Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

• The Pumpkin King

Re: The Little Mermaid Undersea Adventure - FULL Video RIDE Through in HD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Jenny1987 View Post
    The only thing that I'm disappointed about is that they didn't add Ariel's sisters into the ride, but otherwise OHMAHGAWDCANNOTWAITTOGOONTHISONWEDNESDAY!!!!
    I wonder how people would react if Ursulas sister was in the ride lol. (Its her sister right? In the second movie?)

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    I wonder how people would react if Ursulas sister was in the ride lol. (Its her sister right? In the second movie?)
    Yep. She is her younger sister I believe. I think the voice actor that played Ursula also does her.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    Thank you.

But, but even if it is just a dark ride, it COULD have been better. But I will hold my final judgement till I ride it.
    Find me one ride at either park that can't be improved. Everything can be improved.

Matterhorn could be smoother, Splash could have better logs that don't bang back and forth during the slower moving parts, Mansion needs the hat box plus I find the pop up ghosts in the attic and graveyard pretty lame, every existing dark ride could be better from animatronics to a longer more thorough story line. Even the new Star Tours which is getting off the charts reviews could have a better story line at each planet, as well as additional 3D effects that interact with the view screen. The list could go on forever.

The key is we now have the attraction at DCA. Is it better than Pirates and HM? no. Small World? maybe. Peter Pan and Toad? quite possibly. If you like it, you ride it and make the line longer. If you don't like it and skip riding it, then the line is shorter for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
    While that may look like it I think it's safer to say that Disneyland fans, like hardcore MC fans, expect more from the resort than a tourist. Fact.

When I see things like, "I was expecting the ride to be at least 10 mins." or "There wasn't enough story", "I didn't like the projections," it makes me thing, "then what did you expect when you set your own expectations so high?" It's moreso nitpicking because you want the attraction to be the best in your own eyes. Which is why I'm not bothering on reading the reviews because many people here set themselves up for a huge dissapointment. I'm just going to go next week and see it myself, keeping in mind, it's a Fantasyland dark ride, nothing more, so don't come in expecting an underwater Haunted Mansion.
    A lot of people here suck the fun out of Disneyland with all the nit-picking.

Fact.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by readandburn View Post
    A lot of people here suck the fun out of Disneyland with all the nit-picking.

Fact.
    The nit picking are peoples little personal thoughts/opinions that an idividual doesnt like . And just because someone nit picks doesnt mean they "suck the fun out of Disneyland".
    Last edited by White Bones; 05-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by socalkdg View Post
    Find me one ride at either park that can't be improved. Everything can be improved.

Matterhorn could be smoother, Splash could have better logs that don't bang back and forth during the slower moving parts, Mansion needs the hat box plus I find the pop up ghosts in the attic and graveyard pretty lame, every existing dark ride could be better from animatronics to a longer more thorough story line. Even the new Star Tours which is getting off the charts reviews could have a better story line at each planet, as well as additional 3D effects that interact with the view screen. The list could go on forever.

The key is we now have the attraction at DCA. Is it better than Pirates and HM? no. Small World? maybe. Peter Pan and Toad? quite possibly. If you like it, you ride it and make the line longer. If you don't like it and skip riding it, then the line is shorter for the rest of us.
    Well how can I know if I like it or not if I have not been on it yet? Thats why I said i'll hold my final judgement till I ride it to experiance myself. When I ride it and don't like it, then i'll make sure to skip so you can have a shorter line.

I won't be able to ride it for at least 3 years in Florida or California, but it looks stunning on video. I'm sure that it looks even better in person.

One thing, is it just me, or does the Under the Sea scene look REALLY bright?

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude12 View Post
    One thing, is it just me, or does the Under the Sea scene look REALLY bright?
    Your not alone. A lot of people think that part is too bright. I personally think the lighting in that part is fine.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Under the Sea was very bright. I rode it twice last Sunday and was distracted by the ceiling, flood lights and exit signs. It's such an easy fix. Would be especially great if they used the same wavy, watery effect used in the first part of the ride in addition to low lighting.

Garner Holt did the AA figures and I thought they were awesome. Ariel's tail movements were very realistic and the Ursula figure was spot on. My only beef was Ariel's molded hair. From what I understand (in a video on the Disney Parks Blog), that's being worked on. The strangest thing was final scene with Triton and his lifelike hair about 20 feet away from Ariel and her bright red molded do.

I liked it a lot though. Loved that it was a "people-eater", which made for a fast line.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    But it's great to see a new dark ride at the resort where there are no toy guns or 3D glasses involved.
    X 100!

Some people also have fairly short memories. I remember when the only dark ride at DCA was Superstar Limo. I think we've come a LONG way since then.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    The animatronics aren't so bad. At least this ride is way ahead of Pooh and Monster's Inc. This is the first real 21st century dark ride and we need more of them.

*SPOILERS OF YOUTUBE VID BELOW*

There a couple of dissappointments. As Firebolt says the lighting needs to be reduced, mainly in the "Under the Sea" sequence. That kind of threw me off from the whole underwater experience. I wouldn't have mind them using more CGI instead of animatronics in that scene if it made the believability of fishes swimming around look a little more believable.

My other big disappointment is the ending: no final showdown scene. Reminds me of the super-fast-WTF-fast-forwarding of the movie they do for the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show at DHS and it looks like they filled the last scene with leftover animatronics from the "Under the Sea" sequence. A bit sloppy if you ask me.

I'm hoping maybe that Magic Kingdom's version will be altered to include a climax scene (and a better ending) since they have the room for it.

All in all it still looks great, especially for a ride in DCA.
    I agree with your observations. At first, I thought that the animatronics were a generation below the A-100 series -- but upon reflection, you don't want sudden movements underwater. The rubber exteriors of the figures adds greatly to the "suspended in water" effect. WDI did a fine job with the AA figures.

However, I cannot believe that the movie's climax scene was not used! WDI is certainly up to the task, and it would have given the attraction a WOW moment.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    I agree with your observations. At first, I thought that the animatronics were a generation below the A-100 series -- but upon reflection, you don't want sudden movements underwater. The rubber exteriors of the figures adds greatly to the "suspended in water" effect. WDI did a fine job with the AA figures.

However, I cannot believe that the movie's climax scene was not used! WDI is certainly up to the task, and it would have given the attraction a WOW moment.
    This is my biggest grip about the ride. All the other things I said negativly about it are just my little things that bother me personally. But I really wish thaey had the movie's climax, that would have been awesome.

• Wish upon a star!

I watched it even though I'll be there in a week and a half. I absolutely adored it! I think that the people who are bashing it had too high of expectations. This was never supposed to rival HM-- this was always supposed to be on par with the FantasyLand dark rides, and they certainly did a great job with doing just that-- with better technology. I think the vast, vast majority of riders on TLM have seen the movie, so there isn't need for a lot of filler. The story comes across just fine, IMHO and I think they did a great job. It was wonderful and I cannot wait to ride it when I'm there!

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Crickets View Post
    I watched it even though I'll be there in a week and a half. I absolutely adored it! I think that the people who are bashing it had too high of expectations. This was never supposed to rival HM-- this was always supposed to be on par with the FantasyLand dark rides, and they certainly did a great job with doing just that-- with better technology. I think the vast, vast majority of riders on TLM have seen the movie, so there isn't need for a lot of filler. The story comes across just fine, IMHO and I think they did a great job. It was wonderful and I cannot wait to ride it when I'm there!
    What I think is that people are taking 3 or 4 negative feedback comments about the ride as if there are hundreds of people complaining and whining about it. I have seen far more positive reviews
    than negative about this ride.

I had high expectations because yeah its still a dark ride, but its a brand new ride with more advance technology then the previous dark fantasyland rides have. The best scene I think there is in the ride is Ursula's lair, they did a fine job with that room. All the other negative stuff you hear people talking about is again, their own personal pet peeves about the ride.

• Banned User

I asked this in another thread rhetorically, but now I'm really asking. For people who DID expect it to be a HM experience, exactly what did you expect in that regard? I just dont understand what people wanted? It IS a darkride and its specifically about a Disney character and movie like 90% of those rides. All those rides that specially targets a specific animated movie are done the same way. In fact, this one sounds like it does what all those do, but takes it to another level in terms of budget and technology, so I'm not sure why people thought this one was suppose to be very different in that regard.

As for HM and POTC, those are original stories that dont even have a main storyline (well at least POTC didnt USE to have one) and they are more immersive because they are suppose to take place in the 'real world' I guess. They are not built around cartoon movie characters, so they get more freedom to do something different. And you are suppose to believe these places exist. In fact most dark rides that rival HM and POTC in other parks like Spaceship Earth, Horizons, etc in Epcot, 20,000 leagues in TDS, GMR in MGM, etc are all very immersive, massive, etc, but is suppose take place in our real world and all pretty loose in terms of story.

TLM is a fantasy cartoon. Its far from reality as you can get. The tone is very different and sticks closely to a famaliar story. But I wonder if you tried to build it as those previous rides, what would you have done differently to equal those?

If someone can point to me a Disney character driven dark ride that equals POTC, HM, Horizons, GMR, etc, then I can get what people are saying. But I cant think of any, so not sure why TLM was singled out as being up to that as well?
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 05-27-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast