View Poll Results: Where Should Marvel Themed Attractions Be Built?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland - Building Marvel attractions in Disneyland is fine with me

13 5.04%
  • DCA - Building Marvel attractions in DCA OK

25 9.69%
  • 3rd Park - Put Marvel in a 3rd park only

120 46.51%
  • Anywhere Disney wants to put them

45 17.44%
  • Nowhere - they don't belong in any Disney park

55 21.32%
Page 1 of 39 12341126 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Exclamation The Gospel of Marvel from the Book of Al Lutz - Save Disneyland

Al made an insightful post in today's Disney News Round Up about Marvel in the parks. I hope both Disney fans and Disney Executives take it to hart. Disney and Marvel fans deserve to be treated with respect and these worlds do not necessarily need to collide. Yet collide they will if the fans of both properties don't make their voices heard and loudly.

With all the rumors going around, a lot of you are writing in with pretty much the same question: Just how much Marvel are we going to see in the parks?

Essentially the buzz right now from all the outposts is, "an awful lot." Will it be as much as we see with Pixar? It depends. If the Marvel box office numbers begin to approach those of the lamp boys up north, the sky could be the limit. Spider Man churros would be just the beginning.

Would this be a good thing? While Pixar's world for the most part plays well within the Disney universe, Marvel tends to appeal to a much different audience. Is it unique and large enough for a new Park of its own? That's what they're working to find out now.

My take? I think the branding boys tend to go a little overboard. The suits tend to forget that a one-size-fits-all marketing policy only takes away what makes each property unique simply to facilitate a unified message.

Give Marvel the universe that it deserves. Then celebrate the differences between it and Disney's. The fans of both deserve no less.
    I have no problem what so ever with Marvel or Disney owning Marvel. However, this is one time when Synergy and One Disney initiatives could really hurt Disneyland. Listen to the Marvel and Disney fans and give the Marvel characters their very own worlds in which to play. Don't ruin Disneyland and the other Magic Kingdoms in the process! Let the properties exist as brothers and not Siamese twins.

Can I hear an AMEN?!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• (Not a) New User

Re: The Gospel of Marvel from the Book of Al Lutz - Save Disneyland

I definitely agree. I never want to see Iron Man next to Mickey! It would be cool if they got their own park, but leave the others alone!

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

I think they need to leave Marvel out of Disneyland (with the exception of perhaps in the gift shops where our beloved characters are incorporated into the Marvel costumes perhaps), however my entire reasoning behind going to Disneyland is to escape reality and enjoy the magic of what Walt's dream was. I highly doubt his dream was to have Iron Man parading around Tomorrowland, or Thor scaling the side of the Matterhorn. What's next... Spiderman taking the place of our beloved Ghost Host? No thank you!

I thought that Disney had purchased additional property next to California Adventure (I could be mistaken on this), why not incorporate another "Land" that's a home for Marvel?

And what about Islands of Adventure at Universal Studios Orland...? They have an entire section there devoted to Marvel Comics. Ughs.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I would love to see Disney create exclusively-Marvel parks, but I do not think a Marvel attraction should be thrown into a traditional Disneyland.

The settings alone for the two worlds are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Marvel stories take place in a very urban, contemporary world, whereas Disney resides in the nostalgic worlds of old. They simply do not fit together.

Perhaps a Marvel park could be DLR's third gate? I wouldn't mind that at all! I would happily visit! Just keep Spiderman away from my beloved Sleeping Beauty Castle! They do not mesh!

(Dear suits, please, please listen to this...)

Like Al has noted, the Disney demographic and the Marvel demographics are very different. By all means, Disney and Marvel can live in the same apartment complex, but they would hate living together...decorating alone would be disastrous.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

They should absolutely make the 3rd park a Marvel Park and leave those characters out of Disneyland. However, since they had to spend so much money on fixing DCA, the 3rd park is many years away. Therefore, there is a lot of pressure to start building Marvel attractions and entertainment in the existing parks.

you may have noticed that there is a sudden increase in chatter on the boards about Marvel in the parks. Note that Disney is paying attention. If they think they can get away with adding a Marvel attraction without a huge Marvel or Disney fan blow up they WILL do it.

Folks, if ever there was a time for you to be vocal, now would be the time.

Make no mistake, I'm a HUGE Marvel fan, I would love to see Marvel attractions. But I don't want to see them at Disneyland.

Marvel has a very different demographic than the normal Disney or Pixar consumer. This is one time when Disney synergy could seriously hurt both the Disney and the Marvel brands.
    Find us on Facebook:

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I disagree with the idea of a Marvel park. The proposed one took a more realistic view than Marvel Super Hero Island, but it was still the idea that you entered the brand. A Marvel park removes the illusion of reality that has been so popular with recent super hero films. It is the brand mentality that so many are criticizing Disney for taking when considering Marvel characters in the existing parks. Instead of the justification being that it all falls under Disney, the justification is just moved down to all items falling under Marvel; the same bad justification for Pixar Place, where items fit because they are Pixar productions. It also adds fuel tot he fire that is doubt in the ability of themed entertainment to be venues for new ventures, saying instead that they should be tied to specific, known properties.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    I definitely agree. I never want to see Iron Man next to Mickey! It would be cool if they got their own park, but leave the others alone!
    I think for temporary events, the Fab Five dressed up as Marvel characters would be fun; but it would work against efforts to melt Disney and Marvel. If Mickey mouse can dress up as Jedi, why can he not also dress up as other characters?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The brands don't mix. They are oil and water with very different demographics. Just because Disney now owns both is not a sufficient reason why they should be merged.

Disney Imagineers can work magic. Let them work that magic for Marvel in parks other than Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Perhaps at the Studio parks and certainly in superhero themed parks.

The Disneyland brand is a powerhouse which should be respected and understood by Disney. If they stray too far from the path, they could easily end up like Six Flags and Knott's Berry Farm (both of whom strayed too far from the family friendly segment) to their peril.

Folks don't just plop down tremendous amounts of money on Disney because Disney tells them to, they do it because them feel a connection. Once that connection is broken, one time fans can turn in a heartbeat.

New Coke anyone?
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

IF (and that's a BIG "IF") they can place a Marvel Attraction in an appropriately themed land/district/etc, then I wouldn't have an issue with seeing Marvel in any Disney Park. An Ironman Expo type of attraction could work pretty well (and in my opinion, better than Tron - oh, boy will that generate a controversy?) There are so many aspects of a Stark World Fair that would be a perfect fit for TL. And, yes, I'm growing fond of the idea of Spiderman hanging on Tink's line, during a special fireworks show. And consider how well Indy and Star Wars Characters fit into Disneyland, no reason why certain Marvel Characters couldn't eventually find an appropriate home at DL, too.

As for a Marvel Park only, I really wouldn't want to see a park limited to just Marvel characters, just like I don't like the idea of DCA being a PIXAR only Park. Keep themeing open enough so that it's not so limited. Walt's original lands are great in that they allow a variety of characters from various movies to live side by side.

Oh help me if they throw it in Disneyland.. I grew up with Marvel and do not get me wrong..I would love to see something..but not in a meld all together.. I can see it now.. Tomorrowland..Adventureland..Marveland
    JMO but keep Disney..well Disney

I totally totally agree Dusty. Bravo! And very well said

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The brands don't mix. They are oil and water with very different demographics. Just because Disney now owns both is not a sufficient reason why they should be merged.

Disney Imagineers can work magic. Let them work that magic for Marvel in parks other than Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Perhaps at the Studio parks and certainly in superhero themed parks.
    And the Marvel banner itself does not justify just taking those characters and placing them all together in one dedicated land or park. Especially if the recent films are going to be the basis, we have yet to see any cross overs between the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the X-Men films or the Spider-Man films, just looking at the big names. Yes the comics themselves have had almost every imaginable situation, but just like the films, cultural resonance is going to be based around the archetypes of each character and not obscure scenarios, incidents and "What Ifs."

The characters should be used where they can tell the best story placed in the land where the two both work together in creating the greater experience. The Magic Kingdoms are a poor fit because the character archetypes do are part of the archetypes that make up the lands.

This issue of demographics should mean nothing in a park lineage that, from its design stage, set out to break down the rules of demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    New Coke anyone?
    Only if the slight majority of guests are telling Disney they want Marvel additions, give said additions high praise in previews and only then get upset after the grand public opening.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Lot's of great responses on this question from our Facebook page.

Does Marvel have a place in Disneyland or should it have its own parks? Your thoughts count.

• Bud McDevitt - NOT in Disneyland!23 hours ago · Like · 3 people

• Cheryl Forguites - Goldman Oh please, let them have their own parks. They don't have any magic... If I want to see Mickey and his friends or the Princesses I don't want to have to encounter superheroes. It just isn't right!23 hours ago · Like · 2 people
      • Daryl Marez - Marvel should keep to itself. I am a fan of both but a Disney Park is Disney Park, it shouldn't be a hodgepodge of things mixed together to gain more money. 23 hours ago · Like · 3 people
      • Bernadette Silva-Thompson - Their own park!23 hours ago · Like · 2 people
      • Rachel Tyson - As much as pixar or disney's movies do. So yes, but not too big of one.23 hours ago · Like
      • Mike Kerbs - No thank you. I don't want to see Spiderman and the Hulk when I come to Disneyland.23 hours ago · Like · 2 people
      • Bud McDevitt - Mickey Mouse is THE Super Hero of Disneyland! He doesn't need competition!23 hours ago · Like · 1 person
      • Stephanie Quevedo - its own!! 22 hours ago · Like
      • Bud McDevitt - Seriously? What next? Spiderman helping MM or taking his spot in Fantasmic! C'Mon! If they want to build a Marvel Land and keep it in that land...perhaps. I'm just not sold on these guys roaming the park. Ugh! Could you imagine seeing the Hulk strollin down Main Street? Where are we? Universal Studios? Ewww. 22 hours ago · Like · 3 people
      • Angie Koehne - I think Disney is working hard on this, I belive they will have their own park!22 hours ago · Like
      • Jennifer Legro - I do not want to see anything Marvel inside Disneyland. I think it would only fit in Hollywood Studios, but thats pushing it for me. I vote for its own park.22 hours ago · Like · 1 person
      • Denece Vincent - Not i'n Disneyland! Ugh. Never never never21 hours ago · Like
      • Amber Blanco - dont ruin the magic with marvel...own park.21 hours ago · Like
      • Nathan Parrott - Marvel should stay in Universal Studios.21 hours ago · Like
      • Rebecca McConville - Christensen Not in Disney parks!!! A huge, emphatic NO!!!20 hours ago · Like
      • Kellen Christman - Marvel should have its own park...no one was crying when Indiana Jones and Star Wars characters showed up...its time to let it go and embrace it20 hours ago · Like · 1 person
      • Michele Clauser - Marvel should have its own parks. Keep Disney Disney & pixar.18 hours ago · Like
      • Jennifer Cobian - Ohhh it's own park!!! Too Universal Studios not Disney or princesslike. Stay away from my happy place =)

Find us on Facebook:

• Refugee from a island

I know there a multitude of people who will disagree with me, but hey...

I think, judiciously applied, the Marvel brand could be a good fit to revitalize TomorrowLand.

Just a thought.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Because in the future we'll all have superhero powers? Not!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

My 7 year old son LOVES Marvel. He knows random characters and can tell you if they are Marvel (cool!) or DC (eww). He also loves Disneyland - even being up here in Washington, he kind of "grew up" at the park with as often as we go. His take was surprising to me "Mom, I don't get why Disney bought Marvel. I mean, Hulk would look stupid in front of the Castle. And where would they put the rides? California Venture (his name for the other park...I like it!) is already getting kind of full with CarsLand. Disney should just own them and get the money from them but not put them at Disneyland."

Granted, he's 7 and has no understanding of things like a 3rd gate or some kind of expansion of DL behind Fantasyland (which, if he did, I'd tell him that space is totally reserved for Villain's Lair or some such awesome name for a land for the Disney Villains!) - but to him, a kid who sleeps in his Captain America costume and can sing the theme song to the cartoon version of the Avengers, Marvel doesn't belong in a Disney Park.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

Page 1 of 39 12341126 ... LastLast