• ** - OK, see only if you have the time

7 2.60%
  • * - Not worth seeing

5 1.86%
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 456789101732 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Star Tours: The Adventures Continue Views and Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Alright another honest review--and I think the worst one I read about this ride so far lol. I havent done it of course, so I have to take your word. But not sure how it can ALREADY look dated? In fact watching bits of prequels even now looks good in terms of special effects. Yes, some of it look fake of course, always have, but it generally looks good. The problem was it was just TOO much of it.

And like you said, you only did it once. Can I ask what destinations did you get?
    It does look good in a stylistic Pixar way, but not in portraying a realistic atmosphere. The original trilogy created a universe that although far fetched, still felt like it could be real. The prequels did not, and without some firm grounding it just falls apart.

It shouldn't surprise you then that my opinion comes from this sequence:

Darth Vader
    Kashyyk
    Admiral Ackbar
    Naboo

All prequel worlds, and of course the poorly rendered Spaceport.

The ending for the Naboo destination is GREAT though.

• Banned User

Okay cool! I know people thought the CGI in the prequels gave it no weight, so not too surprised they would feel the same on the ride. But at the same time, I imagine its a lot easier to match the ride with computer graphics basically vs doing it all live action and with puppets. One of things I been reading is how much the ride seems to be in sync with everything around you. I would assume part of it is easier when you can just render a shot to match the movements.

• Banned User

I actually think a large number of the original shots, i.e, those renders made for the films and not the attraction itself, look decent. It was the Star Tours exclusive elements such as the Stewardess, Captain, Space Port, and Star Speeder that looked weak.

• Sock Puppet

Hi im new here. I wanted to know How does something like Hoth look in the ride - does it look like a "prequel-ized" version, or do they do a good job of recreating the scene in empire?

I am soooo bummed. Was at DL when they took the walls down, had hoped they'd start soft openings early. Oh well, will have to wait 'til next trip.

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by Telpeurion View Post
    It does look good in a stylistic Pixar way, but not in portraying a realistic atmosphere. The original trilogy created a universe that although far fetched, still felt like it could be real. The prequels did not, and without some firm grounding it just falls apart.

It shouldn't surprise you then that my opinion comes from this sequence:

Darth Vader
    Kashyyk
    Admiral Ackbar
    Naboo

All prequel worlds, and of course the poorly rendered Spaceport.

The ending for the Naboo destination is GREAT though.
    Aaaaand that's what I was afraid of... nothing looks real... figures. I'll still ride, but things like this make me dislike CG when it's overused.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Telpeurion View Post
    Star Tours is a good attraction, but I really thought they went the cheap route by not having ANY scale models. Everything looks smooth and shines with polish, and it looks absolutely fake. When you get to ride, compare the Space Port you are docked in at the beginning to the one in the original Star Tours. I am fine with having computer animation for effects that you cannot do feasibly otherwise, but do it with everything just sucks me out of the theme.
    I've only been skimming through the reviews, not to get too much information before I go on the ride myself, which now appears won't be till June 1rst. Your comment about the CGI models is exactly what I did not like about the Star Wars prequel films. I hated all the CGI ships in those films, as well as almost all sci-fi films over the last decade. The best computer made ships never looks as good as a well built model, filmed with a camera and a composite scene made. It is very hard to fool the brain. When you see something that isn't real is just doesn't look right, compared to something that was physically on set, lit well and shot.

• Jedi Knight

I am riding it Friday, and I'm pretty excited / nervous about it! We'll see how it goes

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    Guys, the music used in the actual ride is the original John Williams scores edited to fit their scenes. The new music(from what I read in some article, I forget where) is used only in the queue.
    Incorrect. Some clarification in ALL Lucasfilm rides (Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours).... the original sheet music and cues are used from John Williams' original scores but they are re-recorded to match the specific timings needed for synchronization. Other chords or cues are lengthened as needed for the scene as well.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Incorrect. Some clarification in ALL Lucasfilm rides (Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours).... the original sheet music and cues are used from John Williams' original scores but they are re-recorded to match the specific timings needed for synchronization. Other chords or cues are lengthened as needed for the scene as well.
    Well they did one hell of a fine job in IJA and the original ST imo.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky28 View Post
    THIS. I'm really disappointed with MiceChat for leaking this so quickly.
    I believe AL had posted a link to skip the spoilers...didn't he? If so, then you had the opportunity to skip over it. Also, any thread that is giving reviews of a brand new attraction is going to have spoilers. If you don't want to have the surprise ruined for you, then don't read it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

I liked it - and loved all the little things I saw before and during the ride. The little dinky things going on in the 'advertisement' videos (the main screen video is pretty nice!) and even the safety video and 'arrival' videos in the loading areas have little things to watch out for.

There are a lot of plugs to the original ride which I loved, and overall the entire experience was just great. The only issue I am going to have is with the Fastpass system - it's going to make the queue be twice as long as it should be.

It's a fun, fun ride and experience. I'm probably not as critical as some, tho. I enjoyed it and will ride it again and again.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

I think that if you don't want spoilers, then you shouldn't be looking at this thread. I live 2,000 miles away from the nearest Star Tours attraction, so I'd rather see all the spoilers because I'm not visiting anytime in the future.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    Well they did one hell of a fine job in IJA and the original ST imo.

They sure did and that was all Richard Bellis. Michael Giacchino did the job for the new Star Tours and while he's one of my favorite film composers, I think Bellis would have done a better job since he's done it before.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland255 View Post
    I believe AL had posted a link to skip the spoilers...didn't he? If so, then you had the opportunity to skip over it. Also, any thread that is giving reviews of a brand new attraction is going to have spoilers. If you don't want to have the surprise ruined for you, then don't read it.
    Have to agree with this! Al gave a link that you could simply SKIP OVER the spoilers, its your choice to use it. Or just do what I do when you dont want to see spoilers, squint your eyes and quickly scroll up like I been doing with the pics lol.

But yeah, these threads are natuarally going to have spoilers! I made a decision to stick it out until opening day then I'm completely out as things will obviously will ramp up in that dept. But even now, I'm making a choice to be spoiled to be in here as is everyone.

My only suggestion to people if you want to read info on it but dont want to be spoiled, simply make a seperate thread stating that and you will probably get more censored and safe responses. Its that simple.

Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 456789101732 ... LastLast