Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: The Little Mermaid Undersea Adventure - FULL Video RIDE Through in HD!!

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    At least we know the wicked queen died
    Bingo. Snow White successfully resolves the conflict.

Imagine if Snow White ended the same way Mermaid does: You move from Snow White eating the poison apple to the Prince kissing her with a still image of the Evil Queen falling from a cliff in the corner. What kind of balderdash is that? Better to end with a bang, than with a "WTF?"

Ursula is NOT portrayed as a villain in this ride except by Scuttle's dialogue. Problem is, this is a visual medium, SHOW IT!

Step 1: Want

Step 2: Conflict

Step 3: Conquer Conflict Step 3: ?

Step 4: Get what you want Step 4: Profit

By the way, to those commenting about the lighting being too bright; this could easily be solved with dark lights due to the overall use of bright colors in the attraction. This was done in Ursula's Lair to good effect. It is a "dark ride" after all.
    Last edited by Telpeurion; 05-26-2011 at 10:23 PM.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Telpeurion View Post
    Bingo. Snow White successfully resolves the conflict.

Imagine if Snow White ended the same way Mermaid does: You move from Snow White eating the poison apple to the Prince kissing her with a still image of the Evil Queen falling from a cliff in the corner. What kind of balderdash is that? Better to end with a bang, than with a "WTF?"

Ursula is NOT portrayed as a villain in this ride except by Scuttle's dialogue. Problem is, this is a visual medium, SHOW IT!

Step 1: Want

Step 2: Conflict

Step 3: Conquer Conflict Step 3: ?

Step 4: Get what you want Step 4: Profit

By the way, to those commenting about the lighting being too bright; this could easily be solved with dark lights due to the overall use of bright colors in the attraction. This was done in Ursula's Lair to good effect. It is a "dark ride" after all.
    *Points at bold* lmao, true true.

I agree with everything you said here. I like seeing the conflict resolved at the end. I saw that still image you were talking about in the background, I'm supprosed people aactually took notice of that because of how small and blacked out (from what I can tell on video) it is.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by JM Disneyland View Post
    Is that Bathroom Tile?!
    That was my first reaction as well when I rode in person. Maybe a "sandy beach" would have been another option.

Same could be said with the wedding scene. That has a decorated "bunker" to "elevate" the show scene up. I guess it's for the little ones to have a better view??
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 05-26-2011 at 11:36 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    By the way...When you rode it, didn't they have signs everywhere saying NO VIDEOS AND NO PHOTOGRAPHY as the ride is still in testing mode?
    I went today too and I did ask the CM out front about the restriction being lifted as it was a public preview as I had intentions to record it as well.

The CM said that the restriciton is indeed lifted for public previews. No signs regarding it was anywhere in the queue as the OP said.

So the no photography/video recording appears to be only limited to CM previews and is lifted once the general public/AP previews get underway.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Minion

Snap. Missed out on it in person then. Looked closed when I was going through earlier and my attention was generally focused on monitoring Star Tours.

Thanks for the vid.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• Infinitized!

Looks great! But I agree with other people that already rode it, has a bit of an abrupt ending - the demise of Ursula could've at least been projected on the wall.

For those of you that rode it, any hidden Mickey's? Any references to Golden Dreams?

Would be interesting to pop in the Little Mermaid DVD and check out the first incarnation of the virtual ride and compare the two.

Oh, and just a heads-up, today I learned that Little Mermaid will be the Fall 2012 Diamond Edition Blu-Ray (Cinderella is Spring 2012).

Now that I've seen this and see what the Imagineers are capable of... for phase II of the Hollywoodland makeover, evict (or re-locate) Monster's Inc, and give us a new high-tech version of the Great Movie Ride based only on Disney Live Action movies - the most popular ones from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea to newer movies like National Treasure and TRON Legacy!

• Banned User

The whole attraction is a reference to Golden Dreams, you ride it once and then never need to go again.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Telpeurion View Post
    The whole ride is a reference to Golden Dreams, you ride it once and then never need to go again.
    You are kidding right?

The Queen's demise on Snow White at DL is just as abrupt and even harder to catch. It's a brief flash. If you don't catch it, then it seems like she kills the dwarves.

It would've been nicer to have a giant Ursula, but it's fine without her demise. I watched the movie today, and in the Little Mermaid, Ursula is only giant for literally a minute and a half in the movie, and then she dies.

Perhaps a little more animation in her would have worked though. Like if she looked all pissed in the background as the ship was ramming her.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Buh View Post
    The Queen's demise on Snow White at DL is just as abrupt and even harder to catch. It's a brief flash. If you don't catch it, then it seems like she kills the dwarves.

It would've been nicer to have a giant Ursula, but it's fine without her demise. I watched the movie today, and in the Little Mermaid, Ursula is only giant for literally a minute and a half in the movie, and then she dies.

Perhaps a little more animation in her would have worked though. Like if she looked all pissed in the background as the ship was ramming her.
    Not to be rude, but that is why people would need to pay attention. Plus its not hard to miss. How can anyone miss that when there 7 seven dwarfs are in a line going upward, looking up, saying "there she is!". If anything that should indicate you to look whats in front of them. Plus the dwarfs and her are the only ones in that scene, not hard to miss. Unless you have you're eyes closed.

• What Time Taught Us

Saw the video only, but I love it. I'm kind of shocked at all the negative reception this attraction has received. I understand opinions, but... whaaaa? I wouldn't put this at Fantasyland dark ride at level at all. I mean those are great, but have you seen those? It's not Haunted Mansion level either, but it's still, in my opinion, a very, very good dark ride. I would compare it more to Small World than anything.

first, on the ending; I posted this in the Tracker thread, but I suppose it's more appropriate here:

the ending fits, because this ride is not about the movie's whole plot. Ursula's in it, but she's not necessarily a villain. in the ride, she doesn't really do anything other than live in a pretty shady cave skeleton thing. She turns Ariel into a human, Ariel finds love, and gets married. The End. If it had shifted into an Ursula ship-stabbed-by-Eric ending, wouldn't that have been much darker and inappropriate? it would have been like "hey, lady, thanks for turning me into a human and making all my dreams come true -- STAB." :P

they throw in the animation of Ursula at the very end as a shout out to the people who are familiar with the movie (i.e. everyone), but story-wise it makes much more sense to progress into Ariel waving goodbye to the sea-world. She yearned to leave, they made a good case for her to stay, but ultimately she found love beyond what they had to offer. Cue curtain.

It's not Snow White's Scary Adventures. We don't need to see the villain's demise when the villain is largely irrelevant. And that's okay.

I really enjoyed how well everything flowed. when they said it would be a series of songs from the movies, I was a little concerned, but there is actually a lot of coherency in the story telling. the focus is ONLY on Ariel, and when you disregard what you know about the other characters and story threads from the movie, her journey makes sense.

Ursula, Scuttle, Sebastian, and even Eric were really impressive AAs. The Ariels were good too, but I will admit that (beyond hair color and the tail) I don't think she looks much like the character in the movie. I mean I guess they both have faces? lol. and the hair was a bit weird. it might have been better to just stick with "real" hair because I didn't even really notice much movement anyway, from the video at least.

I love the colors. I thought the Under the Sea room was fun; however, it's really something that has to be seen in person to really judge.

I thought the projections were cleverly utilized in all their appearances.

I really liked the "entries." by that, I mean the ship, the Ursula's lair mouth thing, and the birds parting the vines. it was a nice touch, since the exact same transitions happen in the movie.

and... I think that's it. lol.

• Lion

Since this seems to be the de facto thread for reviews and observations based on the video, I'm putting my DCA tracker post here:

Just watched the full ride through of Mermaid. I'm not sure what people were expecting, but I think it's fantastic. Of course that's just going by the video (but the quality is pretty good). Anyway, my speculation is that people were SO intent on being blown away that they are completely overlooking the little details and beautiful "art" (both audio and visual) within the ride.

Spoiler
    I mean, in the very beginning alone you have a beautifully painted shipwreck that you pass through, and a gorgeous sunset behind Scuttle. Then you have the absolutely gorgeous "travel under the sea" effects along with the mystical music and the projection of Ariel and Flounder. They sold me in those first 30 seconds or so.

It has the perfect amount of whimsy. There's so many elements of the beautiful, sweeping melodies from the film. There's energy. There's just something emotional about it that is like literally no dark ride like it in the entire DLR, including Fantasyland. It reminded me a lot of some of the omnimover attractions at Epcot, and believe me, that's a very good thing. I think they squeezed more musical grandeur and diversity into this attraction than any other single attraction in the resort - PotC and HM included (and I love the music in both of those).

The cons? Too short. It's honestly amazing that they squeezed that much into that tiny building. Unfortunately, size was a limitation I don't think they could overcome. Maybe they could have stolen some real estate from the nearby area towards Corn Dog Castle. That might have helped. And the ending was only slightly iffy for me. To be honest, I found it rather fitting and appropriate.

I'm not saying people don't have a right to be displeased. But just going by the video, this attraction turned out to be far more captivating and emotionally engrossing than I expected. It's very intimate and personal, as opposed to the colder and more haphazard romps that take place in the typical "classic" Fantasyland dark rides. I really love it, and I'm really jazzed about riding it in person when I get the chance.

Just a guess, but I think people were anticipating the AA main characters so much that they simply didn't absorb everything about the ride. This was clearly more about giving you some of the color, flavor, and textures of the film than trying to "retell" the story. And to me, that's what I vastly prefer in a Disney theme park attraction. Don't retell the story of the movie. Please, don't do that. If I want the story of the film, I'll go home and watch the movie. I want an attraction like this to evoke the flair, whimsy, and drama of the film, and from a personal standpoint, they did that more than I expected.

ETA: Also, with regard to not showing Ursala's demise - they don't need it. It's a whimsical ride. Having a "death scene" is too morbid. Yes, I said it. Everyone who's seen the movie knows that Ursala gets it. There's no need to show it on the attraction. I've said this before, but you can't boil 90 minutes of film down to 6 minutes of an attraction. Leave out the stuff that doesn't contribute to the emotional tone you're trying to set. Death is too incongruent with the tone of the rest of the attraction (yes, even the Ursala scene). It works in Snow White - the entire ride is dark in tone. Mermaid is roughly equivalent in tone to Splash Mountain.
    Last edited by simba; 05-27-2011 at 12:33 AM.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    Since this seems to be the de facto thread for reviews and observations based on the video, I'm putting my DCA tracker post here:

Just watched the full ride through of Mermaid. I'm not sure what people were expecting, but I think it's fantastic. Of course that's just going by the video (but the quality is pretty good). Anyway, my speculation is that people were SO intent on being blown away that they are completely overlooking the little details and beautiful "art" (both audio and visual) within the ride.

Spoiler
    I mean, in the very beginning alone you have a beautifully painted shipwreck that you pass through, and a gorgeous sunset behind Scuttle. Then you have the absolutely gorgeous "travel under the sea" effects along with the mystical music and the projection of Ariel and Flounder. They sold me in those first 30 seconds or so.

It has the perfect amount of whimsy. There's so many elements of the beautiful, sweeping melodies from the film. There's energy. There's just something emotional about it that is like literally no dark ride like it in the entire DLR, including Fantasyland. It reminded me a lot of some of the omnimover attractions at Epcot, and believe me, that's a very good thing. I think they squeezed more musical grandeur and diversity into this attraction than any other single attraction in the resort - PotC and HM included (and I love the music in both of those).

The cons? Too short. It's honestly amazing that they squeezed that much into that tiny building. Unfortunately, size was a limitation I don't think they could overcome. Maybe they could have stolen some real estate from the nearby area towards Corn Dog Castle. That might have helped. And the ending was only slightly iffy for me. To be honest, I found it rather fitting and appropriate.

I'm not saying people don't have a right to be displeased. But just going by the video, this attraction turned out to be far more captivating and emotionally engrossing than I expected. It's very intimate and personal, as opposed to the colder and more haphazard romps that take place in the typical "classic" Fantasyland dark rides. I really love it, and I'm really jazzed about riding it in person when I get the chance.

Just a guess, but I think people were anticipating the AA main characters so much that they simply didn't absorb everything about the ride. This was clearly more about giving you some of the color, flavor, and textures of the film than trying to "retell" the story. And to me, that's what I vastly prefer in a Disney theme park attraction. Don't retell the story of the movie. Please, don't do that. If I want the story of the film, I'll go home and watch the movie. I want an attraction like this to evoke the flair, whimsy, and drama of the film, and from a personal standpoint, they did that more than I expected.
    I'll tell you what I was expecting

1. I was expecting a story, from start to finish. In Fantasy dark rides, you experiance the story along with the main character(s) or you ARE the character experiancing from their POV (Snow white is half and half on that), not watch it and thats what Nemo Messed up on.

2. For Ariel to look like Ariel

3. At least a 10-13 min ride

4. More Scenes so it makes sense

5.An EPIC fight with Giant Ursula
    , and not some cheap board cut out that isnt even animated. I would just be fine if it was even Ursula (giant) projected on the wall (see DVD) dieing (again see DVD)

6. Gave the illusion that you were really under water

Thats pretty much it. If they did all that the ride would be way better imo.

Anyways, glad you enjoyed it

• What Time Taught Us

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    I'll tell you what I was expecting

1. I was expecting a story, from start to finish. In Fantasy dark rides, you experiance the story along with the main character(s) or you ARE the character experiancing from their POV (Snow white is half and half on that), not watch it and thats what Nemo Messed up on.

2. For Ariel to look like Ariel

3. At least a 10-13 min ride

4. More Scenes so it makes sense

5.An EPIC fight with Giant Ursula
    , and not some cheap board cut out that isnt even animated. I would just be fine if it was even Ursula (giant) projected on the wall (see DVD)

6. Gave the illusion that you were really under water

Thats pretty much it. If they did all that the ride would be way better imo.

Anyways, glad you enjoyed it
    1. Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice, and Peter Pan ALL appear in the ride. if you're experiencing the story "along" with them, why not Ariel? what's the difference? Pinocchio is also third person, as is Peter Pan after the London room.

Also, Peter Pan's storyline does not make even the slightest amount of sense.

2. I agree her face is a little off, but it's not magic. it won't be perfect. use your imagination.

3. I'm bringing up Peter Pain again because it's the most celebrated Fantasyland dark ride. it's like two minutes.

4. such as? I think it makes sense just fine. it's about ARIEL. things that don't concern her need to be left out. otherwise, it would only convolute things and ultimately make much less sense.

5. I've posted my thoughts on this just up above so I won't reiterate.. I understand the desire, but it's just not a relevant scene.

6. I haven't been on it in person so I can't accurately judge but based on the video I think it looks fine. what do you suggest?

• Banned User

The ride does look better on video, but in person that "gorgeous sunset" behind Scuttle turns into 3 foot stretch of wall directly behind him. You can't perceive depth with the video, so it looks more convincing.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast