Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Launch sequence engaged

Re: Goofy's Sky School Delayed Until July 1st

For the record, at least the Dumbo queue is better than MFW. Six Flags has nicer lines than that cement pit. Hell, the Great Pit of Carkoon is a nicer place to be.

I'll take my chances with the Sarlacc.
    [/starwarsnerd]
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    lol. If they can spend $150 million on a movie that brings in only $6.8 million its first weekend then I would think they can fix up the shops next to games of the Boardwalk sooner than 10 years out.

Mark me as one hoping "complete" is just marketing talking.
    Realize that
    1) TOTALLY different department.Films are given budgets that have NOTHING to do with Parks, cruiselines, food, shopping, etc. UNLESS there is a tie in with something (ie: Preview spot for Pirates 4 in Thunder Ranch.)
    2) Mars Needs Mom was a total flop. Period. They realized that 1/2 way through the creation, but had to finish it.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Realize that
    1) TOTALLY different department.Films are given budgets that have NOTHING to do with Parks, cruiselines, food, shopping, etc. UNLESS there is a tie in with something (ie: Preview spot for Pirates 4 in Thunder Ranch.)
    2) Mars Needs Mom was a total flop. Period. They realized that 1/2 way through the creation, but had to finish it.
    Does Uranus need dads?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    Does Uranus need dads?

Come up with that on your own, huh?

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Come up with that on your own, huh?
    A true reporter never reveals his sources.

• Launch sequence engaged

At least he was more subtle than Freakazoid:

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• -

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I feel like walking out on this limb here and saying it but... why did TSMM need a detailed queue building? Why did Silly Swings need a detailed queue? At a MINIMUM I'd expect shade, and with that shade the Victorian details on the structure providing that shade... I believe you may have a little snot you want to wipe up.

But you're right... I can enjoy standing in line at DUMBO which was originally installed with the park and moved to its current spot in the 1980's. Hey while we're enjoying "rides put in 30 years ago" why don't we also put on big hair wigs, wear ripped jeans, and talk about that new band Guns and Roses! We could all cram into a Datsun and drive to Magic Mountain because who needs a "theme park" when you can have coasters and concrete queues with chains? Oh forgot to hand you a tissue for that snot sorry...

ahh the breeze you can enjoy when you stand out on the limb!
    A perfect example of the whininess that I was talking about. No, they donít need any additional theming. They are fine as is. The only thing they may need is shade. The rides themselves donít even tell a story for goodness sake. If they did, like Indy, I could see adding a thematic queue. BUT THESE DONíT. The queues fit the theme already, a generic roller coaster and ferris wheel at a seaside amusement park. What else is needed to tell that story? Again, focus on the positive improvements that have been made and worry about things that are real issues.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Seriously, everyone is crying like a little girl TDA exec denied his bonus because he didn't cheap out enough on the two queues about the two queues.
    Fixed that for ya.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

At some point it will come to an end. The million dollar question is "when"? Disney has proven in the past that they won't tear anything out unless it is so horrible the turnstyles rust over from lack of use.
    Reply hazy on an actual opening date. Based on what I know today, I can hypothesize that the school will still be standing at the end of the decade. Sucks, I know.

The days of detail simply for the sake of detail have long since passed. Now we have pastel colors on Main Street, talking fish in Tomorrowland, and a complete lack of Victorian detail throughout half of Paradise Pier. If the lack of detail were limited to those attractions awaiting a refurb I'd agree with you about "we'll get there".
    Oh, absolutely. That pathway between Bug's Land and Hollywood? Hideous, and totally unnecessary. And the enhancements to GRR? No attention to detail there, whatsoever. Have you seen the latest Star Tours construction? Don't even get me started on the Cars Land rock work.

I don't mean to be too sarcastic, but it's true. Here in Cali, they're doing a hell of a job, and they should be commended for it. They just can't win 'em all, I suppose.

The problem is Fun Wheel is supposedly "done", carousel and Screamin have nothing on the books in regards to a retheme.
    What makes you so sure?

My main point was in regards to Character placement and the need to push said Characters on the public. Just like Toontown it is at a point where the "attractions" would not otherwise survive. Disney has deemed it unnecessary to add details, banking on the sheer popularity of Goofy or Mickey's classic band to boost the attendance at failing attractions in Paradise Pier.
    Yes, I understood that and I concur. Franchising. It's the safest way to win the crowd.

• Senior Minion

A perfect example of the whininess that I was talking about.
    A perfect example of another poster's opinion being labeled "whiny" for no other reason than it criticizes a Disney Decision.

Again, focus on the positive improvements that have been made and worry about things that are real issues.
    Why? Because you say so?

Checking the MiceChat TOS, I didn't see a section that states posters are to "Focus only on positive improvements that have been made to DCA and worry only about things that are Real Issues as defined by calsig31."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

A perfect example of the whininess that I was talking about. No, they don’t need any additional theming. They are fine as is. The only thing they may need is shade. The rides themselves don’t even tell a story for goodness sake. If they did, like Indy, I could see adding a thematic queue. BUT THESE DON’T. The queues fit the theme already, a generic roller coaster and ferris wheel at a seaside amusement park. What else is needed to tell that story? Again, focus on the positive improvements that have been made and worry about things that are real issues.
    +1

But... the shops really do need to be redone. That's all.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLRaddict View Post
    Yay! Somebody agrees with me. Do you like Maliboomer Park as well? Because I think it looks nice when you walk through.
    Yeah, I think the Maliboomer park looks fine! I havent been there since it opened, but from the pics, it looks fine and I cant wait to see it next month on my own!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    A perfect example of another poster's opinion being labeled "whiny" for no other reason than it criticizes a Disney Decision.
    And yet people who like the changes and contemporary Disney are labeled "fanboys."

A perfect example of the whininess that I was talking about. No, they don’t need any additional theming. They are fine as is. The only thing they may need is shade. The rides themselves don’t even tell a story for goodness sake. If they did, like Indy, I could see adding a thematic queue. BUT THESE DON’T. The queues fit the theme already, a generic roller coaster and ferris wheel at a seaside amusement park. What else is needed to tell that story? Again, focus on the positive improvements that have been made and worry about things that are real issues.
    If the goal is confused mediocrity, the pseudo-modern elements (e.g. cheap Screamin queue tents) alongside the well-detailed gingerbread Victorian elements are fine as is.

If the goal is to create a top tier theme park environment - one that compels the visitor to spend and return - Paradise Pier in its entirety has to evoke a romantic, days-gone-by vision of the seaside amusement pier. This isn't whining, as you kindly put it, but a simple fact. A fact WDI, to their credit, understood, which is why all the PP redesign originally featured this kind of redressing (as we know, budget was directed elsewhere). The remaining contemporary elements (the Pavilion, carousel, coaster queue exteriors) are not a big deal monetarily to bring into the thematic fold, so one could rightly hope that these changes will come in time or without major announcement, as has been alluded to above.

But it's definitely fair to take an official announcement that Paradise Pier will be "complete" on July 1 with some disappointment, as anyone who understands what constitutes top tier thematic design can see that PP will not be complete at that point. It's disappointment that PP has come so far in becoming a Disney quality environment (there's some focus on the good), but is announcing it has finished the 1,000 meter race with 150 meters still to the finish line (for the time being).
    Last edited by RandySavage; 05-05-2011 at 06:39 PM.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Yeah, I think the Maliboomer park looks fine! I havent been there since it opened, but from the pics, it looks fine and I cant wait to see it next month on my own!
    Yeah, a lot of people don't like it, but I think it's nice to have. It reminds me of that little stretch in front of NOS Railroad Station and to the side of Haunted Mansion. It's just a relaxing little area to sit at, or walk through. It will be even better when the restaurants open up. I'm sure that it will be a popular place to enjoy a snack.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast