Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Your idea for a new peoplemover

I am curious to know what some Micechatter's conception/ideas would be for a new Peoplemover? Do you think the "retro" cars should return, should they cover the track, should they have new futuristic looking cars? Your thoughts?

• The one, the only...

Re: Your idea for a new peoplemover

I think that the "LOOK" of the cars is key. They have to look cool and futuristic. Some have argued that they have to go fast. I love fast rides, but since I don't believe that the track will accommodate a faster trip. A faster ride would also mean a shorter one. I think a slow ride would go over fine also be popular, as long as it really looked cool and maybe had some gadgets to play with inside. I think that giving the rider some control over the speed at points would also be popular. I know that the ride would still have to keep moving, but I think that having it speed up or slow down in sections would add something to the ride.

The reason I think a good look is key is everyone loves driving in a new, shinny ride, even if you are just sitting in traffic...
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

I think covering the track somewhat with see-through glass with a neon edge would look awesome. The cars can be a nice white with some lighting to show through the glass at night and it would look really cool in general.

Of course the ride should be the standard leisurely paced narrated tour of Tomorrowland. "Speeding up and slowing down in sections" is way too Rocket Rods-esque to work. It would just put the same old stess on the track, which was made for a slow ride.

I would also reroute the track a bit. I think it's awfully redundant in some parts around Autopia. A simple single curve over the Autopia would serve fine.

• Animatronic

I suggest a slow ride around Tomorrowland with peek throughs to the amazing rides and shops of the land. Of course this would require adding some amazing rides and shops. Then, the cars would enter a building and attach to a centrafuge simulator like Mission:Space and launch you to a fully built out Mars base in a new show building. While on the Mars base you'd get a great view of the promise of the future, then return in second centrafuge simulator. This seemless high speed trip to mars and back, combined with the real views of the tomorrowland rides and shops, coupled with some scenes of animatronic characters doing futuristic things should make quite a ride.

In a nod to the amazing future, the cars could even have OLED view screens that advertised future products as you passed the stores in a way that seemed like sci-fi, only the products and the store would be real. Much like the amazing "One of a kind" antique shop in New Orleans Square searches the world for amazing antiques, the Star Trader wouldn't sell plush toys, but products gleened from the cutting edge of technology from around the world, because, as you know, all the countries of the world work together in this future. Walt said so!

And one final note, all the CMs would be slender again because this is the future as Walt saw it... and the radio disney stall would return to selling Space Mist!

I say put teacups on the track and let people spin themselves barfy all the way around Tomorrowland.

• Koubu Pilot

I liked the look of the old cars. You have to examine them to notice all the lines on the car bodies and yes, even the roof. The cars did have edging on the side like you see on today's cars (they were designed by Bob Gurr who used to do designs prior to becoming an imagineer). Some people on other threads and other discussion boards keep saying to make them look like those egg-pod things from the Incredibles, but that won't work because they would have to alter all the tunnels to make them fit. I liked the old design. They would still match the Tomorrowland architecture. Make them too sleek and they'll make the buildings look even more old fashioned. I liked the second paint job more than the original, though I think they should use the metallic paint on the People Mover. Using LIMs would make it a little more futuristic than the old spinning tires. As for covering the track, It would probably be better not to have a covered track because the old cars had safety bars installed to keep the people in. In case you don't know, 2 people died on the People Mover. One died when he tried to reach for his girlfriend's purse and fell out. The other had a teenager jumping from car to car. He missed and fell on the track and was crushed. I think both were crushed. I don't know if TTA in Florida has ever had any deaths, but with how careless people are today, it would be better to take the safety precautions. Besides, building a canopy to cover the entire track would take up more of the precious budget.

One thing I wish they could do is enclose Starcade's 2nd floor and make an adjustment to the track to recreate a little of Space Mountain. It would be exciting for kids and it would hearken back to the old and Tron versions of the Superspeed Tunnel for us adults.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu
    Make them too sleek and they'll make the buildings look even more old fashioned.
    And what's wrong with that?

But I guess the question is, are we shooting for a retro-Tomorrowland that harkens back to the '70s, or are we still envisioning a state-of-the-art land of the future? And I mean our future, not 'the future that never was' with that '98 crap, just so no one gets confused.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

If I built my own version of the people mover, I would build a few set buildings that it can go through. And in those set buildings will be stages, with AA's, of Disney's Yesterland attractions.

(Ex/ on stage room would be in tribute to Adventures Thru Inner Space, The next stage room would be a tribute to the Country Bears, etc.)

The way I see it.....If a ride is no longer around and pieces and AA's from that ride are still around and unused, why not put them back to use again rather that letting them collect dust in storage?

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    And what's wrong with that?

But I guess the question is, are we shooting for a retro-Tomorrowland that harkens back to the '70s, or are we still envisioning a state-of-the-art land of the future? And I mean our future, not 'the future that never was' with that '98 crap, just so no one gets confused.

The buildings still show their '67 architecture. It's not very likely they'd bulldoze the entire complex since there's too much invested in it. There would be more to lose this time around because of Buzz being new, the buildings hugging Space Mountain on the sides, the land's main shop and two large fast food restaraunts would all be lost. We'll probably be stuck with the same architecture until those buildings become too unsound to use anymore or an earthquake levels them (and the rest of the place). "The future that never was" '98 crap was a bad idea. The place looked rusted over (and who's bright idea was it to expose us to warm colors in the CA sun?) and Autopia's grandstand still has the old color scheme. The metallic colors are really moving toward that '60s/'70s retro future. They should really move TL toward the sci-fi future Hong Kong has. '60s/'70s retro future could work because the of the existing architecture and those two decades had some of the most memorable sci-fi series and movies to date (like Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc). The best way to liken "too sleek" is to think of Star Wars. The original trilogy was great. When the special edition was released in the '90s, you could tell what was added digitally, but it was tolerable (except to the most diehard of fans). The DVD release is altered a little more. Then look at the prequel trilogy. You have all these sleek spacecraft that make it seem like aerodynamics took a backstep in the years between ep 3 and ep 4. It's not 100% between the two trilogies. Something needs to occupy the space above TL, but its look should be consistent with the rest of the land.

• Where's my other cent?

I don't think that it would be too difficult to change the looks of the buildings. The overall interior space would have to stay the same to accomodate the rides and such, but the exterior facade could be changed to something more futuristic. I'd like to se the PM rerouted at the front of TL away from the center, like to the faces of the surrounding buildings, similar to Minority Report or other such films. That would open up the middle walkway for something else. What about placing a glass roof over the entrance to TL that spans between Buzz and Star Tours? It could be sleek and futuristic, and harkens back to Walt's original EPCOT idea of an enclosed city.

Just some thoughts...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The PeopleMover definitely needs a bit of a speed up. The areas outside, especially the beginning straightaway should feel very whipsy. Sort of like sitting on the edge seat and kind of leaning out on the trams. The PeopleMover was supposed to be a display of transportation. It needs to feel more like you are going someplace and you are going there. Being presented as casual stroll through Tomorrowland is not transportation.

The interior tracks should be slowed down to the old slower speed. This would allow for looking at attractions and some decorations that would make the tunnels a bit more than just being a tunnel.

• :)

Just bring back rocket rods, add small maintenace holes to reverse the cars into and we're set....move the rockets ontop of club buzz and we're set...and in the place of that put a nice fountain....or somethin lol

One change I'd make is have at least two stations, maybe three.

That way, the whole point of the ride - a way to move people a relatively short distance - would be fulfilled. You could actually utilize the peoplemover as a way to navigate through and around Tomorrowland and avoid crowds as well as rest your feets.

I'd put one station at the hub entrance, one by the monorail station and one at Space Mountain.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Disney Nazi

Anything that doesn't require CM's to operate it cause there are none to spare.

Oh and something of interest because Tommorrowland is rather bland .... I should be shutting up now.
    "Lies make baby Jesus cry!"

• See you there!

The four main things I would like to see in the Peoplemover are...

1. Use the WDW motive system.

2. Bring back the Tron Speed Tunnel.

3. Cars, well, anything that looks in theme for Tomorrowland and will hold at least 4 people per car (like the old cars)

4. At least as long a ride (maybe longer) to give a nice relaxing break.

CU@DL

Andy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast