Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Would Tangaroa Terrace & Trader Sams have worked better inside the berm?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo. Or rather, it's a net loss for the resort's customers. It's a net gain for the resort, which will rake in enormously more profit with a serve-yourself quickie food outlet than it could with a full service restaurant.

Bon appetit to the guests of the Disneyland Hotel, who again are being offered nothing but the very best -- as befits their $320 per night room rate.

Speaking of value, how about that outside decor, eh?

Priceless. $20.00 a plate
    Fixed.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    And you may not like the new area and think its cheap looking, but you have to admit, its still a vast improvement than what was there before.
    Depends on what one defines as "before." For me, that time was the quarter century from 1970-1995, when I and my wife were frequent enough guests that we knew the longterm Hotel staff members by name, and vice versa.

A time when the Marina, shops, Seaports of the Pacific, waterfalls, tropical pools and numerous restaurants made what the DLH offers now a bleak and rather sad joke.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Well I agree on that! I still remember staying there as a kid and you had the Marina, the 'Atari' arcade room where me, my brother and cousin would spend about a 1-day ticket playing lol, the Jungle Cruise boats and the pools. DLH was really such a great place to stay back then, especially being so young it really did feel like another land from the parks. I still remember how they use to light the tiki torches at night and we loved that lol. We could spend hours just looking through the shops. I forgot how many there use to be. And yeah, the Monorail cafe was our favorite place. We use to go and just order the shakes and talked all night (being a teenager, that was the ONLY place to go at the time in the resort if you didnt hit the parks and didnt want the parents around.)

So I definitely agree, DLH is really a shell of its former self. But same time, its not the main game in town anymore. WIth GCH, a VERY modern and themed hotel, DTD, etc, DLH just isnt the anchor it use to be. Its not as needed in terms of actual entertainment like it was before, especially with so much right outside its door. Thats just the new reality.

That said, WHY people pay all that much for a hotel that just doesnt have the amenities it once had, your guess is as good as mine?

• Parking Lot > DCA

I think they work perfect just where they are at. I had the chance to check them out today (after riding TLM and eating lobster nachos at the Cove Bar - awesome!) and they both look great. Although Trader Sam's has the complete Adventureland feel to it, I think it works where it is at. The same goes for Tangaroa Terrace. I must say, the slides look great too. I was sad to see the falls go, as I will be when the Neverland pool leaves, but I think at the end of the day, it will all look great.

• "I Break Things"

I think what is interesting is that Disneyland had Tahitian Terrace, which did extremely well for years. It fit perfectly in Adventureland, had amazing food, and for the most part the tables were full. During the Indy makeover of Adventureland they decided to change Tahitian to Arabian cuisine. Many complained that the family atmosphere was "shattered" by the belly dancers. Many more complained about the food, or the new prices. In the end the Arabian cuisine was short lived, slowly morphing into the show we have today.

So what does WDI do? They create a new Tahitian inspired resturaunt, and a bar NAMED AFTER Trader Sam... and stick it in the hotel While I don't believe both would have fit within the current Aladdin's, I'm certain either Tangaroa or Sam's on its own would. Tangaroa would have been a "throwback" to Tahitian. Sam's would have been larger, and a reminder of the now closed Adventurer's Club minus the alcohol service.

Overall it just didn't make a lot of sense to me. I also don't understand why the decided to limit the bar to 47 people. It's in the middle of the hotel. Why create a larger line when most of your patrons are already tired from a day at the park? Service was also an issue. If they can't handle the opening crowds then I fear what Summer will be like.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• All-American

^ WDW's Polynesian has a highly successful Luau dinner show... so successful that my family wasn't able to book a reservation when we tried last week. I'm sure if Disney were to create a similar luau/dinner show in a refurbished Tahitian Terrace, with hula dancers, Samoan fire dancers, alchohol-free mai tais, and complimentary leis upon entry, it would be just as successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Depends on what one defines as "before." For me, that time was the quarter century from 1970-1995, when I and my wife were frequent enough guests that we knew the longterm Hotel staff members by name, and vice versa.

A time when the Marina, shops, Seaports of the Pacific, waterfalls, tropical pools and numerous restaurants made what the DLH offers now a bleak and rather sad joke.

I agree completely. It's not a "vast improvement" by any means. I would take the pre-2000 Disneyland Hotel over anything they've done since. It's too bad that not everyone was fortunate enough to have experienced St. Preston's Yukon Saloon, Monorail Cafe, Mazie's Pantry, Villa Verde/Stromboli's and other wonderful places from Disneyland Hotel's heyday.

Trader Sam's is nice, but Tangaroa Terrace??? C'mon, Whitewater Snacks is fine dining by comparison.

• Unhelpful User

I am shocked people are actually defending what the Disneyland Hotel used to be like! I understand nostalgia, but from a practical standpoint, it was a complete embarrassment. Dated, tacky, just awful. Even Disneylands "flagship resort", the GCH, is not very impressive. No hotels at Disneyland can really hold a candle to many of the WDW hotels, but I do think that this renovation is a vast improvement to the DLH.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Emarc182 View Post
    I am shocked people are actually defending what the Disneyland Hotel used to be like! I understand nostalgia, but from a practical standpoint, it was a complete embarrassment. Dated, tacky, just awful. Even Disneylands "flagship resort", the GCH, is not very impressive. No hotels at Disneyland can really hold a candle to many of the WDW hotels, but I do think that this renovation is a vast improvement to the DLH.
    No dont get me wrong, I'm not defending it in the sense all that stuff should be there today. I think what I and others are saying is there was a time DLH was THE entertainment center to go to when you left DL. Of course it had to be, it was the only other official place to go to when you left the park. I think while others can like the renovation, and I do for the most part, it still couldve been more, a LOT more! Growing up, DLH was a place you couldve spent all day as a kid. We use to stay there every summer, from when I was 11 through 17 years old. I spent a lot of my teenage years in that hotel and every year I loved it because it DID feel like an extension of the park.

But I look at it today and what is there for kids to do? No arcade, no paddleboats, no kids club (although I guess GCH has that now), etc. At night as cheesy as it was we loved the Dancing Waters show. Sure DCA has somewhat improved on it lol, but at least there was some night time entertainment for the hotel. And it use to be packed too!

But as I said, DLH is not the main draw anymore, thats become the real issue. The company has created DTD to be the new nightlife and entertainment. Its not as needed anymore at DLH, so I cant really be too upset about it. I'm happy they are at least rennovating the place and making it look like it fits in the 21st century now. But its not something I would pay $300 a night for either. Back when I DID use to go, it really felt like it was worth paying. Now other than having access to the pool, there is really no reason to pay that. I rather just pay and stay at GCH for a couple more dollars that has better facilities, a killer lobby, more modern and even closer to the parks. But I do applaud them for realizing DLH was becoming a dinosaur and making it a lot more appealing than before even if its still a shell of its old self.

• Resident of the Caldera

The Grand Californian can hold its own against ANY of the hotels in Walt Disney World, and there are only a few to which it can be compared. I find it superior to any hotel I've stayed in at WDW and you can't beat the location, service, or ambience. The Storyteller's Cafe is also superior to any of the hotel restaurants of the same type in any WDW hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I know the immediate reaction the "old timers" had to the announcement of Tangaroa Terrace was "Hey they're bringing the Tahitian back!". I also know many of us have begged and pleaded for an Adventurer's Club to be built within Disneyland. On a small scale, Sam's and Tangaroa fill that void. However here's the question; Do you like the placement at the Hotel, or would these establishments be better suited to an Adventureland placement?
    Hey tech,

I really appreciate your insight to the park, first of all, and I'm fully in the "in the park" crowd. Aladin's Oasis is a ghost town facade and the space is woefully underutilized. I think an Adventurer's Club would be fantastic back in the old Tahitian Terrace space and, though I wouldn't advocate alcohol being served in Disneyland, I think a non-alcoholic bar with interesting juice concoctions and smoothies unique to Disneyland would tie in nice at that location, also. Great post idea.

• Banned User

^^And thats fine! But I wouldnt move a REAL bar like Trader's Sams over to DL for it. I dont see the point at all. Just create something else for the park. But dont take away a cool functioning bar that can stay open past midnight and serve actual tiki drinks. And yeah business wise, you will out sell alcoholic drinks 3-1 then anything else. They see how sucessful places like DCA, Grand Bar, etc does with their alcohol tabs, so it wouldnt nearly do the kind of business these other places do outside of DL. Talk about a net loss.

But sure, something else that can fit there, why not? And I've never even been in Aladdins Oasis to this day, so I have no problem if they got rid of it.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 05-29-2011 at 06:37 PM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Plus, Hooke's Pointe was never particularly busy (nor was the Japanese restaurant at Paradise Pier).
    If it was even open. Too often it was operated just a few nights a week, at least out of peak times. So is it really a loss when they can now run a quick service (or a more real one - Croc's Bites was so minor) every night instead of having a shuttered facility 3-4 nights per week out of peak periods?

Hooke's Pointe was a place for a great meal, but I can see why it was sacrificed for a quick service. The resort can still function on its two sit-downs...but it is hard to be a "top resort" at those prices without a counter service option (something the Paradise still lacks in my opinion).

Can't say that Paradise Pier resort couldn't use a snazzy sit down for dinner though.

• "I Break Things"

I never really knew the old DL Hotel but I have great memories of Tahitian as a kid. Every time I see the Aladdin show it has less and less people. Even with the barkers outside it seems many have forgotten Aladdin. I know a new food location would be difficult as the old kitchen was removed (unless they put it back in the past couple years). Tiki's repair shop also took a section of the backstage area and at the times there were plans for storage and offices.

I do like the idea of a smoothie bar but I fear the close proximity to Tiki's Juice Bar would possibly kill either and or both locations. I honestly think the answer would have been an Adventurer's Club style attraction/bar/show... but instead they built Sam's at the Hotel. Inside Sam's is great. Outside it immediately clashes with the pool it overlooks.

I just find it ironic that they could use this in the park, and instead they built it at the hotel.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

^^Honestly I do think its the alcohol ban which is why they probably wouldnt put something like that in DL. If that wasnt the case, I could see them doing it.

I never been to Adventure's Club, but I assume that place had alcohol as well. Remember they couldve built that at MK, but it was in DTD and I assume it was for the very same reason.

But agreed with two of your other points. I think its waaaay too small, 'homage' or not. It seem a little short sighted to build a bar that obviously would appeal not only to hotel guests but day visitors. I can hear the complaints now over who should have 'dibs' on it. But the space shouldve been twice as big easily. I knew it would be small though once I heard it was going into the same building as the restaurant the concept art showed a very small area basically. But was surprised it was still that small.

And secondly, yeah the view from the pool sucks! It kills all ambiance its trying to achive when the second you look over and see the steel, sterile pool area. I still dont understand why they wouldnt make this entire area a little more cohesive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast