Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Why do the Tea Cups and Carousel work, yet the Golden Zephyr dosen't

Ive been thinking this for awhile now:

Imagine if Disney announced they were removing the Arthurs Carousel, Tea Cups and Dumbo. People would go crazy with complaints. Now imagine if they announced they were taking out the Golden Zephyr and King Tritons Carousel. People would be quite happy for them to go.

So why do really basic rides like the Tea Cups work, but not other things like the Zephyr. You can see Tea Cup rides in just about any theme park in the world. Theres no amazing theming or thrilling element of the Disneyland Tea Cups.

The Tea Cups are a basic carnival ride. People complain all the time that DCA is full of carnival rides. Its the same thing

Now before I get hung, I would be devasted if they took out Arthurs Carousel, Dumbo and the Tea Cups. And if they took out the Zephyr and Tritons Carousel I'd be quite pleased.

I personally think that its just what youve grown up with. Even now I'm not too keen on seeing Jack Sparrrow around the place. I'd probably cry if they build a ride based on the film version of Pirates of the Carribean, yet if they build a Mary Poppins ride id be really happy. I think its because Jack Sparrow is new and I feel he is intruding into the park. Same goes with Carsland

I wonder what would have been said on Micechat, if it existed, when Mary and Bert started making appearances around the park.

Sorry for the long read
    Last edited by ssaamm; 05-17-2011 at 11:22 AM.

• Banned User

Re: Why do the Tea Cups and Carousel work, yet the Golden Zephyr dosen't

Interesting thoughts, but I think you'll find that the Disneyland carny rides and the DCA carny rides are not of the same caliber. Certainly time plays a role in public acceptance and fondness, but in this case It is not just a matter of what we were brought up with.

The tea-cups, while mechanically little more than a carny ride, was detailed with a degree of charm, quality and whimsy completely lacking in the Zephyr. Look at the setting of the teacups: a garden tea party of a mad sort brought to larger than life with colourful giant tea cups, hanging lanterns, wrought iron fencing, and of course the marvelous planting areas surrounding it. Now look at the Zephyr. Um, hmm, not much there other than a carny ride.

Dumbo has similar details, although I think not as well done as the tea cups.

Quality classic carousels are relatively rare these days, and Disneyland's is a high quality stunning example of such an antique, and again surrounded by a wondrous area of theme and garden areas. King Triton's Carousel is an ugly construct of plastic and fiberglass I would expect to see in a mall parking lot carnival.

The DCA rides were done on the cheap, and they look it. They could be improved and given face lifts (as has been done with the former Orange Zinger) to bring them up to Disneyland quality, but no such effort has been made with the Zephyr or King Triton. They remain testaments to the idea that the public would accept a Six Flags style park from Disney.

• Keepin' it calsteady

wulfblat's got it. Dumbo and the Tea Cups don't look like generic carnival rides in the slightest. The Zephyr looks like a really nice carnival ride, but it's still a carnival ride plopped down with no relationship to anything going on around it, and not adding anything to that section of the park. Walking by the Tea Cups or Dumbo you get a feeling of people having fun. The Zephyr just sits up on its pedestal and spins around.

I actually preferred the Orange Stinger to the renovated Symphony Swings for this reason. The big orange and the buzzing bees sound effect made it a little bit special. I expect I'm in the minority, but I really liked how silly the Orange Stinger felt and the Symphony Swings are bland in comparison.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The look nicer and are surrounded by nicer buildings and nostalgia goes a long way.

Plus I also think of those rides as the first steps of the park, they were built 55 (almost 56) years ago I'd rather the Pier have 2 E ticket rides and 2 D ticket rides than the 6 c ticket rides we got and 1 E ticket (Screamin)

• Minion FOREVER!

It's all in the theming (level of detail) and what it's themed to.

Actually, I like King Triton's Carousel despite the lower level of detailing around it. But Golden Zephyr is themed to be what it is... a CA beachfront boardwalk carnival ride.... which is the same as NO theme at all.

• revolutionary waltz

The tea cups are lovely looking now, but weren't they previously little more than the cups on concrete? Yesterland has pictures. That's not to say that I want to see any of the DL rides go missing, I love them all, but I can't help but feel that there's at least some merit to the question.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chip and Dale View Post
    So why do really basic rides like the Tea Ccups work, but not other things like the Zephyr.
    One word: soul.

The original Disneyland was brimming with it. DCA had none.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

Here's the deal. You kind of have to take the Zephyr for what it is. It is based on the old seaside amusement parks. Therefore, of course there is not much too it, but when you take it in context with Paradise Bay, putting it right against the water does add a bit of theming to it. Unfortunately, it is a ride that can't opperate in the wind so it is down frequently.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I absolutely agree with what everyone has said.

What do you think people thought of the Tea Cups in 1955? Or if anyone is on here from that time, what did you think of them? In their old position (behind castle) they had little theming and were more like a carnival version. Look at TwilitWings post to see what I mean if you've never seen them like that before

I think that Kink Triton's Carousel suffers from a bad location. It is basically right at the entrance/exit to a thrill ride so it is a bad match. If it had been located closer to Jumping Jellyfish it would have fit better.

I really like the Zepher. It is actually a pretty unique attraction. If they could fix up the queue a bit and figure out how to keep it functional in light winds I would be really happy with it.
    The Mur

I'm with themur. I really like the Golden Zephyr. There's a real feel of taking off and landing on that ride more than Dumbo or Rockets or any other "flying" attraction has.
    Last edited by TodAZ1; 05-17-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Disneyland freak!

I really enjoy King Triton's Carousel from a theme perspective.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    I think that Kink Triton's Carousel suffers from a bad location. It is basically right at the entrance/exit to a thrill ride so it is a bad match. If it had been located closer to Jumping Jellyfish it would have fit better.

I really like the Zepher. It is actually a pretty unique attraction. If they could fix up the queue a bit and figure out how to keep it functional in light winds I would be really happy with it.
    I basically agree with this, the queue is the only bad part of the Zephyr. The Carousel could use a facelift but I do like the fountains around it, it would be nice if they made the fountains dance like the ones in Pixie Hollow, though.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    I agree, the location for Triton could be better. They should have put it right up against the water to give it more of the illusion of a seaside attraction. However, when looked at from behind with the carousel in front of you and the bay behind that, it does create the illusion of a seaside attraction.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Chip and Dale View Post
    I absolutely agree with what everyone has said.

What do you think people thought of the Tea Cups in 1955? Or if anyone is on here from that time, what did you think of them? In their old position (behind castle) they had little theming and were more like a carnival version. Look at TwilitWings post to see what I mean if you've never seen them like that before
    I wasn't around in 1955, but I do remember old Fantasyland and the remodel in 1983. I remember hoping that they'd do aways with the teacups. I was only about 15 or so, but even at that age I didn't think there was much to them. (And I was never a thrill ride enthusiast, so it wasn't that I was one of those "young people" who wanted only thrills.)

It was definately improved so it is now a pleasant place to take a breather and watch other people get nausiated.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast