View Poll Results: Where Should Marvel Themed Attractions Be Built?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland - Building Marvel attractions in Disneyland is fine with me

13 5.04%
  • DCA - Building Marvel attractions in DCA OK

25 9.69%
  • 3rd Park - Put Marvel in a 3rd park only

120 46.51%
  • Anywhere Disney wants to put them

45 17.44%
  • Nowhere - they don't belong in any Disney park

55 21.32%
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234561328 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: The Gospel of Marvel from the Book of Al Lutz - Save Disneyland

Anywhere they fit. Disney Imagineering will make the right call on that one. Disneyland, DCA, 3rd park, whatever. As long as they fit.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

I'm probably going against the grain with this opinion, but I have no problem with Marvel being in any of the parks (Disneyland included), as long as they "fit" with the theme of whichever land they are placed in.

Of course, the idea thrown around the most on here would be to create a "Marvel-only" 3rd gate, but really, how realistic is that idea? Not to mention how "boxed in" it would be? Heck, we were all in an uproar when we heard that Carsland would be themed ONLY to the movie. Something tells me that *if* the time comes when Disney will announce a Marvel-specific park, we will be hearing many of the same arguments and criticisms that had been leveled against Carsland.

And in any case, I don't think that a Marvel 3rd gate is the solution. Despite what many of the people here may think, the intellectual property of Marvel is, theoretically speaking, on an equal level as the intellectual properties originally owned by the Walt Disney Company, and to a certain extent, Pixar (whose creative property is more and more becoming unified into the whole Disney brand by the day). We shouldn't "relegate" the Marvel properties into a separate 3rd gate just because they're not "Disney enough".

That's a point that, IMO, is important: Marvel is, now, Disney. Disney is Marvel. There is (again, theoretically speaking) no valid reason why Marvel characters, stories, and concepts can't be integrated into Disneyland. On one important caveat, and this applies to *all* rides in general: as long as they fit the theme.

Will I take a Marvel attraction in Disneyland that fits the theme over an original attraction (or an attraction based off a "Disney" character) that doesn't? Yes, I would in a heartbeat.

Just my .02 cents.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• -

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Anywhere they fit. Disney Imagineering will make the right call on that one. Disneyland, DCA, 3rd park, whatever. As long as they fit.
    Exactly! Thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Will I take a Marvel attraction in Disneyland that fits the theme over an original attraction (or an attraction based off a "Disney" character") that doesn't? Yes, I would in a heartbeat.
    Also well stated.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

I see the purists have steered way clear of mentioning Indy and Star Tours in DL. Sort of undermines the argument?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    I see the purists have steered way clear of mentioning Indy and Star Tours in DL. Sort of undermines the argument?
    I know right with those black hats that have funny big buckles and their weird white shirts and Old English tones... oh wait those are Puritans nevermind.

Hey maybe we can get Tony Stark in the exit of Lincoln instead of Miley Cyrus!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Just my two cents... Indy did work wonderfully in Adeventureland. Star Tours is more of force fit into Tomorrowland (pun intended). But then again some of T-lands most popular attractions have nothing to do with tomorrow. It's always been the most openly interpreted of all lands.

Funny, the one attraction that fits in most with Walt's vision of tomorrow is Innoventions. And it's one of the most reviled. Why? Because tomorrow is a moving target and harder to keep up to date. So the attraction goes stale quickly.

The bottom line is if they do a great job on the attraction and story, then yes some Marvel characters can fit in T-land.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

For those of you who don't read our Thursday column SAMLAND, the history of Disneyland and the core of its success was the hopeful version of the world that Walt constructed. Disneyland isn't just an escape, it is the world as you wish it was.

Sadly, many of the younger Disney executives and Imagineers really don't know what Disneyland is and why it has been such a success. The magic doesn't come from the word "Disney" or even the greatest wizbang ideas that pop out of the minds of the Imagineers. The secret sauce is the perfect world which is at once wholesome and good for the whole family (all ages).

That modern Disney has lost touch with what made it great to begin with is a sorrow.

Making Walt's Tomorrowland a gritty urban streetscape inhabited by comic book villains isn't what Tomorrowland is about. Pushing Marvel in Tomorrowland just isn't a good fit. Perhaps they can find a way to make Wall-E work, but that wasn't exactly a hopeful version of the future as Walt demanded. Many would argue that the original Star Tours didn't really fit in Tomorrowland either, that it does not take place in our future at all, but rather a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Is it a great ride - YES - but it would better have been built in a studios park. If they had the money, I'd rather that Star Tours 2 - 3D was built at DCA and removed from Disneyland all together. Tomorrowland is in desperate need of getting back to its roots. There is enough fear in the world about the future. Disneyland should be the one place you can go where you have hope!!!

I'm not against non-Disney properties ending up in the parks, but they should end up in the right parks. An attraction based upon Pixar's UP might work quite nicely in Adventureland. If they got the rights to Rango, that could work in Frontierland. A new land could still be built at Disneyland, there is room for it. But the theme would need to compliment the story of the entire park and not just be plopped down for synergy reasons.

To assume that the "Imagineers will make the right decisions" is an extreme fallacy, and any of the senior Imagineers would tell you that. Many bad decisions were forced on Imagineering by folks in charge (executives, marketing, corporate synergy, Marty Sklar, Paul Pressler, etc). Was it brilliant to build the hideous Toy Story Playland at Hong Kong Disneyland? It is a travesty built by Imagineering. Was the Disney Studios Paris park or California Adventure well designed and beloved? No, but Imagineering built those too! Don't assume that Disney will make the right decision with Marvel simply because they have talented Imagineers. They have plenty of people who have been willing to force garbage products on consumers.

The pressure that Imagineering is under to deliver on Marvel is great. Don't assume that they will make the right decision; because, when Iger says "where's my Marvel attraction" they are going to build him one whether it ruins Disneyland or not. And their hope will be that, just like Star Tours, people will be so dazzled by the wizbang technology that they won't care that Tomorrowland has be destroyed in the process.

I'm looking forward to Marvel attractions, but they need to be in the right parks (perhaps DCA, certainly in a 3rd park) but not at Disneyland.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 05-06-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Let me get this straight:

It's OK to have Star Wars and Indiana Jones in Disneyland...but not Marvel? Does not compute.

I eagerly await the Stark Expo to replace Innoventions and the thermonuclear backlash that'll cause.
    Agreed.

This is a larger scale version of the 80s with Star Tours and 90's with Indy.

I'm all for a Stark Expo attraction replacing Innoventions, and Iron Man being in Tomorrowland IF it is themed well. Disney can do anything. They can make things work. The future IS things like the Iron Man Suit. there's already talk of body suits like that floating around, and before they end up creating a very slimmed down version of it (unlike something bulky and very prototype), why not envision the future with something like this being a part of it?

Now, I'm not saying call up Bolliger and Mabillard and make a flying coaster themed to Stark and his suit, and smack it inbetween Autopia and the Monorail, but I am saying find new, EXTREMELY innovative ways to mesh the two.

Say what you will about this, because I know I'm of the severe minority on this one. This is just my two cents.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I'd love to see Marvel get it's own park! Can you imagine how awesomely immersive it would be?

• I'm from Canada eh!

That's a point that, IMO, is important: Marvel is, now, Disney. Disney is Marvel. There is (again, theoretically speaking) no valid reason why Marvel characters, stories, and concepts can't be integrated into Disneyland. On one important caveat, and this applies to *all* rides in general: as long as they fit the theme.

Just my .02 cents.

Not sure I agree with you there. They maybe owned by the same company, but Marvel and Disney have had very different upbringings. Going forward there could be a level of synergy with the two properties, but remember, both companies have very diverse and different pasts that make it almost impossible to shoe-horn one into the other that easily.

Marvel is not the same as Pixar as it has only know life while being associated with Disney. From the very beginning (of popular knowledge anyways) Pixar and Disney have been partners, therefore, including Pixar characters in the Disney cannon in natural. Marvel Characters have had a very successful, pre-Disney life. To introduce them together without proper care to ensure they mix well together would be like making Selena Gomez the lead singer of The Foofighters; a very odd mix indeed...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Here are the responses so far from the MiceChat Facebook page

Poll - Where should Disney build Marvel attractions (Disneyland, DCA, 3rd park, anywhere, nowhere)

about an hour ago · 20

• Monica Alcala likes this.

• Daryl Marez ‎3rd Parkabout an hour ago ·
      • Hayden Jackson Wait, where's the poll?about an hour ago ·
      • Patty Vanderpool Add onto DCA...about an hour ago ·
      • Raquel Dominguez ‎3rd park....about an hour ago ·
      • Jasmine McKenzie Seattle. ;o)about an hour ago ·
      • Todd Murphy ‎3rd park about an hour ago · Like
      • Lisa Dalporto If they must, third park. PLEASE not in Disneyland.about an hour ago · Like · 1 person
      • Bud McDevitt ‎3rd park.about an hour ago ·
      • Rebecca McConville Christensen ‎3rd park. Definitely NOT in an existing Disney park!!about an hour ago · Like · 1 person
      • Dani Ganley ‎3rd park if they MUST.about an hour ago ·
      • Jason Moreland ‎3rd Park. Let's see Disney work some Imagineering magic with Marvel and give us another unique theme park experience.about an hour ago ·
      • Heather Pérez I say a third parkabout an hour ago ·
      • Katrina Andrews Considering I hate seeing the merchandise as it is in stores anywhere in Disneyland or DCA I would have to say a 3rd park. It doesn't belong there AT ALL! They have plenty of things they could have marketed just fine to boys. Of course they have failed at that before (anyone remember Peter Pan all aggressive, lunging at you weilding a knife a few years ago?!?!)about an hour ago ·
      • Jack Wixom III There is no room anywhere in DCA or DL (and it just wouldn't fit theme wise) so I'd say a third gate at Toy Story lot.about an hour ago ·
      • Jack Wixom III Of course that would spell the end of Baxters' $500 a ticket park idea.about an hour ago ·
      • Claudia Mda Hollywood studios!!about an hour ago · Like
      • Jamie Shere Preferably nowhere, but if they must, make it a 3rd park.about an hour ago · Like · 1 person
      • Jeff Anderton ‎3rd park, as adding Marvel to Disneyland or DCA would take away the magic of these parks by introducing "non - Disney" However I think they need to add Jessica Rabbit to Toontown 47 minutes ago ·
      • Renee Marchetta I know Disney owns Marvel, but having comic book rides would just feel weird.. No rides period.44 minutes ago ·
      • Amanda Newberry ‎3rd park

MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Red Face Re: The Gospel of Marvel from the Book of Al Lutz - Save Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Because in the future we'll all have superhero powers? Not!
    Because in the future we will have talking fish microphones, buzz lightyear will come to life and send us on a journey to shoot zurg, and we will fly around with c-3po and Darth Vader, Right? C'mon that argument doesn't really work. Tomorrowland is pretty much sci-fi land, and Iron-man is pretty realistic compared to star wars. He has no super powers, but relies on advanced technology. Am I right?

Disney is quite compartmentalized. If they want to create a movie about a kid and his dog, they release the film under the Buena Vista line. If Disney wants to show a boob, they release said boob (or any alleged boob) on Touchstone.

You see lots of stuff associated with Buena Vista in the park, but you rarely see Touchstone stuff in the park for a reason--it doesn't fit even though it is Disney.

Let me know when TLM ride gets a naked Daryl Hannah animatronic added and then we'll talk. :-)

(That's a Splash reference for you whipper snappers)
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• keh!

i actually don't like the idea of a 3rd park being Marvel. call me a doubter, but i just have a hard time believing WDI can pull it off. keep it at Universal. Disney hasn't even topped The Adventures of Spider-Man!! who knows when they'll get near to topping the Harry Potter attraction. i can imagine a cheap, half-a**ed opening day. so much stuff will get cut out. The Imagineers are so creative but they will be forced to trim the projects severely due to problems with the budget. i can already see it happening again just like with DCA, HK, and WDS in Paris. just what we need, another half day park.

the Marvel universe is potentially infinite for a theme park, but WDI will probably lack ideas for it. and we will see it when off the shelf carnival rides are put in with stickers of Wolverine on the side.

• Not on the Jedi Council

ABC Soap Opera Bistro at Yesterland

Yesterland can show you what forced synergy looks like. It will look as silly and date as well as that.

Factor in also that for many years Marvel appeared at Universal Studios Hollywood, where it did fit.

well, okay, it kinda fit... and maybe those of us who remember this.. this is why we are thinkin.. uhm, at Disney? You sure about this?

3rd gate, please. Biggest issue would be, Disneyland=Main Street 1920-1950, DCA = California or at its closest, Atlantic City circa 1920, Marvel = NYC circa 1960-present. I'm not hatin on New York, just agreeing with others as to why Marvel wouldn't make for a good fit at the California park.

And just what will happen to Marvel Super Hero Island anyway? I really can't imagine a Disney park being all that different, and I thought Disney parks were about doing things that hadn't been done before.

[edit: I looked on the search engines, and found out the contract for Marvel Super Hero Island runs to at least 2018, so it might be a while before this really becomes an issue.]
    Last edited by QuiGonJ; 05-06-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: found new info.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234561328 ... LastLast