Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

DCA needs to go sideways

With the popularity of the movie "Sideways", and wine tasting being the trend of the moment, DCA needs to jump on it. It has a winery! I always thought the concept was a good one but the times I go to DCA, it is always empty (maybe because I almost always go during the week). Jump on the trend wagon and promote the hell out of the winery. From the visits I have made, it seems like a nice place, good idea and good restaurant mostly ignored by visitors.

Jump

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SanSooJustin
    With the popularity of the movie "Sideways", and wine tasting being the trend of the moment, DCA needs to jump on it. It has a winery! I always thought the concept was a good one but the times I go to DCA, it is always empty (maybe because I almost always go during the week). Jump on the trend wagon and promote the hell out of the winery. From the visits I have made, it seems like a nice place, good idea and good restaurant mostly ignored by visitors.

Jump
    Like I said before, they should have a food and wine festival inside the park... simular to the one that they do at Epcot... Don't know why they don't...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

With the popularity of the movie "Sideways", and wine tasting being the trend of the moment, DCA needs to jump on it.

First, you have to come up with the marketing message.

Why should someone travel to Anahiem, spend $10 to park and $53 a person to get into the theme park, then pay $5 per glass for wine, to visit a pretend winery? Why do this when odds are there is a real winery just as close or closer, that doesn't charge you to park, doesn't require you hike than tram then hike, doesn't have an entrance fee, and lets you do wine tasting for free?

Why Disney instead of the real thing?

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I say do the combination Food and Wine Festival; a great idea! They could even tie the event to the Downtown Disney restaurants. Disney, are you listening?? Run with this one, please! In fact, I'm going to fill out a comment card on this idea next time I'm at the resort.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Like I said before, they should have a food and wine festival inside the park... simular to the one that they do at Epcot... Don't know why they don't...
    The international food and wine festival works in Epcot becuase it has an international theme. You can get a few bites of japaneese food in "Japan pavelion", then go to Endland for a few bites of English food, then go to France for French food.....

How are you going to do that in DCA? Couple bites of hot dog in the pier, couple bites of bear meat in Grizzly Peak, roast rattle snake in Cementdor flats, sardines in the Wharf, fried ants in Bugsland?

Again, how are you going to get peope to pay $10 to park and $53 per person to get into the park, then pay $5 for a few bites of food themed to a California themed land?

• Minion

Jump
    But that's exactly what it was originally built as for the Robert Mondavi Winery. The tasting room was on the terrace, the medium priced Vineyard was on the second level terrace and then there was the more exclusive dining room with a prix fixe menu including wines.

We ate at the Vineyard during a preview opening and thought it was very expensive. The tastings were a little higher than elsewhere but they poured some good wines. It did poorly in those rocky first years and the Mondavi Company got out of its lease along with Wolfgang Puck at his location.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Yep, let's promote the booze......beer tasting at the Wharf too!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

Booze Makes DCA Tolerable - Being drunk and riding SSL would make you feel like a real movie star....they should of had alcohol closer to the attraction.
    When living in Vegas - Sin as the sinners do!

Find me on MySpace

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    The international food and wine festival works in Epcot becuase it has an international theme. You can get a few bites of japaneese food in "Japan pavelion", then go to Endland for a few bites of English food, then go to France for French food.....

How are you going to do that in DCA? Couple bites of hot dog in the pier, couple bites of bear meat in Grizzly Peak, roast rattle snake in Cementdor flats, sardines in the Wharf, fried ants in Bugsland?

Again, how are you going to get peope to pay $10 to park and $53 per person to get into the park, then pay $5 for a few bites of food themed to a California themed land?
    California has many differant types of food attached to it... Usually a blend of Asian and Itallian influences... Plus you can have some sea food... and influencial dishes from famous restaruants from SF to LA... Wolfgang Puck, Michael Curello (Tra Vigne), Martin Yan, there are others... Very Californian... As far as the wines... you can feature the vast differances from AVA's from Sonoma to Napa to Amador, to Lodi, to Santa Yenes, to Paso Robles, to Santa Cruse Mountains, to Temecula, to Anderson Valley, to Medocino...

Oh, and it is mostly paid for by the brands that come into the park to present their wines... Charge $750 to get a have a table... (include special event park tickets in the price for winery employees that they can purchase) If you have a "wine competition" combined with the event, people will be more likely to sign up...

That way it is only $20-25 extra for wine tasting... Set it up at the Golden Vine...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    But that's exactly what it was originally built as for the Robert Mondavi Winery. The tasting room was on the terrace, the medium priced Vineyard was on the second level terrace and then there was the more exclusive dining room with a prix fixe menu including wines.

We ate at the Vineyard during a preview opening and thought it was very expensive. The tastings were a little higher than elsewhere but they poured some good wines. It did poorly in those rocky first years and the Mondavi Company got out of its lease along with Wolfgang Puck at his location.
    Yes, that is true... But it isn't a wine and food FESTIVAL... Which has a differant set up...

Oh, and Mondavi pulled out of sponsorship a couple of years ago... Even though Seasons on the Vine is still attached to the Mondavi name...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Oh and work with the Orange County Wine Society... They can do the footwork so the park doesn't have too... They usually do their events across the street anyway at the Hilton...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel

gotta agree with you there, it's not just the whine it's the food and the setting

Epcot has MANY places to visit for these kinds of things, DCA has ONE (and soon us Washintonians shall steal your whine market away MWAHAHAHAHA I jest)

anywho your right about the food wrongway heck my parants loved that the most about epcot, hopefully our 3rd gate gets an international theme too it or somethin

• Minion

Hi cellarhound,

I understood the original poster was wanting to know why the place wasn't being used more as a wine tasting "California Experience." I haven't been inside DCA since the opening events and don't really know what they've done with the property since Mondavi vacated.

Do they even offer wine tasting any longer?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    Hi cellarhound,

I understood the original poster was wanting to know why the place wasn't being used more as a wine tasting "California Experience." I haven't been inside DCA since the opening events and don't really know what they've done with the property since Mondavi vacated.

Do they even offer wine tasting any longer?
    Yes they do... if that is what you want to call it a tasting... your selection is extremely limited by their tiny inventory of 7-10 selections - but they are not all Mondavi sellections and they probably have to purchase the wines they pour... it is at the wine bar next to Seasons on the Vine...

But I don't know if Seasons on the Vine is still open or not...

BUT they have another "wine bar" (a second one) on the other side of the building that is never used... I am assuming it was ment for events? Anyway... It is almost always empty...

I like the beer truck down at the wharf... There is also a Maragrita "shack" there too... As well as a full bar over by Ariel's Grotto...

A better place to taste wine is actually a place called the Wine Cellar under Hook's Point Restaurant at the DLH... Or even the bar at Catal, that had at one time a fantastic by the glass program... (I don't know if the program is still in place...)
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    BUT they have another "wine bar" (a second one) on the other side of the building that is never used... I am assuming it was ment for events? Anyway... It is almost always empty...

I like the beer truck down at the wharf... There is also a Maragrita "shack" there too... As well as a full bar over by Ariel's Grotto...

A better place to taste wine is actually a place called the Wine Cellar under Hook's Point Restaurant at the DLH... Or even the bar at Catal, that had at one time a fantastic by the glass program... (I don't know if the program is still in place...)
    You joggled my memory! Even under Mondavi's management the terrace never did a tasting. It was strictly wines by the glass. The other "wine bar" you mention on the other side is, I assume, where the Mondavi Gift Shop was when it originally opened. They also had refrigerated cases where you could buy very good deli style sandwiches and salads along with beverages.

Ariel's Grotto/Wolfgang Puck has always had a full bar/cocktail lounge since opening. Catal was considered the best restaurant in DD. I have very good memories of their opening night private party.

I agree with you that for a true wine tasting experience the Wine Cellar beneath Hook's Pointe is tops. I've been there several times and they always poured generously and keeping in mind where you are it was good value.

The Napa Rose also has a very fine wine list and used to pour some great ones by the glass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast