Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Goofy's Sky School Delayed Until July 1st

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Realize that
    1) TOTALLY different department.Films are given budgets that have NOTHING to do with Parks, cruiselines, food, shopping, etc.
    I understand that. But when quoting a comment of "lots of hands in Disney's pies", my comment was in context. Talking about the company's finances as a whole, it was still misspent money, regardless of what budget it was in. WDP&R and WDStudios have different budgets, but at the end of the day corporate is still responsible for what their divisions do with the company's money/name/brand (regardless of where the approval came from - and DCA's redo budget was approved by corporate). And since the divisions are not necessarily run to be "self sufficient" (ie no one division ever carrying another during a bad year) then there is only so "separate" we can consider them.

These are both examples of things that can be negative for their brand. Its just interesting that the cheaper fix is the one that will be around longer, and not forgotten as quickly, but not acted upon.

Regardless. Is the public's reaction to the "new" DCA going to be better regardless of this? Yes.

They realized that 1/2 way through the creation, but had to finish it.
    Doesn't matter. For how long DCA has been criticized, and considering the size of Mar's Needs Mom's failure, I expect that we as Disney fans owe it to Disney to bash Mars Needs Moms until at least Disneyland's 75 Anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    "go to a seaside pier NOW and see what the queues look like"... why? This is meant to be late Victorian Boardwalk, possibly some Arts & Crafts as you get near Golden State. It isn't meant to look like "today" it is meant to "take you back".
    I agree and I want to build on that. Regardless of the era it is supposed to be, if we want Disney to "go to a seaside pier NOW and see what the queues look like" and be OK with them matching that, then I'd say lets just forget all queues, not just the pier queues. Let's be consistent. Why should Disney's queues be a higher quality than anyone else's queues for any ride?

The answer is because they are Disney, that is the standard they set for themselves. So if we're going to let it slide in the pier, maybe we could just forget the queues on Fantasyland Dark Rides and maybe e-tickets too. If we're only going to hold Disney to a higher standard on some rides, why bother?

Its not like we're asking for Indiana Jones queues or interactive queues like Florida, we're just asking for detail in line with the rest of the new pier for a consistent, seamless immersive experience, however many or few changes that may take. It just isn't there now.
    Last edited by tloolgb; 05-06-2011 at 07:25 PM.

• Infinitized!

What's so depressing about this news? It's just a few extra weeks and it's just a Wild Mouse coaster. Would be way more depressing if Little Mermaid was delayed.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Some parts were left out simply because they don't make that much of a difference to the over-arching goal of Phase I (shops, etc). Yes, redoing them is absolutely vital to the overall theme of the land, as are themed queues even... but in terms of the budget given and the goals and constraints of Phase I, they aren't.
    Oh I just saw this one, and I liked it, so I wanted to comment. I get that and agree with that...and never had any issue with that until Disney used the word "done". Up until Disney said that, there was always "later"...and that was OK. But until we know exactly what the semantics of Disney's use of "done" is in regards to Paradise Pier...it is fair to be disappointed.

Yeah I don't get why everyone is upset over this. If you actually paid attention to the construction, the writing was all over the walls. Even if you are upset because it won't be open on your vacation, would you rather ride an incomplete-themed ride and walk into restaurants still being shaped, strolling around on unfinished pavement?

The rains caused a heavy delay. These things happen. Not like it was delayed until next year or anything.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    Oh I just saw this one, and I liked it, so I wanted to comment. I get that and agree with that...and never had any issue with that until Disney used the word "done". Up until Disney said that, there was always "later"...and that was OK. But until we know exactly what the semantics of Disney's use of "done" is in regards to Paradise Pier...it is fair to be disappointed.
    Done = "the bits we've been working on are done." Not "paradise pier as a whole entity is forever done with no more construction every coming to it so deal with it."

Trust me on this one. They aren't done. Just done with these bits.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• -

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    The Carousal in Disneyland just looks nice as a whole, plus is surrounded by a Castle and a small village, the Mermaid themed on is just placed in a corner with nothing to look at but water......not the same at all. Disneyland rides in Fantsyland maybe from the 50's but the theming and placement and money put into them over the years make them different and MUCH better than anything over at DCA.
    No, dude. King triton is not just shoved into a corner. Like the one in Fantasyland, it is also surrounded by themed buildings. These just happen to be victorian. It also overlooks a lagoon which is supposed to be a seaside setting which fits in with the ocean stuff that one rides on.

Just because the other is an original Disneyland attraction does not justify it not needing a themed queue if Triton's does. ( I personally don't think either does, but if the argument is made that one does, then so does the other.)

Further, I would just like to point out another Disneyland attraction that everyone seems to covet... The peoplemover. What an elaborately themed queue that had... A pair of speed ramps.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    No, dude. King triton is not just shoved into a corner. Like the one in Fantasyland, it is also surrounded by themed buildings. These just happen to be victorian. It also overlooks a lagoon which is supposed to be a seaside setting which fits in with the ocean stuff that one rides on.

Just because the other is an original Disneyland attraction does not justify it not needing a themed queue if Triton's does. ( I personally don't think either does, but if the argument is made that one does, then so does the other.)

Further, I would just like to point out another Disneyland attraction that everyone seems to covet... The peoplemover. What an elaborately themed queue that had... A pair of speed ramps.
    YouTube - King Triton's Carousel of the Sea
    ^look at this.....and you tell me that has a nice view.....haha good one. It looks like your at a Six Flags now look at the one at Disneyland
    YouTube - King Arthur's Carousel

You can tell from the video how, the music, ride and its location is ALL better than the cheap one at DCA, its cause it had years to get upgrades while that corner of DCA has not been touched since Toy Story. The point of a Disney park is for every little inch to feel special and loved and in DCA MANY area's still dont have this and wont for another 10 years or longer.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Instead of focusing on the physical line, consider the respective "themed building" said queue and attraction reside in. How well does each match their respective surrounding and the "overall theme of the land". While I find the tacky off the shelf animals of King Triton annoying, the main "issue" is the overall construction of the building. It looked bad before, but once TSMM went up the differences between buildings were "night and day". They're going attraction by attraction and re-doing them to match TSMM, yet Screamin and Triton seem to sit in a neglected corner standing out in the otherwise Victorian crowd. Equally shocking was the decision not to build any sort of shaded pavilion while MFW was down for refurb. So you have this giant classic Mickey face, cheap buckets with characters glued on them, and a barren concrete queue area.

It has nothing to do with age, but the parallels are quite striking. In the 1980's they decided to "redo" Fantasyland with a castle courtyard style theme. They spent a lot of time fussing over various details including King Arthur's Carousel. You do not see that same amount of energy being spent on the Paradise Pier "redo" currently. The emphasis on Paradise Pier isn't so much the details as it is character placement (per the budget priority conversation with mycroft).

At the time "moving walkways" were considered the future. Many locations (airports for example) installed moving walkways and malls popped up with escalators everywhere. The thought was that everywhere would be "on the move" in the future.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567