Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Tangaroa Terrace, Trader Sam's and new pool at the Disneyland Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by jeremys View Post
    Help me with perspective. Is Trader Sam's replacing Hook's Pointe or is that the Terrace?

Hook's Pointe, and specifically sitting at the bar, was my favorite restaurant in Disneyland. I went there first when I was with my oldest son on a Father's Day. We didn't really have any plans, wandered in there and the only seating was two seats at the bar right in front of the grill.

It turned out to be a fortunate accident. There was a couple next to us whose son was working the grill. He was just out of culinary school and couldn't get off Father's Day so his father came to him. We had a great time talking to all of them and then with the head chef as well. That was probably at least 15 years ago before "chef's tables" became popular and now it is my preferred way to dine. Being able to talk to the chef and your fellow diners really adds to the meal.

I hope whatever replaced Hook's Pointe still has the availability to sit and talk to the chef.
    What a nice story, and it was really nicely written.

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

I just posted some of my pictures from last night as well

Brad's Disneyland blog: Trader Sam's is open for Business Part 1 Photo blog

Brad's Disneyland blog: Trader Sam's is open for Business Part 1 Photo blog

Picture of the day

More coming in Part 2
    Last edited by brad chowen; 05-26-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: missing info

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

I ate lunch at Trader Sam's this afternoon and was greatly disappointed by both the bar and the Tangaroa Terrace. Do not go with high expectations and you might enjoy your visit. Both places lacked an exciting Polynesian atmosphere. They seem poorly done for a company such as Disney. The tables, chairs, dinnerware, and decor are obviously done on the cheap. While there is a nod to an Adventureland style, the execution falls short. For example, the fabulous-sounding tiki drinks came in plain glassware, not the exciting tiki glasses or mugs you would expect. My server explained that only two of the drinks come in a special glass. Also, drink prices are not listed on the menus, a practice which I disdain. The bar is very small, holding only 7-8 tables, in addition to limited bar seating.

The food, however, was very good - for bar food. I enjoyed the BBQ pork flatbread (available at both the bar and restaurant) and I will have it again! My non-alcholic drink also tasted great, although it was not the color advertised in the menu. The bartender must have forgot the grenadine?

The worst part of my visit was the poor service atmosphere. Both places had no sense of class, whatsoever. The sophomoric behavior of the bartenders was quite loud and annoying. Their banter seemed more appropriate for Chuck-e-Cheese, and did not hit the "fun/trendy" note which was probably the goal. The servers are forced to included kitschy catch-phrases whenever they mention a certain drink or dish. Did I mention it was tacky and classless?

Overall, I would definitely stop by for a quick bite to eat if I was statying at the Hotel, but it is not worth a special trip. The Tangaroa Terrace has even less "atmosphere" than Trader Sam's, but the menu looks decent if you just want burgers, fries and salads. They advertise a dinner special, but have not begun that this week. I was hoping for an exotic dining experience on par with places such as Trader Vics (Beverly Hills) or the former Kahiki (Columbus, OH), but what I experienced was a cheap, unfulfilling, and tacky atmosphere. I realize that the goal of these venues, unfortunately, was casual and fast dining, but in my opinion, Disney missed a great opportunity to create something wonderful. I'm so sad!

• Carbon based

I would agree on Tangaroa Terrace. However, at Trader Sam, our bartenders yesterday night were fantastic and thoroughly having fun ... Your luck might depend on the shift I guess.

In fact, in the case of Trader Sam, my biggest issue as I mentioned before is that the room feels too new and too well lit, not gritty enough. Looking at the ceiling, the room in general, it looks very generic and plain wherever it hasn't be covered by the fantastic memorabilia. The outside is probably the worst offender, it could be just the outside of any Elephant Bar or some other chain... It more Polynesian at Islands for that matter.

But the little touch, the fantastic amount of backstories (I have to dig up my maraglyphic decoder and take better pics of the Indiana Jones stuff), the blink and you miss it kinda stuff (did those eyes everywhere REALLY move? Are they following me or am I just one drink to the left of paranoid now?!? ) sold it for me.

But yeah, lower the lights in there and you'll enhance atmosphere.

In fact, when some of the effects (such as the ship in a bottle) are running, the light DOES lower and the ambiance gets much better.

I'll give it time to gets its leg. Not a homerun, but a solid hitter nonetheless imho.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    And the eyes of all masks, tikis, pilars, etc move... slowly... verrrrrry slowly so it kinds of freak you out sometimes
    Is it my imagination... or does that mask named "Joe" kinda sorta resemble The Adventurers Club's creator, Imagineer Joe Rohde?
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Minion

^ It definitely does. Especially with the earrings and holes in the ears. What a neat little tribute.

• A Disney Examineer

Does the waterslides really feature a waterfall?

@buckeye
    Wow, Sam's doesn't match up with a tiki bar in Ohio? Looks like someone missed the point. The bar is an embodiment of the Jungle Cruise.... How dare Disney put in a great themed interactive experience? How dare they?? I suppose you're looking for another Lost Bar with crummy mismatched metal furniture and cruddy food? I suggest you remove the stick from the lower region of your anatomy so you can sit down and enjoy yourself next time.

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose75 View Post
    Great pics. Love the Tangaroa Terrace, the inside shots look awesome. The outside looks so 70's but in a new sorta way.

Hate the way the pool area looks. All those UGLY handrails make it look industrial and strange.

How the hell is that pool area supposed to vibe with the new Restaurant? Time to ax whoever designed that piece of crap, it was much better the way it was.
    Mmmm, I'd say you don't know how much design, handrails & fence, etc was caused by ADA or OC codes or by someone in legal. Pools are an incredible source of lawsuits.

And I actually love the retro DL Hotel look of the pool. I don't really care if they jibe with the restaurants or not. Maybe the restaurants are out of theme with the DL Hotel and pool?

I wish they had just left the old lagoon there with the waterfall, the beach with the volleyball court and dancing waters.....

• Banned User

I wrote this somewhere, cant remember which thread, but what about where the old waterfall and dancing waters use to be? Is that section open yet? Any idea what it looks like?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Are there any tributes to or from the former Adventurers Club at WDW?!??!?!?!? Seems like they might have had an item or two that they could contribute to Trader Sams and would be welcome on the west coast!!!!!!!

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

Sinking ship in a bottle is from Adventurers Club

I tried to capture it --but was late on getting the regular camera to video.
    Here is quick clip ---It seems like they upgraded it from version on you tube from Adventurers Club...
    The Pineappleman's Tiki Blog

Surprised that there's less options at the new Tangaroa Terrace than at most counter service locations in the parks. Trader Sam's looks great though.

The pool looks like a misstep to me though. I thought the Neverland Pool and its lush landscaping were perfectly fine the way they were.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast