Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Unhelpful User

Re: Would Tangaroa Terrace & Trader Sams have worked better inside the berm?

I guess we agree to disagree then. The Grand Californian is not nearly as good as The Grand Floridian, The Wilderness Lodge, The Boardwalk Inn, The Yacht Club or the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Emarc182 View Post
    I guess we agree to disagree then. The Grand Californian is not nearly as good as The Grand Floridian, The Wilderness Lodge, The Boardwalk Inn, The Yacht Club or the Animal Kingdom Lodge.
    Not having been to WDW, and not having recently stayed at GCH or DLH I can't really toss an opinion in here either way. What I CAN say is that Florida was designed, and eventually evolved into, a true resort destination. It is a vacationer's "home away from home" and due to that the hotels to my knowledge are held to really high standards. DL, while a fun day trip, really isn't in that league. They tried to make it a 2 day stop with DCA... but it isn't there yet. The hotels, while "nice" have a lot of cheaper competition and the vacationers aren't on DL property nearly as long.

DIP always recommended staying at the Hilton out in Huntington Beach. Sure it was 30+ minutes away... but car rentals are cheap and Disneyland isn't more then a day trip. Most come to see various destinations within California (beach for example) but only DL is "on property".
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    But agreed with two of your other points. I think its waaaay too small, 'homage' or not. It seem a little short sighted to build a bar that obviously would appeal not only to hotel guests but day visitors. I can hear the complaints now over who should have 'dibs' on it. But the space shouldve been twice as big easily. I knew it would be small though once I heard it was going into the same building as the restaurant the concept art showed a very small area basically. But was surprised it was still that small.
    I don't buy the argument that the bar's limited capacity is an homage to anything (the numbers - 45 vs. 47 - don't even match); they've simply squeezed in two different concepts into a one-concept infrastructure. More than the minimal capacity of the bar, however, I'm stunned by the very limited indoor seating space of the fast food counter next door.

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by Emarc182 View Post
    Agreed.
    I think GCH has some very nice common areas but the room are somewhat of a let down (yes, even the concierge level suites imho). It's all relative of course and it is still a premium hotel for Anaheim, 4 star in fact (a concierge friend keeps telling me it won't get a 5 star ratings unless it gets tennis, golf or something like that to increase the resort option). Note that it is still the only one with a SPA (Mandara, very nice and doing good business) and new DLH will *not* have a new spa...

Now, back to the WDW resort you mention, even some like Polynesian or Contemporary could go on that list because of the massive Seven Seas Lagoon and some of the unique options it provides, the wide open expanses they offer, etc.

Ok, done, this is not a hotel comparison thread so all of this is OT.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by surffnutt3000 View Post
    I don't buy the argument that the bar's limited capacity is an homage to anything (the numbers - 45 vs. 47 - don't even match); they've simply squeezed in two different concepts into a one-concept infrastructure. More than the minimal capacity of the bar, however, I'm stunned by the very limited indoor seating space of the fast food counter next door.
    Hey dont kill the messenger lol. I'm only reporting what I heard. But yeah I can see that as well. It seem like they decided it would be one building from the get go and they decided to squeeze in both and the bar was going to be small regardless since there is only so much space. Eitherway its EXTREMELY short sighted! Again look at the Grand bar at GCH on a busy weekend, that place is PACKED and it sounds like its at least 2 times bigger. This sounds like a great after hour place to hit when the parks close, but not if 200 other people have the same idea. On top of that, I thought since the restaurant and bar are connected, you would be able to order drinks from the bar with your meal. Apparantly not! So you either have to choose which one you want to do. It seems like since the bar is so cramped, they would make it a way you can at least order some drinks with your meal at the restaurant.

I was VERY excited about this bar, but now hearing how small it is my excitement has dwindled greatly for it. I dont like the idea I have to wait 30+ minutes to get in and then being swamped with people when I'm in there. I been in MANY of those bars worldwide lol, never fun!

• Carbon based

On topic reply: I'd love to see something GOOD where Aladdin currently sit (and Aladdin is still my favorite Disney animated so it pains me to admit that )

I don't think Trader Sam's fit as it is though: if you look, it is a modern building dressed with Sam's memorabilia (that's the way I see it of course.) Adventureland is all about being in the real jungle I think...

I would love a "true" Hole in the wall dive bar from the Jungle there, or a larger well themed restaurant option but I think it lacks space.

So, I love the concept of your idea but I don't think TS would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I was VERY excited about this bar, but now hearing how small it is my excitement has dwindled greatly for it. I dont like the idea I have to wait 30+ minutes to get in and then being swamped with people when I'm in there. I been in MANY of those bars worldwide lol, never fun!
    I think you'll still like the place, as they've done a great job with atmosphere. All I've done though is given it one quick visit, and that took place just before noon. The Hearthstone Lounge across the street, as you hinted, is a great gathering spot for a nightcap. The indoor/outdoor nature of the Lost Bar also made it conducive to handling larger crowds. Trader Sam's, by comparison, is limited to its 40-ish capacity, as the outdoor patio appears to be there for Tangaroa Terrace. (TT "opens up" to the patio; TS doesn't.)

Perfect world, they would have converted the former Hook's Pointe into a single, but multi-use, location. It would have been a casual (but full-service) restaurant for breakfast, restaurant and bar during lunch/dinner hours, with the entire facility converted to expanded bar once nightly dinner service concluded.

• Banned User

Adventureland is a tight squeeze. I would, in a perfect world, love to see it in in a bigger Adventureland, something like Hungry Bear but Jungle style and overlooking Jungle Cruise. I like it at the Hotel too tho, Its a nice out-of-the-berm oasis of Adventureland without having to be in the park, plus they can serve booze lol

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    It's still a net loss. I'm really surprised that the DL Hotel Imagineers ignored the cries for a family style sit down restaurant.
    They didn't. Those "cries" were small in number. I'm not permitted to go into specifics, but there was a ton of research done on this subject with guests. Guests were much more interested in the "fast casual" sit down dining location than they were a full service dining locations. The Tangaroa Terrace was one of the results of that research, from the type of service to the menu items. Put simply, it's a direct result of copious guest input.
    A replacement for the old Monorail Cafe has been continually asked for, ever since construction began for DCA.
    I remember the Monorail Cafe fondly. I ate there often. But I also remember it never being particularly busy. And this was before all the eatery choices at DTD.
    Oh, and not to mention the loss of the additional shopping/game area, and themed mini Jungle Cruise boat area (and of course multilevel waterfall/garden area, and the loss of the Koi pond, and old water show area) Too damn much was taken away with this remodel.
    All of which sucked, IMO. Yes, I'm even saying that about the waterfalls. They sucked. There, I said it. I know there are a lot of people who treated the waterfalls as a sacred relic, but I was never one of those folks. They were a great make out spot in high school, and that's about it. The configuration of the area is, IMO, much better now than it was before.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I know the immediate reaction the "old timers" had to the announcement of Tangaroa Terrace was "Hey they're bringing the Tahitian back!". I also know many of us have begged and pleaded for an Adventurer's Club to be built within Disneyland. On a small scale, Sam's and Tangaroa fill that void. However here's the question; Do you like the placement at the Hotel, or would these establishments be better suited to an Adventureland placement?
    1. "...would these establishments be better suited to an Adventureland placement?" NO. The DLH needs all the help it can get.

2. There is simply no room in Adventureland to do this. I've never been to the Adventurer's Club in WDW .. but I have seen pics of it's enormous size .. and there's simply no way they could fit it in.

3. If they tried a direct transplant of Tangaroa Terrace into Disneyland ... I would hate it .. as "T.T." is MINIMALISTIC! Aside from a few hanging pictures .. and the light fixtures ... it's skimpy on the detail. Minimalism does not belong in a Disney park. It's all about the opposite - Richly themed, richly decorated areas. Not bare walls!

I do, though, hope this sparks an interest in Polynesian offerings .. once again .. and revisit "Tahitian Terrace" .. and reopen it, in it's original location. Complete with the luau show ... singers, hula dancers, torch dances, etc. Because the Arabian theming is somewhat abandoned now .. especially with Aladdin's Oasis .. just sitting there shuttered ........ If they are not going to re-invigorate the Adventureland Arabian theme .. then restore what they once had!

Heres my take on it. I am not an APer and I don't live anywhere near CA. If I'm ever in the Los Angeles/Anaheim area, I'll be able to eat there without paying admission. I'm happy about that.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

No Alcohol inside the parks (Other than Club 33 ) is a good thing.....
    The drunks have to walk all the way from the Dsneyland hotel and find their way back into the parks before falling into the rivers of the Jungle Cruise....

PS. Love Tiki and the new Tiki Bar it rocks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123