View Poll Results: Where Should Marvel Themed Attractions Be Built?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland - Building Marvel attractions in Disneyland is fine with me

13 5.04%
  • DCA - Building Marvel attractions in DCA OK

25 9.69%
  • 3rd Park - Put Marvel in a 3rd park only

120 46.51%
  • Anywhere Disney wants to put them

45 17.44%
  • Nowhere - they don't belong in any Disney park

55 21.32%
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Re: The Gospel of Marvel from the Book of Al Lutz - Save Disneyland

I'm with Dusty on this one. I am all for an amazing Marvel E-Ticket, but NOT in Disneyland, or DCA for that matter as that park is finally becoming a "Disney" park. I am a huge Marvel fan, and a huge Disney fan, but they are like oil and water to me, they don't mix. Even though they have super powers, most super hero comics and movies are set in the modern day. And I go to Disneyland to "leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy", not to enter modern day Manhattan. It doesn't feel right to me. 2 different worlds. Seeing Mickey walk around with Spider Man would just be wrong.

That being said, I would love a third park of just marvel characters! (and not just the super hero characters either) Disney's Marvel Universe! That could be an amazing park if it is done right and not on the cheap like DCA 1.0. It would give the marvel universe room to breathe and add everyone's favorite heroes. Also it would make it a completely different park than either of the two parks, making it very unique. Just imagining entering the world of the comics, the possibilities are endless! If you are listening Disney, please be patient and don't just greenlight a ride right after the box office results of some new film. See what characters are still popular years later and if you can resist building any marvel rides for right now, the payoff of a marvel park down the road would be the best solution in my opinion. Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Indiana Joe; 05-06-2011 at 05:26 PM.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Banned User

I'm not sure I buy this "Disneyland and Marvel appeal to two totally different demographics" based on the fact that I, myself, LOVE Marvel Comics.... and I also LOVE Disneyland. Just about all of my friends who I go to Disneyland w/ regularly are also huge fans of comics. Most people have grown up w/characters like Spider-Man, the X-Men, Captain America etc alongside w/ Disney, so chalking it up as two entirely different demographics is lazy at best, and denial at worst. That being said, does that necessarily mean I want Marvel in the parks? Yes and no. I don't want Marvel stuff just shoehorned in with no rhyme or reason just for the sake of doing it. ie, Spider-Man climbing the castle, the X-Men chillin' on Main Street. If an attraction can be built that would fit the theme of an area... like a new Marvel themed 3-D to replace Captain Eo when they take it away again, that wouldn't be too bad. I'd much rather have a 3rd park featuring them, so they can tailor it to the vast universe they have at their disposal and make the absolute most of it. Imagine having a scaled down version of the castle in Asgard as the centerpiece of an entirely new park...

How epic would that be? Now, to be fair, all of the people that don't want Marvel in DL, fine.... if they are kept separate... actually keep them separate. No Mickey Mouse dressed as Spider-Man in the park, on the Incredibles, etc. That's what I think is so funny about some people that don't want Marvel in a Disney park... they seem pretty down with tossing Disney and Pixar in a Marvel one.

• Closed Account

Stark Expo would fit perfectly in Tomorrowland. That isn't a "gritty urban cityscape". Stark Expo was inspired by Walt and the World's Fair, and EPCOT so much so that they had RICHARD SHERMAN create the theme music for it. It's not shoehorning something in that doesn't fit, it's a perfect match.

Create a Marvel themed water park in the land they bought across the street.

• Herr Ducktor!

Dear marketing folks,

Disney also owns ABC. That doesn't mean you'd put a DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES attraction into a Disney park, would you? No, you would not.

Same with Marvel: different demographics, different universe.

Disney was making comic book characters long before Stan Lee was in short pants, and live action films and TV in a multitude of genre for almost as long. If Walt had wanted to incorporate superheroes into the Disneyverse, he would have done so. Not that we have to slavishly adhere to his memory, but let's acknowledge that this is an instinct call he DID make. And his instincts are nothing to scoff at.

Pixar is a different matter. That was a studio built on similar principles to Disney, but leapfroggong Disney in embracing the storytelling capabilities of a new technology. Considering that Disney built an empire on doing exactly that--creating the first sound cartoon, the first color one, the first feature one, the first theme park, etc.--bringing Pixar into the fold is very much in that grand tradition.

Marvel is a good acquisition; long may it prosper. But mentally place it in ABC-space, not Pixar-space, okay? And definitely not in the Disneyverse.

Glad we could get this straight.

Sincerely,

Von Drake

• Not on the Jedi Council

Oh, and to those who are asking "but what about Star Tours and Indy?" I would offer this: ILM had a computer graphics division founded in 1979. The most notable effects sequence it created was the Genesis project demo reel created for Star Trek II, and some of you might remember the stained glass knight in Young Sherlock Holmes.

Lucas sold his graphics group for $5 million to Steve Jobs, who renamed it... what was the name again Jobs came up with? Oh yeah, Pixar. One of the demos they made to sell the old Pixar computers was Luxo Jr., and I think you can find the rest of the story easy enough.

Sides, Star Wars and Indy were throwback pictures, more innocent stories in a cynical age. "Long Time Ago" and all that.

Marvel is cool, I like Marvel, and they certainly have moral stories in them. I just don't think they would be congruous with the rest of the park.

• film975

Von Drake I totally agree. Just because Disney owns something doesn't mean it must be included into the parks. And not everything they own is included like that. Disney had nothing to do with the creation of Marvel's characters. They do have some great characters and stories. But I just don't see them mixing well in the Disney Parks. Besides, John Lasseter is the guy in charge of the parks development right now. And I don't see him embracing the idea of putting Marvel in the parks (since he himself is a big Disney fan). Bob Iger has even said he doesn't want to mix the brands like that either.

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Stark Expo would fit perfectly in Tomorrowland. That isn't a "gritty urban cityscape". Stark Expo was inspired by Walt and the World's Fair, and EPCOT so much so that they had RICHARD SHERMAN create the theme music for it. It's not shoehorning something in that doesn't fit, it's a perfect match.
    Just because Richard Sherman wrote theme for the Stark Expo doesn't mean it has to be the replacement for Innoventions. Mr. Sherman has done many things besides Disney you know.

• Banned User

I would love it if Disney decided to add the Stark Expo in the Innoventions building as a temporary attraction (3 to 5 years) before they add an E-ticket in that spot, just to piss off the fans.

That'd be one of the funniest things of the year for sure.

Even better if it was elaborately well themed, and fit in EXTREMELY well. Just to say "Yea, this works. Now what does everyone have to say?"

Put me in the "if done right, it can work" camp. I think if people automatically reject the idea, it's too bad. The Marvel universe is huge and a lot can be done to introduce characters/attractions/shows in a way that keeps the Disneyland integrity intact.

I also think that you have to remember that Disneyland is part of a business and always has been. So if it makes business sense to introduce Marvel, it's going to happen. BUT again, since it's a business, the introduction of Marvel is not something that's just going to happen for the heck of it. They are smart enough to realize the risks involved and I assume market research would be done to see if the benefits outweigh the risks.

We are in a Disney bubble here. We discuss and debate things WAY more than the average Disney Park visitor would ever dream of. So it's important to remember that even if the seemingly majority of people here dislike the idea, that doesn't mean the majority of average park visitors would. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a good number of average visitors would welcome another element of the Disney universe in the parks - especially something as popular as Marvel.
    Follow me on Twitter: Steveo1485

The countdown is on! Back in the parks in early June!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Anywhere they fit. Disney Imagineering will make the right call on that one. Disneyland, DCA, 3rd park, whatever. As long as they fit.
    There have been plenty of theme blunders.

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    I'm all for a Stark Expo attraction replacing Innoventions, and Iron Man being in Tomorrowland IF it is themed well.
    How does one theme an expo beyond it being an expo? All it would be is a franchise slapped on that somehow makes it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Theflyingtire View Post
    Because in the future we will have talking fish microphones, buzz lightyear will come to life and send us on a journey to shoot zurg, and we will fly around with c-3po and Darth Vader, Right? C'mon that argument doesn't really work. Tomorrowland is pretty much sci-fi land, and Iron-man is pretty realistic compared to star wars. He has no super powers, but relies on advanced technology. Am I right?
    Previous inconsistencies does not justify future ones.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
    [edit: I looked on the search engines, and found out the contract for Marvel Super Hero Island runs to at least 2018, so it might be a while before this really becomes an issue.]
    The contract has no expiration and there are no renewal periods.
    MARVEL AGREEMENT BETWEEN MCA INC. AND MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    So then why the need for the additional, artificial layer? Obviously the message means something and still has merit, so why not just be honest with it? Why cover it up in fictional characters when it has so much more power as a real message?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How does one theme an expo beyond it being an expo? All it would be is a franchise slapped on that somehow makes it better.
    How does one theme a tech house beyond it being a tech house? especially considering the majority of whats in the house is dated 'today', and not futuristic?

You're right. It'd be a franchise slap. But Nemo is a franchise slap, and that eats up guests being in line ALL day. Same goes for Buzz. Pirates. Roger Rabbit.

Popular items sell. they get people in the gates to experience things from their favorite films that are closer than a silver screen.

IF done right, the expo would be great to add. It'd give a tech version feel of its a small world (world peace) with a LOAD of not just national, but international gadgetry. There's a lot of concepts globally that could make this a really cool thing.

BUT.

It's been said that its not going to happen so the fans of not letting anything new touch good, old, nothing really new, Disneyland can sleep tonight.

• Not on the Jedi Council

lazyboy, fair enough...

• Banned User

So in theory does Disney and Indiana Jones mix well? oil and water anyone? yet it seemed to fit just fine.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    So in theory does Disney and Indiana Jones mix well? oil and water anyone? yet it seemed to fit just fine.
    typical response, and I'm gonna pop people's balloons here, but:

ITS A CLASSIC! IT"S BEEN THERE FOR A LONG TIME!

....basically its grandfathered into the 'we like this ride' genre.

• Infinitized!

I voted for 3rd park, however, I don't necessarily want the 3rd gate to be a Marvel themed park, but if the Marvel Characters got their own park, I'm fine with that. So maybe the poll could be re-phrased a little or add another option, with say, "Marvel characters in a park of their own." (4th gate? )

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast