Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

• curiouser and curiouser

Re: The Little Mermaid Undersea Adventure - FULL Video RIDE Through in HD!!

I'm pretty disappointed by the video. I didn't really have any expectations but I still think it looks like a badly paced ride with one or two cool effects.
    I could live with the lighting or the fact that it might be a little rushed (like most darkrides), but I have four main problems with what I saw:

1. I can't help but feel that apart from the trademark red hair it doesn't look at all like Ariel. She looks more like a disturbing hybrid between princess baby Ariel and Chucky.
    2. In the "Under the sea" scene, as you go under the arch your attention is directed up towards the characters on top of it, inevitably exposing the brightly lit factory-like ceiling and hundreds of ugly spotlights shining into your eyes.
    3. The 3-D scenes... WHY???
    4. As someone else mentioned, the story makes absolutely and positively no sense at all for those not familiar with the movie.

I hope I'll have a completely different experience once I actually ride it but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLRaddict View Post
    But people already complain about the building size. Imagine doubling it.
    Really? I never heard of that, what are they saying? Building seems fine to me. And its not like there was anything else they can put there, so I dont understand why anyone would complain about that.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah I'm sure most people could live with the building being taller for a better ride...plus it would block the hotel more..win win

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matterhorn View Post
    Mermaid may soft open tomorrow, as for Star Tours, AP previews only.

i am blocked out. what to do? help if you please lol.

• Banned User

Can't APs still buy block out day passes?

• Goofy

im too excited im just going to look at the video lol. it will be better as you as person.

• 60 Years of Magic!

I held off watching the video until I got a chance to ride it. I was able to go on the ride twice today during the soft opening.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    How short of a loop does Ursula have? It seemed like we came into it at "...Caspian Sea" and as we left the same part came up again. I really like it when the sequences have long audio loops so its different each time you ride, like what Scuttle has! Its great that he has such a long dialogue so it can be different for every ride, and for that poor ride op that has to stand near him.
    Ursula's loop is not very long. Barely long enough to get by her when the ride is running normal. The first time through the ride stopped for what seemed like a full 5 minutes. I happened to be right next to Ursula, and I heard that loop several times.

I understand what people are saying about the lighting, but it didn't really bother me. There is so much to look at in the room, why are people looking at the ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    I don't see the big deal with the finale. I think it's quite nice, a lil rushed yeah, but nothing like Snow White and it doesn't just end with some mural. It ends with three fully animated human figures waving goodbye and then the fully animated Scuttle ending his story. I really love how they added him in the end as well.
    The ending didn't bother me either. Like all of these type of rides, the story has to be condensed. You can't possibly have a set to represent every scene or location in the film. Overall I thought it was a very good attraction and I was pleased with the final result.

• Goofy

oh man that ride is awesome and very nicely done. i just could not resist. lol.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

I'm pissed that it doesn't have a loop.

Actually, I take back my harsh criticism now that I have watched the video.
    Minus a bit of a jumbled story and some lighting issues this is one beautiful attraction.
    I love the music. Made me a little emotional, Disney is always good at tugging at the heart strings and this little gem proves that WDI can still produce.

A few tweaks and this will quickly become a classic.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by CazzaCarroll View Post
    Not being able to get the resort till 2013 I decided to have a little watch and I am quite impressed,

Firstly thanks for the video, and in HD to , Sure the ride has its problems, but so does every ride and some of those problems like lighting in UTS portion can be fixed easily, but overall it deffinetly has more positive's than negatives, absolutely love all the AA's and Imagineering should deffinetly be congratulated for all their hard work and effort put into the ride.

Also if we look at the AA's at the finale that are the same as the UTS scene it is helpfull to think of them as the same characters not just left overs, because they were written in it would be a very boring party with just triton and sebastian in the water :P

Btw for anyone who was interested in TLM ride that was included on the DVD here it is -

Its not that different really they have just focused more on the music in the DCA ride than this one, which makes it a much happier brighter ride than this proposed on from the 90's.
    Thanks for posting the previsualization video. Comparing it to the finished attraction is very interesting. I can understand going with Omnimovers as opposed to Peter Pan boats (much higher rider capacity), and the ride track can also change elevation.
    But I found the previz to be the better concept with darker depictions of the characters. What happened?

• Disney Lover Supreme.

Looks like Nemo in WDW, where you face a scene in a shell seeinf all others. Look like "Shell-buggies"
    My Flickr

• Banned User

That vid was based on a ride of almost 20 years ago and it isnt based on this attraction at all. That video and ride was going to be designed for DLP back in the 90s. It doesnt hold much weight for what they did with this ride since I think completely different Imagineers worked on this one.

But yeah, I like the Peter Pan type vehicles for that ride. It wouldve added an extra something for this ride, but I'm guessing capacity issues and just plain maintenance won out.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    Thanks for posting the previsualization video. Comparing it to the finished attraction is very interesting. I can understand going with Omnimovers as opposed to Peter Pan boats (much higher rider capacity), and the ride track can also change elevation.
    But I found the previz to be the better concept with darker depictions of the characters. What happened?
    THAT IS NOT THE PREVISUALIZATION VIDEO!!! I don't know how many times that needs to be pointed out on these boards. This is a previs for a Little Mermaid attraction considered for Disneyland Paris in the 90s that never made it off the drawing board. THIS ISN'T, NOR EVER HAS BEEN, THE PREVIS VIDEO FOR THE DCA VERSION!!!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    Yeah I agree on why they changed the System but the ride as a whole feels better from this "Blue Sky version" from years ago. Seems more based around the story/music/world which to me is better than what we got....but I just went on it today (4 times) so its not like our ride is bad...just could have been even more

• Nutty about Disney parks

I dunno if it's something that videos of the ride have yet to catch or is not there at all but another thing that seems to be disappointing me is the fact that we never see Atlantica (Triton's castle) in any form or visual. That's something you would think would show in the beginning when you're underwater. We see Eric's castle several times in the ride (including the mural) but not seeing Triton's castle kinda takes away from the magic, don't it?

And I like to add my reasoning for wanting the Ursula climax isn't as much to do with story but just to experience a giant Ursula and the rush of wind you feel when she brings up all those old ships in her whirlpool would've been neat.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast