Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Tourist

re: Tangaroa Terrace, Trader Sam's and new pool at the Disneyland Hotel

lighttragic,

Thanks for those great photos!

It looks like Tangaroa Terrace is in the same location as the old Shipyard Inn (Hook's Pointe). But I can't figure out where Trader Sam's is located.

I thought the pool area looked OK. The slides look like they would be fun.
    Last edited by chadb14; 05-26-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: typo

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Thanks for all the pics! Can't wait to dine and have a drink at these establishments lol.

I'm probably the only one but I actually like the pools and waterslides. I really don't see the problem. They're real fun, kitschy, and retro and idk to me it kinda vibes well with the new restaurants which also play with that retro kitsch. The pools look nice and nicely landscaped. Blends better with the restaurants than Neverland would.

• DLR Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kburford View Post
    ^those were my thoughts too...and then you see the pool area which is NOT like the polynesian. i liked the neverland theme; it would've been fun to expand on that idea.

no, anyone can eat at any hotel restaurants (why would they deny your money?! )
    Good point. Just wasn't sure of it was some sort of resort exclusive. Looks like I'll be spending most of my evenings at Trader Sam's next time I'm in the park
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

• behind the curtain

I agree with SoCalFan. I think the theme that ties it all together is sort of nouveau-retro. And I like it.

• waitin' to board

..looks pretty good. I'm anxious to try it out..

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
    lighttragic,

But I can't figure out where Trader Sam's is located.
    Lost Bar, I believe.
    Mike

• "I Break Things"

Re: Tangaroa Terrace, Trader Sam's and new pool at the Disneyland Hotel

As can be imagined... the various Skips past and present have been waiting patiently for Trader Sam to open his bar. I'm lucky that various friends have continually updated me throughout the course of the project. Last night was the public premiere; the fruits of their labor. My thoughts... mixed results.

The decor is amazing. There are photos of various 20's and 30's celebs... photos of past and present Skips... lots of props... LOTS of memories. You could easily spend an hour in there and still not see everything. It works on multiple levels. There is the immediate themed connection to the various attractions. There is the Disney connection for die-hard Disney fans (hidden photos of a couple famous Skips). There are also several small "tributes" to Skips. Those in charge asked a lot of questions of the JC Skips, and the answers were reflected in the overall decor. The "drink shows" are fun. I won't elaborate because I refuse to spoil it.

The drinks were pricey (hey it's Disney who's actually shocked?) but really REALLY good.

Now for the "not so great" part.

The internal bar has a capacity of 47 people. I'm told this was done in homage to the boats (approx capacity 45)... but the end result is more room for the bartender, less room for patrons. The floor plan includes 2 standing tables along either outside wall that can each seat 2 or 3 patrons, and 4 sitting tables along the connecting wall that can each sit 4 people. The bar itself is a U shape that includes attached seats. All the tables make the floor plan extremely crowded. It really hampers the experience and makes it almost impossible for patrons and servers to get past each other. If you really want to "take in the atmosphere" don't try it when the place is full.

In the off season the limited seating wouldn't be an issue. But I expect many summer nights to be a LOT like last night... full bar... no room. For anyone who remembers Lost Bar, the capacity of Sam's is a FRACTION of it. I wouldn't be shocked if the tables are eliminated in the near future. It was so bad they had a CM posted at the door counting people as they came in and out... thereby creating a large queue outside.

For anyone who was there last night, it was fun. It was great to see so many Skips past and present telling stories that usually are left unsaid. About the only thing missing was a shelf full of old boots.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-26-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fantastic photos and review LightTragic! You also just made our Monthly Newsletter with this thread! Congratulations.

Dusty
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I so can't wait to see all of this in person! I am a huge fan of tiki bars

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    Tangaroa Terrace looks like something right out of the Polynesian at Walt Disney World, which isn't a bad thing at all.
    I was at WDW in March and one day we walked around and explored the Polynesian. There actually was a restaurant there that was called Tangaroa Terrace. It is closed now, but, the building is still there and the sign is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose75 View Post
    Great pics. Love the Tangaroa Terrace, the inside shots look awesome. The outside looks so 70's but in a new sorta way.

Hate the way the pool area looks. All those UGLY handrails make it look industrial and strange.

How the hell is that pool area supposed to vibe with the new Restaurant? Time to ax whoever designed that piece of crap, it was much better the way it was.

Are we really complaining about handrails now? I'm all about theming and Disney plussing, but that seems like a bit much.

• Disneyland History Lover

Thanks for sharing these pictures. Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's look pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by bummerkit View Post
    Are we really complaining about handrails now? I'm all about theming and Disney plussing, but that seems like a bit much.
    It's more than just handrails. The entire section seems to be surrounded in inappropriately tall, ugly green fencing. If you're all for theming, then you're in luck! This area imparts a lovely a prison yard theme.

• Carbon based

A few more pics (sorry, phone camera) from inside Trader Sams pointing to some of the various backstories in there:

UP (this one is hard to see but it is the fund for 'Paradise Falls', the big empty bottle on the top shelf)

Hightower Hotel in New York reference:

Indiana Jones, with letter from Sallah too

Tiki Room (you can see the drumming idols in the back, on top of the shelves)

And of course the Jungle Cruise (Schweitzer Falls, backside of water )

And talking about the falls, they make no apologies for some of the gags (check number 5):

They really play with the bar/gag concept too

Always something interesting to look at, for instance, the clouds in the windows move

And the eyes of all masks, tikis, pilars, etc move... slowly... verrrrrry slowly so it kinds of freak you out sometimes

And of course, there are all the special effect that happens depending on the drinks you ordered (I saw one where a ship in a large bottle suddenly was weathering an epic storm and started to tear up and drown... impressive...) but picture of these would NOT do them justice (not that my picture do ANYTHING justice of course...)

I have quite a few more but I think I'll try to go back with a real camera and start to do the real fun work of figuring out the stories!

Cheers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast