Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DCA: What to do with the Lake in PP?

Many threads about what to do with DCA, but I've yet to see anything about what I see as "wasted space" with the water/lake/lagoon or whatever it's called near Paradise Pier. There has got to be something they can do with that big area.

The thread about a Skyway from DL to DCA got me thinking that maybe a skyway, similar to those you see at traditional boardwalk areas (Santa Cruz, Atlantic City) traversing accross the lake would still be in keeping with the "boardwalk" theme and provide transportation from one area of the park to another.

However, there has got to be more they can do with the water. Maybe some of the "Sea Racers" they have in WDW or an "Aquatopia-like" attraction.

Anyways, what to do with all that water and unused space?

Well, it wouldn't be much of a pier without any water by it now would it?
    Hail Matt Ouimet, the savior of Disneyland!

• What have I done?

All fun ideas but I beleive that "Wasted space" is there on purpose and they wont touch it... it is to add to the theme! Or lack there of you decide. I wish they would do a show there, dificult maybe but hey its Disney! I have faith. :o

"This guy!"

I think it Paradise Pier would be significantly improved if they added some actual beach theming: sandy beach, wave machine, lifeguard tower, perhaps some surfers (as the Matterhorn has its climbers back). Heck, why not some aquarium type exhibits, so that you get a real flavor of the California coast. Nothing fancy, but a kelp bed, colorful fish, etc.

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by Importance
    I think it Paradise Pier would be significantly improved if they added some actual beach theming: sandy beach, wave machine, lifeguard tower, perhaps some surfers (as the Matterhorn has its climbers back). Heck, why not some aquarium type exhibits, so that you get a real flavor of the California coast. Nothing fancy, but a kelp bed, colorful fish, etc.
    Man thats great... maybe not surfers but Wave Riders! They do have a wave machine but it had to be shutdown for one reason or another... there should be an article from Al Lutz on the site: Mouseplanet about that. They had issues with it when they would shut it down to carry bands from the backstage area across the lake to the concert area. Durign there Music days forgot what it was called. :confused:

"This guy!"

• Banned User

It is there to make the pier ook pretty all lit up at night.

And isn't that the true measure as to the succes of a theme? If it pretty from a distance when it's all lit up at night.

(Whenever someone tells me they love the theme of the pier, this is the answer I always get. "It is so pretty all lit up at night". Oh, silly me. I thought a theme should actually be fun to be in the land.... I see.... Themes are good if best when viewed from a distance at a time of day that the park is closed.)

• all started by a mouse

yea, maybe they can do some kind of show like they do at Universal Studios. Jet ski's pirates, Nemo ...Just do something!!!!
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

• /sigh

Gondalas. Not very californian, but would be very neat nonetheless, especially at night.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Disneyland and TDR fan!

I wish they could have like a night time watershow.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

That area really does look great when the wave machines are actually working... which, unfortunately, is hardly ever.

As I've said before, DCA has great potential and I can't wait to see what Matt is going to do with the park once the focus is off Disneyland's 50th.

• It's all nonsense

Three words....swan paddle boats!

• Que que no-tu-rah.

I think they should fill in the lake, demolish Paradise Pier and start again. This area of the park is exactly the kind of thing Walt was trying to avoid.

But seeing as that will probably never happen. I think the skyway idea is intersting.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

• Disneyland and TDR fan!

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    That area really does look great when the wave machines are actually working... which, unfortunately, is hardly ever.

As I've said before, DCA has great potential and I can't wait to see what Matt is going to do with the park once the focus is off Disneyland's 50th.

My last visit there I was surprise to see waves hitting the rocks by the launch area for Maliboomer. I didn't know that they have a wave machine all this time.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by aktiv8
    I didn't know that they have a wave machine all this time.
    Great! Thanks for shattering my dreams!

•   
    • Minion

Once I watched this kid kick off his shoe into the lake... and didn't care untill his mom start to walk away... He started crying....

It was wonderfull really... I don't know if they actually got it out or not... but you would think they have a contingency plan for stuff like that...

To be honest, they need a fountain or Mickey statue in that center thingie that they don't use for anything...

A night show on it would be nice... doesn't have to be firework based... Just with lighting and music... and maybe some projections...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast