasts. And don't think I'll be lining up for the new Star Tours attraction. Same effect.

• keh!

i've never been to the Matterhorn, but i've been to Mount Fuji. same thing, right? they're both mountains, they both have snow. : P

• happiest bride on earth

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    The name of the show was "How the Earth was Created". It showed on History International Friday evening. I haven't checked when it could reair. The Matterhorn part was into the second hour of the show. You'll have to watch about 5 billion years of universal history before the part.
    Thanks
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy."

"There is really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting. We call it 'Imagineering' - the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

-Walt Disney

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Off topic and only loosly related, I just thought I'd share this pic I snapped the other day...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast