• *** - Good attraction, worth seeing

21 7.81%
  • ** - OK, see only if you have the time

7 2.60%
  • * - Not worth seeing

5 1.86%
Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

Re: Star Tours: The Adventures Continue Views and Reviews

As a huge fan of the movies and the original Star Tours, I find the debate about continuity between the ride and films interesting but any claims you can make about the new ride can be made about the original. A third death star? Really? X-wings still fighting Tie fighters after the victory on Endor? You have always had to throw out continuity between the ride and the film, so why should that be an issue now?

As far as CG vs models, the question I think people should ask themselves is would they rather deal with cg or the transitional problems with the original? Entering the Ice comet has always been so rough and abrupt that I am happy to have CG providing smooth transitions and seamless action.

Ideally it would be a combination of the two to make it all as perfect as possible, but it is what it is. If there is anything that should be criticized it is the use of CG to replace live actors. There is no reason not to have at least Vader be someone in a costume...

Ultimately, I just wish I could be there to ride it. My wife and I were supposed to be there this week but I had to have surgery at the beginning of may and am not allowed to ride anything until at least august.

Some of the other issues that seem, well non-issue to me are the battle scenes. If we think people are complaining now about having the Hoth battle on the ride, imagine the outcry if we went to Hoth and there wasn't a battle. There would definitely be an outcry about that. The battle of Naboo is even more of a non issue because there is no reason to think that the Empire wouldn't still make use of whatever resources or allies/subjects it has available including the trade federation and their warships.

If you want to talk about fixing it, it is easier than editing any of the films...Disney/Lucas just need to stop placing it in any specific time in the movie continuity and let every individual ride speak for itself. I am absolutely happy being in the Battle for Hoth or Naboo. And I am absolutely willing to accept what ever time line I get whenever I ride it.

I rarely post, and when I do I never take exception to specific comments because everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I have to say that whenever anyone talks about other people playing mind games with themselves, it just comes off as judgmental. Also it is pretty easy to turn it around, what if the people who didn't respond with enthusiasm just didn't want to seem "touristy" to the other cast members they rode with so they hid how much they liked, or maybe they even convinced themselves they wouldn't like it before they went on because the prequels sucked? Who is being mind tricked then. Also, the idea of a mind trick made me think of some cast member waving their hand in front of the weak minded riders saying "You will all love this ride, it is the ride you are looking for."

Quote Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
    If you want to talk about fixing it, it is easier than editing any of the films...Disney/Lucas just need to stop placing it in any specific time in the movie continuity and let every individual ride speak for itself.
    Another easy fix, yes. Sadly, Lucas didn't seem to notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocArzt View Post
    As for fooling yourself to hide from the utter disappointment ... you need to renew your subscription to Psychology today. That concept is completely ridiculous. As much as anyone loves the parks and the Star Wars series, I'm sure most of us are rational human beings and realize that this is JUST A RIDE. You like it, or you don't.
    I would have but they kept selling my name to other magazines. ;D

I wouldn't say it's totally ridiculous, I know people like this. I've brought other cast members at my location out of it regarding this attraction. It's not my job too, I just presented the way I felt and their responses were along the lines of "Oh thank goodness someone else thought so too! I thought I was going to have to keep pretending I liked it because everyone else wont stop talking about how great it is."

It's sad really. I'm not saying anyone here does this sort of thing. Just that some people do.

Quote Originally Posted by DocArzt View Post
    At any rate, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.
    Don't be. Its in no way any fault of your own.
    Last edited by Blurr; 05-26-2011 at 04:54 PM.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
    ...Disney/Lucas just need to stop placing it in any specific time in the movie continuity and let every individual ride speak for itself...
    As far as my experience went, I didn't get any sense of the ride taking place at a specific time. I know it was stated in a speech or press conference that it is "Episode 3.5," but there isn't anything in the queue that points to any specific time. And as Blurr will agree, the mishmash of scenes certainly doesn't do anything to establish where it falls. Did I miss something on the ride that placed it specifically in the Star Wars chronology?

I think it's important to draw a line between the ride as it is experienced by guests and whatever its creators say was their inspiration while designing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    Did I miss something on the ride that placed it specifically in the Star Wars chronology?
    I don't believe there is anything. Just the official statement from Disney/Lucas.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    This is a Disney theme park ride, which means that the fun should integrate with a well thought out story as well.
    Disney or not, rides are all about experience. Some rides have a semblance of a story, or very loose storyline, but those are always an excuse to present exciting experiences. Other posters have given lots of examples, like Matterhorn, Indy, etc. HM just has a backstory about a black widow. And before Jack Sparrow, Pirates didn't even have a semblance of a story -- it was just a series of set pieces around the theme of piracy. What's the story of the Jungle Cruise? You go into the jungle and see this and that animal. Walt knew a ride isn't a narrative; it doesn't need to tell a story.

The loose storylines in the new Star Tours do a great job of setting up the fun.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 05-26-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Disney or not, rides are all about experience. Some rides have a semblance of a story, or very loose storyline, but those are always an excuse to present exciting experiences. Other posters have given lots of examples, like Matterhorn, HM, etc. And before Jack Sparrow, Pirates didn't even have a semblance of a story -- it was just a series of set pieces around the theme of piracy. What's the story of the Jungle Cruise? You go into the jungle and see this and that animal. Walt knew a ride isn't a narrative; it doesn't need to tell a story.
    And I've answered to them why this doesn't apply in this situation, but heck, I'll say it again.

"The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain were not based off of movies. We don't need a proper story to enjoy the idea of blasting off into space, pirates or a haunted house. Agreed.

HOWEVER. Star Tours is claiming to flow seamlessly between a series of MOVIES. Storyline is vital to a movie and either makes or breaks it. As such, an attraction which claims to flow with them should have a good one of its own."

• We Go On.

I do agree, Blurr, that my post doesn't really apply to Star Tours. I was just making a point of WDI not being originally story driven. But yes. For Star Tours, story is a big part. Just like IJA or ToT.

Blurr, with loads of respect: Can you find a link to the press release/statement from WDI/Disney/Lucas claiming that the ride flows seamlessly within canon? I'm sincerely curious to see one.

BTW, this is great. I really like it here.

Quote Originally Posted by bossgalaga View Post
    Blurr, with loads of respect: Can you find a link to the press release/statement from WDI/Disney/Lucas claiming that the ride flows seamlessly within canon? I'm sincerely curious to see one.

BTW, this is great. I really like it here.
    Here you go, the first one is a video from the opening ceremony of Star Tours in WDW. The second is copy and pasted from the cast member "Hub" where they've been running a series of articles titled "Force Fridays" filled with information regarding the ride. I will copy and paste the segment which states it here and then screenshot it in case you don't believe me.

YouTube - ‪Star Tours 2 Full Grand Opening Ceremony‬‏

Featured in part 1:

"Since everything we do at Imagineering starts with the story, it probably comes as no surprise that one of the first things we set out to do with the new Star Tours show was to figure out when our story should take place within the Star Wars timeline.

The existing Star Tours show we internally refer to as "6.5," since it takes place time-wise after Episode VI Return of the Jedi. Story development for the new show began "a long time ago," back in 1998, and a story treatment from that year carries the title "Episode 7 - A Star Tours Classic" - referring to the Boonta Classic race that was to be the main feature of the show.

But by the time Episode I hit the screens, we were all anxious to know what would surface in Episode III that we might build on for the show. Naturally, we then were curious how Episode III would complete the series. In the end, after numerous discussions, we decided to place our storyline between the two sets of Star Wars trilogies, giving the project the working title "Star Tours 3.5."

Featured in part 2:

"After numerous discussions, we decided to place our storyline between the two sets of Star Wars trilogies, giving the project the working title "Star Tours 3.5."

This time period gave our show team the ability to tap into the very best of the Star Wars characters and adventures. But turning the clock back also required some interesting changes for the Star Tours show. The Starspeeder 3000 would need to be an earlier model, the Starspeeder 1000, with a new pilot (especially since Rex, the original pilot, opens the original show saying it's his first flight!)"

As you can see, "Episode 3.5" was at first a working title, but as evident in the opening day ceremony, its most certainly what they went with.

Screenshots with text outlined in red boxes:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...edghg/ST_2.png

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...edghg/ST_1.png

If you still don't believe me, and for some reason believe I went through the trouble to photoshop these images, you can ask any cast member with access the "hub" to check for you. Once they log in, click on the Disneyland Resort tab then scroll down to "headlines" and look for "Force fridays" there should be 3 parts at this point.

• Banned User

And I've answered to them why this doesn't apply in this situation, but heck, I'll say it again.

"The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain were not based off of movies. We don't need a proper story to enjoy the idea of blasting off into space, pirates or a haunted house. Agreed.

HOWEVER. Star Tours is claiming to flow seamlessly between a series of MOVIES. Storyline is vital to a movie and either makes or breaks it. As such, an attraction which claims to flow with them should have a good one of its own."
    This may be good in theory, but it is similar to Indy where the storyline was fitted into the queue and the ride itself had no story. Star Tours might have been cut up, and re-arranged into this Frankenstein because it was easier than making it work.

Awesome. Thanks Blurr, I appreciate the links -- and I certainly believe that you didn't photoshop them!

This definitely provides more context for the discussion. Thanks for taking the time.

• Minion

You guys can debate all you want, but Star Tours is definitely one of the best attractions in the Resort now. Absolutely perfect addition to the park.

Disney has been saying that they want more interactive attractions, so we have been getting TSMM and BLAB. At least with the Darth Vader beginning, that is what true interactivity is! The way they incorporate the Rebel Spy idea is just awesome. Great job Disney! I will be riding this attraction many times in the very near future!

• Keepin' it calsteady

"...In the end, after numerous discussions, we decided to place our storyline between the two sets of Star Wars trilogies, giving the project the working title 'Star Tours 3.5.' ... "
    I can't believe (well, I do believe it, but you know what I mean) that anyone could sit down to create a new Star Tours adventure, decide it would take place between Ep 3 and 4, and then come up with the Star Tours I experienced the other day!

Whether or not the mixed up storylines meaningfully detract from the ride experience is coming down to personal preference, but those mixed up storylines certainly do not fit into the time period that supposedly is the setting the Imagineers had in mind for the ride. They may have started out wanting a 3.5 setting, but the final version of the ride doesn't fit into it.

A Star Tours that truly bridged the gap between trilogies could have been really cool: You'd start out in a prequel world, get the Yoda/Leia/Akbar message and then jump to a prominent setting from the original trilogy. Rather than go to a scene from the original, you'd go to what would turn out to be a key setting as a foreshadowing of what was to come. For example, you'd still go to Hoth, but there wouldn't be a war going on. You could go to Yoda's planet, etc. with C3PO making some sort of comment about why we needed to deliver the spy to such a creator-forsaken planet.

(Which brings up one issue I take with the ride: Why do we all exit at the location the spy needs to be dropped off? I'm just a space tourist and I want to get to my vacation spot!)

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    You guys can debate all you want, but Star Tours is definitely one of the best attractions in the Resort now. Absolutely perfect addition to the park...
    I thought the new Star Tours was a fun ride, but I'd still say that whether it's one of the best attractions and/or whether it's a perfect addition to the park is definitely up for debate!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    I thought the new Star Tours was a fun ride, but I'd still say that whether it's one of the best attractions and/or whether it's a perfect addition to the park is definitely up for debate!
    What's debatable? It's re-rideable, immersive, fun, high-tech, futuristic, interactive, new, well-done, and just plain amazing. Definitely one of the best attractions in the park!

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    What's debatable? It's re-rideable, immersive, fun, high-tech, futuristic, interactive, new, well-done, and just plain amazing. Definitely one of the best attractions in the park!
    Agreed
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast