Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: The Little Mermaid Undersea Adventure - FULL Video RIDE Through in HD!!

I finally rode the attraction today. All I've seen were the disney parks blog videos showcasing some of the animatronics and the ride layout in the Blue Sky Cellar.

Overall... rather disappointed. It felt as if there were too many moments where you're not looking at anything or seeing anything interesting at all. Just tunnels and such. I also feel as if they spent too much time on big show pieces when they should have included a lot more smaller scenes. There's no reason why the ride should go from "Kiss the Girl" to "The end".

Another disappointing moment: not seeing all the weed people in Ursula's lair... that would have been an amazing visual surrounding the ride but nope.

And yah... Ariel looks really weird.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I finally rode the attraction today. All I've seen were the disney parks blog videos showcasing some of the animatronics and the ride layout in the Blue Sky Cellar.

Overall... rather disappointed. It felt as if there were too many moments where you're not looking at anything or seeing anything interesting at all. Just tunnels and such. I also feel as if they spent too much time on big show pieces when they should have included a lot more smaller scenes. There's no reason why the ride should go from "Kiss the Girl" to "The end".

Another disappointing moment: not seeing all the weed people in Ursula's lair... that would have been an amazing visual surrounding the ride but nope.

And yah... Ariel looks really weird.
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

I think that the tunnels in the attraction are excellent transitions. Each tunnel has something different in it that sets up the next scene. Like the projection of Ariel above you, which leads to Part of Your World; some fish gathering together, which leads to Under the Sea; Ariel getting legs, which leads to Kiss the Girl.

Also, the attraction was a journey through the main musical numbers of the attraction. I think Kiss the Girl works perfectly at the end. In my mind, the attraction is showing:
    1. Ariel and Eric almost fall in love (Kiss the Girl)
    2. They finally do fall in love(Kiss and Ursula's Demise scene)
    3. They get married (Finale scene)

I do agree with you on the point that the weed people would have been really neat for Ursula's lair. I think the reason they weren't included in the transition between Flotsam and Jetsom and Ursula was because I think they were trying to build anticipation with Ursula's voice and then she is finally revealed.

I think Ariel looks spot on. A perfect 3D version of a 2D cartoon. In my mind, the AAs in the attraction could not have been done better!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

After I wrote my review I went back to page 1 and watched the video. The tunnels do serve as transitions but I guess I wanted more to look at. And I suppose it IS a voyage through the music of the film but I personally wanted more of a balance between story and song... like the other Fantasyland attractions.

The AAs are really cool and I'm glad this dark ride is pushing the animatronic envelope, but I wanted more. (almost thought about breaking into song about what I wanted to see but thought better of it)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disney fan

Thanks for the video asianbma! It was wonderful to see a dark ride shot so well!

It's been said before, and I don't see how different it is compared to other Fantasyland dark rides. They've always felt truncated to me. Maybe the problem is that the division between the scenes is disproportionate? It's a common problem which I also wonder why many films and attractions are paced this way.

Nitpicks.

I think some of the problems are results of a trade-off to accommodate the omnimover system. I love omnimovers, but they limit the sense of immersion in some cases since you will always see a series of shells next to each other. The ride does climax early, and feels even more so given all the resources and space dedicated to Under the Sea.

I can't comment on the lights since I'm just watching the video, but based on the animation of the AA sea creatures, they seem on the more sedate side? It's seems more like IASW speed rather than actual dancing to an upbeat song. That's an extreme nitpick, but I couldn't help but notice that. Although I imagine that they deliberately did that because the AAs would wear out more easily the more active they are.

That said I wouldn't notice it as much if the Under the Sea seemed to take a disproportionate amount of time and space. Maybe more projections? A mist? Maybe spotlights?

The lack of a big end is almost criminal, especially since Kiss the Girl could have been so much more than just that. It might be more immersive if you actually went around Ariel and Erik, since that camera movement in the film left such a strong impact on many people. I think it could still feel intimate, but not small like a footnote.

BTW, how does it smell inside the attraction? If it smells briny. I'll be pretty happy.

I would like to know if anyone else who has rode the ride saw Mr Limpet during the Under the Sea sequence? And why is he in this ride as it is a Warner Bros movie

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

where is he in the ride? any video showing him?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    where is he in the ride? any video showing him?
    As your watching Ariel dance to Under the Sea look behind you and he is in the plants
    No I don't have video yet maybe this weekend

The ride is a great addition to DCA! but in my opinion it feels like they thought the building was bigger when they designed it, because the showscenes got smaller and smaller and it ended to abruptly. The Under The Sea portion should have been shorter, and then they shouldve added the final showdown scene right before kiss the girl. it wouldve made so much more sense then staring at that dumb mural of ursula. Its just like the end of snow white in a way
    And they lived happily ever after

I think the ride is too lit up to be called a dark ride. I recorded the ride but changed the exposure so you can see Ariel's face in the part of your world scene and make it seem more like a dark ride.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314