Star Tours Soft Opening: By how much did you miss it?

Hearing on MC that ST-TAC was doing a soft opening on Friday afternoon, I braved traffic from my home in the San Fernando Valley (almost two hours with Friday gridlock) and got to the park about 7:15 p.m. - a little over an hour after the attraction was closed for the day. Hung out the entire evening hoping it might reopen, but it never did.

Saturday night, after going to a play and dinner with friends, I checked Mouse Wait on my iPhone and saw that ST-TAC was back open with only a 40 minute wait. I headed down to the park again, ducked in the gate about 11:50 p.m. and missed "last call" for the attraction by 10 - 15 minutes, according to the CM stationed out front.

Totally "star" crossed, as it were.

So, what's your ST-TAC near-miss story?

Re: Star Tours Soft Opening: By how much did you miss it?

I missed it by about 6 months...

My sister and I were the last ones to get on Saturday night. We just happened to walk by cause the wait for the Matterhorn was so long. We felt so lucky =)

My friend and I went Friday night in hopes of getting to ride, but as soon as we were on the tram I checked Mousewait and saw that it had just closed minutes prior. Luckily, we made it there on time Saturday!

Oh, I left Disneyland on Friday after attending the ST preview hearing everybody just "doubt" it'll reopen. This was 1:30. The ride reopened very shortly afterward, on my way home. The traffic I saw going the other way prevented me from turning around (I was also running out of gas).

Got up early on Saturday, and as I was driving down to the freeway, I checked Mouse Wait at a traffic light and conveniently saw that I was blocked out that day. (should've gone with Premium!) Turned around back home.

Got up early on Sunday! Actually headed down. Exited my car to reports that there will be no soft openings. Indeed, there weren't.

At least I got to ride it once, but otherwise, man, my luck just isn't great.

• Banned User

Missed it on fri., but i got four rides in on sat. I am riding it again today for the ap preview.

• Parking Lot > DCA

The first time I missed it by 30 minutes, but the next day I got right on!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Was disappointed when they decided not to do soft openings on Sunday.

I'm confused: just what exactly IS the point of doing AP previews if they soft opened it to the public anyways? Doesn't that, I dunno, kind of defeat the purpose?

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    I'm confused: just what exactly IS the point of doing AP previews if they soft opened it to the public anyways? Doesn't that, I dunno, kind of defeat the purpose?
    They shouldn't have done any contests or AP previews and just had soft openings. Doing it this way would have been the most fair to every category of guest. Even though I'm an AP I don't feel anyone should be given special treatment, especially when single day tickets are 101 dollars. I also find it distasteful that they chose to give Friday and Saturday crowds a sneak peek but didn't on Sunday because of So Cal pass holders.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 05-23-2011 at 12:46 PM.

I think the first, Friday contest was fair game. After that, if you're going to soft open, don't do this stupid preview game. The 26th, 30th and 2nd are the only days prior to open that it will be open again, and now APers, who most likely already rode in the Friday/Saturday soft openings, get a chance to ride one more time! Ooooh, exciting! (rolls eyes)

that suck. Remember soft opening subject to close at any giving time.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I also find it distasteful that they chose to give Friday and Saturday crowds a sneak peek but didn't on Sunday because of So Cal pass holders.
    Actually, WDI was giving it a final clearance of sorts as well as letting their families ride (or so we were told), but I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with it. I mean, it's not as if the CMs could have USED the experience of handling extreme crowds like they I dunno, might all summer long.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Actually, WDI was giving it a final clearance of sorts as well as letting their families ride (or so we were told), but I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with it. I mean, it's not as if the CMs could have USED the experience of handling extreme crowds like they I dunno, might all summer long.
    How convenient, they have 7 days in a week to give WDI previews and they choose the busiest day to close it. I think the whole decision was based on So-Cal passes and had little to do with final clearance. If there was any issues or potential tweaks that needed to be addressed, Disney wouldn't have soft-openings for the public to begin with.

Whatever the actual story is, it's pretty appalling. Management probably got their hands tied between the numerous AP previews/preview sweepstakes that TDA wanted, and were hungering to try it on actual guests as well. So we got this botched plan instead, which doesn't make a lick of sense.

TDA would have been much smarter to do AP previews for a shorter amount of time instead of trying to cater to every singler APer, causing a headache for the ST crew. That way they could've had their cake and ate it too.