Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• First star to the right..

The Little Mermaid Ride Discussion Panel Review!

Hey fellow MiceChaters! First I want to thank you for baring with my spelling on the MiceChat Twitter Feed last night. It's hard with auto correct tweets and try and make sure everything was spelled correctly, especially since I was really trying to pay attention to all of this at the same time.

Now onto the review!

First of all Disney went all out for us, especially for such a small group. Only 150 invites were handed out which ment no more than 300 people would be at the event (though it felt like only about half that many where there maybe a few more). When we arrived they had us sign release forms because they were shooting part of it, not sure what for. We were then handed a bag of shwag which contained a nice matted photo of Arial and the newest copy of D23 Magazine. I'm not a D23 member, but I'm very excited to read it.

They had coffee and snacks for us, and didn't cheap out at all, very scrumptious! The Imageneers then started signing our Little Mermaid picture which was very cool. I wasn't able to get all of their signatures but I got a couple, defiantly plan on framing this!

We went in and they had a little introduction by one of the writers of D23 Magazine who was also the moderator. They brought the panel out which consisted of 2 animators (Mark Henn & Andreas Deja). Mark worked on all the Arial scenes while Andreas worked on Triton (though he was first assigned to Prince Eric). They talked about animating the movie and gave us a huge secret, the epic song Part Of Your World was almost cut from the film. Could you imagine TLM without that song? I couldn't!

They then started talking to the Imagineers who worked very closely with the animators to make sure everything was perfect. The lead on the project was Lisa Girolami. Prior to her becoming an Imagineer she was in the film industry (one of the questions that came up from people in the audience and fellow Micechaters was how to become an Imageneer, and they all had taken different paths). She explained how the ride came together and how they worked with the animators to make this come to life. She also told a funny story where Bob Igar came to visit the day before Christmas Eve and wanted to take a look at the progress. The one section they had almost done was Kiss The Girl. He turned to Lisa and started singing, she said it was like seeing a UFO and not having a camera! So funny!

They then moved onto Larry Nikolai who mentioned that the hardest part was trying to get Arial's hair to wave properly. He explained that the best part of the ride is the Under The Sea segment. It is 1/3 of the ride and contains 156 animatronics (if you include the starfish)! To me that is just amazing how much detail they put into it. They also went into what it was like to create the 8 foot Ursala. They used Velvet for her body, and where the movement was heavy they used rubber (mostly around the elbows and face). It was very cool to see her being put into her place (though all the videos we saw had already been posted on the Disney blog). Next was the heavy hitter Chris Crump. Super nice guy, was one of the people I got to sign my picture. His father was one of the original Imageneers and help Walt create the Tiki Room and Small World! He was in charge of Ursala and design of the ride. He explained why it took so long to create this iconic attraction. It had been in the works for a long time and a lot of designs had gone through the pipeline. It was one of the original attractions slated for the DCA makeover and survived budget cut after budget cut. It took 4 years for this ride to come together and it really shows (well at least from what they were saying and what we were able to see).

The one thing I found most interesting and can't wait to see is the 86.5 foot mural inside. It's like the one they have for Peter Pan and the rest of the Dark Rides over in Fantasyland but on a much grander scale. This is the one thing I will be anticipating more than anything else! Interesting fact, Larry painted a 1/86th scale of it in his home that took him 8 months to do. For every inch that was on his wall, they turned into a foot of theirs.

They then thanked us for coming, though we should have been really thanking them, and we left to go see WoC. But before we left I was able to nab a shot of the New Attarction poster! Go check it out! Very 1920's!

I hope you all enjoyed my review and the Live Blogging. I hope that I can do more of this for the community at some point!

Pan signing off!
    Last edited by Dustysage; 05-11-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Re: The Little Mermaid Ride Discussion Panel Review!

Thanks!

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Sounds fun, thanks for sharing with all of us who couldn't attend!
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• happiest bride on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    When we arrived they had us sign release forms because they were shooting part of it, not sure what for.
    ^It might be so they can post some videos on the Disney Parks Blog.

Thanks for the info! So sad I didn't get in, but can't wait for the ride. I had no idea that Rolly Crump's son was also an imagineer; how cool. So, did you get me a job?? lol
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy."

"There is really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting. We call it 'Imagineering' - the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

-Walt Disney

• Banned User

Wow! Great review, kinda wish I was there, but I've already ridden it 6 times! LOL

I think it's funny how they say Under the Sea is the best part, when I personally felt it was the weakest. As did A LOT of my fellow Coworkers. Besides the lighting being to bright, it just isn't as intimate as the rest of the attraction, which is what is my favorite thing about the ride! I hope by the time it opens though, they dim the lights to at least make it better. Can't wait for you guys to ride this!

• Banned User

FI, I made a twitter account just to follow you and your source from last time. Update everyone if any other opportunities open up, I'll be on it in a heart beat.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fantastic review, thank you for covering it for us Pan!

Even though Disney didn't really say anything new about the attraction, it seems like it was a great experience and we are so glad you shared your moment with us.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Dusty
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by gauchogirl View Post
    I had no idea that Rolly Crump's son was also an imagineer; how cool. So, did you get me a job?? lol
    Yeah, him and Chris actually designed Knott's Bear-y Tales together and that's what really got him in the business. He was, I think, a Show Designer on Sinbad's Voyage at Tokyo DisneySEA so I think that TLM will be great!

• Toad Hall

<font size=4> </font>

• Goofy

thanks for being there and to share this with us. looking foward to seeing the under the sea part.

• former CM

I hope that at the ride's official grand opening as many people as is possible who worked on the movie are invited, including Jeffrey Katzenberg.

--Tom Sinsky

Sorry, but I think you meant a 1/12 scale for the mural.

In your post you say that the Ariel Mural is 86.5 feet and that Larry painted a 1/86 scale painting on his wall. That means Larry's painting is approximately 1 foot (ie....86.5 x (1/86) = 1.005).

You then go on to say, "For every inch that was on his wall, they turned into a foot of theirs."

Since there is 12 inches in 1 ft, and we know Larry's version was only a 1 foot long, that would make a 12 feet mural ( 1 foot x 12 inches/foot = 12 feet).

O_O???

Actually, if every inch were turned into 1 foot, then it would be a 1/12 scale.

86.5 feet x (1/12) = 7.2 feet.

Which means Larry's version at home was likely around 7.2 feet, which would make sense, since it seems unlikely anyone would paint a 1 foot mural onto their wall or that they would need 8 months to do it.

Haha, Imagineers, it's our job to get the math right. Anyways thanks for the good work!!

Thank you for the awesome review! I wondered how that went.
    - Bobd

• First star to the right..

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    Sorry, but I think you meant a 1/12 scale for the mural.

In your post you say that the Ariel Mural is 86.5 feet and that Larry painted a 1/86 scale painting on his wall. That means Larry's painting is approximately 1 foot (ie....86.5 x (1/86) = 1.005).

You then go on to say, "For every inch that was on his wall, they turned into a foot of theirs."

Since there is 12 inches in 1 ft, and we know Larry's version was only a 1 foot long, that would make a 12 feet mural ( 1 foot x 12 inches/foot = 12 feet).

O_O???

Actually, if every inch were turned into 1 foot, then it would be a 1/12 scale.

86.5 feet x (1/12) = 7.2 feet.

Which means Larry's version at home was likely around 7.2 feet, which would make sense, since it seems unlikely anyone would paint a 1 foot mural onto their wall or that they would need 8 months to do it.

Haha, Imagineers, it's our job to get the math right. Anyways thanks for the good work!!
    that's why i quit math and became a writer! lol i hope my writing is a lot better than my math or i'm in serious trouble! lol

• Banned User

Damn that's a really classy attraction poster. Both this ride and star tours 2 have really nice posters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast