Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Tangaroa Terrace, Trader Sam's and new pool at the Disneyland Hotel

Here are my photos from today and all the new stuff at the hotel.. Check the DCA tracker in a couple hours for updated construction photos Enjoy!

Keep reading below for more photos!
    Last edited by Dustysage; 05-26-2011 at 10:21 AM.

• Banned User

re: Tangaroa Terrace, Trader Sam's and new pool at the Disneyland Hotel

Nice intro though!

Cant wait to see the rest!

• Carbon based

Just visited the new Traders Sam bar myself and I will try to add pctures shortly. It is pretty cool that they've tried to weave in (and relate!) stories from so many different attractions in there. In no particular order, you find not only a lot of items from the Jungle Cruise (obviously) but also from the Tiki Room (included many of the Tikkis), the movie up (there's a jar for coins to go to Paradise Falls), Indiana Jones adventure (with some very cool map covered in new Maraglyphics) and even... the Tokyo Tower of Terror (there's a letter from the HighTower Hotel of New York to Trader Sam stuck into one of the corner )

Then there are the effects which are sometime very interesting, from the obvious ones tied to buying some drinks to the subtle ones like the clouds in that window on the last picture above which move ever so slightly, or all the eyes from the various dolls, idols, tiki poles, etc... which seem to follow you around the room as they turn very very slowly!

The room on the other hand seems a bit too clean, the building too new, the lights too bright... it's a bit of a contrast with the content which is awesome. But maybe the'll adjust. It just feels like you're almost in a gritty place but it's lit up like a Chili's... except when the effect plays!

Anyway, highly recommended for a visit.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Next up the Pool/slides

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

The pool/slide area was full and they were doing lifeguard testing

and last but not least a construction shot of the hotel

Give me about a hour before my dca construction shots are up

• Banned User

Wow it all looks so cool!! Thanks . I love that the restaurant is more low key, you can grab a cheap meal or a snack and just relax. Not everything there needs to be high end. And Trader Sams looks amazing! Cant wait to go now!!

The ONLY complaint I have is when you are outside at the restaurant, the pool theme just kills the vibe! I really dont like what they did with the pool (but apparantly I'm not alone on that lol) and I really wish they extended the exotic theme to the pool area or at least a luau/Hawaiian vibe with cool sculptures, sliding down a mountain similar to the Peter Pan area, maybe a shipwrecked boat, sculpted rock with a waterfall coming out it, stuff like that. I think it wouldve been great way to extend the theme to the pool and you have one big cohesive area now. Okay, taking off my imaginary imagineer hard hat off now.

Oh last thing! What about the area where the old waterfalls use to be? Is that almost complete? What does it look like over there or are walls still up? I couldnt tell from the pics.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 05-26-2011 at 12:25 AM.

• Banned User

Great pics. Love the Tangaroa Terrace, the inside shots look awesome. The outside looks so 70's but in a new sorta way.

Hate the way the pool area looks. All those UGLY handrails make it look industrial and strange.

How the hell is that pool area supposed to vibe with the new Restaurant? Time to ax whoever designed that piece of crap, it was much better the way it was.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

The pool is TERRIBLE!!! They should have kept with the Neverland theme over that!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Banned User

Agreed! At least the Neverland pool really complimented the area and was well themed. This looks like an ugly steel mess.

Apparantly the waterfall on it is suppose to be really cool at night though. So something to see I guess.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    The pool is TERRIBLE!!! They should have kept with the Neverland theme over that!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Agreed! At least the Neverland pool really complimented the area and was well themed. This looks like an ugly steel mess.
    It looks like they were trying to hard to bring back nostalgia. Pushing a concept that will only be remembered by the older crowd. I completely agree, it doesn't appeal to me and it looks forced.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Apparantly the waterfall on it is suppose to be really cool at night though. So something to see I guess.
    Thanks for the tip, at least I'll have that to check out when we visit in August.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Thats for the pictures! I look forward to spending lots of time at Trader Sam's!!!

And the pool.... yeah the concept art looked better than the actual finished product. But... I won't be using the pool so whatever.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• DLR Enthusiast

Perhaps this is a silly question, but do you need to be a hotel guest to dine at these establishments?
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

Tangaroa Terrace looks like something right out of the Polynesian at Walt Disney World, which isn't a bad thing at all.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

^those were my thoughts too...and then you see the pool area which is NOT like the polynesian. i liked the neverland theme; it would've been fun to expand on that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bamato View Post
    Perhaps this is a silly question, but do you need to be a hotel guest to dine at these establishments?
    no, anyone can eat at any hotel restaurants (why would they deny your money?! )

flower gleam & glow...

• Former Cast Member

Help me with perspective. Is Trader Sam's replacing Hook's Pointe or is that the Terrace?

Hook's Pointe, and specifically sitting at the bar, was my favorite restaurant in Disneyland. I went there first when I was with my oldest son on a Father's Day. We didn't really have any plans, wandered in there and the only seating was two seats at the bar right in front of the grill.

It turned out to be a fortunate accident. There was a couple next to us whose son was working the grill. He was just out of culinary school and couldn't get off Father's Day so his father came to him. We had a great time talking to all of them and then with the head chef as well. That was probably at least 15 years ago before "chef's tables" became popular and now it is my preferred way to dine. Being able to talk to the chef and your fellow diners really adds to the meal.

I hope whatever replaced Hook's Pointe still has the availability to sit and talk to the chef.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast