• Curiouser and curiuser...

Talking Disneyland & Anthropology!

Last fall, I posted a thread asking for help in my anthropology research project about Disneyland. I was surprised (and delighted!) by all the enthusiastic responses I got here!

Some months later, I was asked to present my paper to the AnthroExpo at CSUN (my university). I was a bit nervous about it (I'm not exactly a "stage" person), but really excited to have the opportunity. Well, it all worked out; I can honestly say I'm proud of the result.

For those of you who participated (and even those who didn't!), you can read about it here, and then watch a video of the full presentation!

This Resident Tourist: My Big Presentation

-Kristine

And once again, a BIG thank you to all who helped my with the research for this project (see the thread here: Disneyland research project!)

• formerly very helpful

Re: Disneyland & Anthropology!

Always a pleasure to help out a fellow Matador. Glad it went well.

Presenting is good experience. Gonna go watch your video.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Nicely done and congratulations. I expect your full paper had a lot more heavy anthropology in it than your shorter presentation. I was let down as the Youtube clock counted down just as you got to your slide about how Disneyland does/does not conform to a pilgrimage site. I wanted to know more about that stuff!

• Curiouser and curiuser...

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    Nicely done and congratulations. I expect your full paper had a lot more heavy anthropology in it than your shorter presentation. I was let down as the Youtube clock counted down just as you got to your slide about how Disneyland does/does not conform to a pilgrimage site. I wanted to know more about that stuff!
    Yeah, there's a lot more info in the full paper. Unfortunately it had to be heavily condensed. Interestingly, there hasn't been a lot of research done on Disneyland from this angle; it's been well-covered in so many other aspects (global consumerism, postmodernism, folklore, etc.), but not as a pilgrimage site. Which is interesting, because I discovered so many parallels!

Still, if you pause the video at the end (like at 14:55), you can browse through some of my references for more background info. A few good sources include:

The Tourist, by Dean MacCannell

"Walt Disney World: Bounded Ritual Space and the Playful Pilgrimage Center," by Alexander Moore

Image and Pilgrimage in Christian Culture, by Victor and Edith Turner (also, Turner's From Ritual to Theatre and The Anthropology of Performance)

Also, one of my professors recently suggested Shrines and Pilgrimage in the Modern World: New Itineraries into the Sacred, by Peter Jan Margry

Hope this helps. Thanks for watching, and for your comments.
    Last edited by Scarlet Lark; 05-17-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: (added link to 14:55)

• Keepin' it calsteady

Interesting. I might take a look at one of those. I'm not an anthropologist, but I'm curious to see academic takes on Disneyland. "I go because it's fun," just doesn't cut it for them!

Also, your many references to "communitas" took me back to the days of sitting in a sociology class and trying not to snicker every time the professor talked about "anomie" or some such jargon. They just seem so made up!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Nice work Scarlet! I'm glad to see it all came together. From reaching out to fellow Micechatters to the final presentation about our beloved land.