Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Do you want to go home?"

Hey everyone. I'm brand new here, but I have been entertained during my hotel graveyard shifts by browsing through posts for a short time now...so thank you for helping kill some dead time between 2-6 am. Anyway, my wife and I go to Disneyland all the time often just to hang out and people watch (in a non-creepy way), and her and I have had a game/ritual we have started up between the two of us to laugh over: how many times in a given day we hear parents threatening their children, namely with rhetorical questions like "Do you want to go home?" I don't know if you guys have noticed how many times it's possible to hear this question and/or similar questions! One day I think we counted up to ten or eleven. I strongly encourage you to pay attention next time you are at the park for a cheap laugh! Let me know what results you come up with, and perhaps we can compare notes. :-)
    Last edited by crockett243; 05-03-2011 at 01:21 AM.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Re: "Do you want to go home?"

There should be a BINGO game - Disney style, with the most overheard comments at Disneyland,
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Yknow what's horrible about a lot of parents is when I hear them cussing either around or to their children. It breaks my heart to see kids go through that. I'm sure most of them grow up cussing as well. Very unfortunate.
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

• The magic is in the shoes

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    Yknow what's horrible about a lot of parents is when I hear them cussing either around or to their children. It breaks my heart to see kids go through that. I'm sure most of them grow up cussing as well. Very unfortunate.
    Yeah, my goodness. I've seen it so bad before, parents hitting their kids, cursing at them. They aren't getting down on their level to see what's the matter. So sad..

• M's mommy

I think my favorite is "Do you know how much we spent to get here? You better stop or we are going home!?" Which I wonder so which is it? The amount you spent to come on vacation or the fact that your kids are startled or tired, and need a rest?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I hear that phrase everytime I go to Disneyland. Both of my kids I said it once and then......took them home. Once you follow through with your threats, kids take you a hell of a lot more seriously. No problems after that.

I'm ashamed to say that I have been using a reverse version of that phrase in these last couple of weeks leading up to our Disneyland vacation:

"Do you want to go to Disneyland? Only good boys get to go to Disneyland!"

Of course, at this point, there is not much that would make us miss our Disneyland trip but fortunately he doesn't know that. When we get to Disneyland, I'm going to try REALLY hard to not to use the "Do you want to go home?" But I will take your advice and count how many times I hear it, lol.

One thing I will never forget, I must have been about 11 or 12 years old and I was walking back to the hotel with my mom when the little girl in front of us lost a hold of her balloon and started crying (mind you this was 11pm) and the mom FLIPPED OUT and was screaming at her overly tired upset child. Over a stupid balloon.

But I agree if you are going to threaten your kids with leaving the park you better follow through!

• LOL

I am guilty of using a similar statement. My statement is "Do we need to go back to the hotel for a nap". The difference is that the grands know it is not a threat. Twice I have pulled tired children from the park for naps and recouperation at the hotel.

The statement that I tend to use the most is "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". My ex-daughter in law is verbally snarky and nasty and the grands have adopted her style. Needless to say they are verbally mean to each other as often as possible. It takes me about a week to get them to stop.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I hear that phrase everytime I go to Disneyland. Both of my kids I said it once and then......took them home. Once you follow through with your threats, kids take you a hell of a lot more seriously. No problems after that.
    Follow through is the key. I've learned not to threaten anything that I'm not willing to do. I know that if I bluff, my kids will call me on it.
    I will say that as a parent, there are definately times when our patience is completelly shot. We all lose it from one time or another. While abuse of any kind is NEVER condoned, there isn't a parent alive who hasn't said something out of anger that he didn't mean, and didn't feel bad about later.

• no flash photography...

I've said it to my child...and then we went home...not an empty threat when I say things.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

"I'll turn this bobsled right around if you don't stop, Timmy!" (or doombuggy, pirate ship, Autopia car...)
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• -

I've got to say, my own conversations at Disneyland have definitely changed since I have kids. In my late teens and early twenties, I used to go with my cousin all the time. Our conversations were simple: "Should we eat?", "What do you feel like going on now?", "Hey, check out that chick, she has a nice (fill in the blank)."

Now that I have kids, either my wife or I are always asking them if they want to go home or wait in the car with either Mommy or Daddy while the rest of the group finishes having fun at Disneyland. Usually, I get as a far as taking them out of the park to the entrance plaza before they realize I am serious about going back to the car. We then have a nice discussion about their behavior and we can go back in and join the group. Follow through is the key.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Rock Star Minion

I don't see anything wrong with this threat. One of my kids would say "yes" and mean it, though, so I can't use it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I have used the "let's go home" phrase once...and I think it hurt ME more than my kid. I get so disappointed when the boy doesn't get a disneyland trip cuz then neither do I!

But yeah, as a few parents above have said...I've used the "go home" maybe twice and followed through and the boy realized that acting like monster = leaving the fun.

OR

I just threaten to sell the kid again....(see signature below :P)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast