Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Infinitized!

And now for the next great dark ride at the Disneyland Resort...

So now that Little Mermaid is here, and Radiator Springs Racers, albiet a darkride/E-Ticket hybrid is coming next year...

What do you think should be the next dark ride at the resort?

I still think DCA needs 1 or 2 more. And I still think a relocation of Monsters Inc. is in order as it does not fit thematically where it currently sits. Hollywoodland is ripe to get a new version of The Great Movie ride, but completely re-designed from it's Florida counterpart. Here's my vision...

Call it The Great Movie Ride: Disney Legacy
    Featuring scenes only from Disney's live-action library (maybe including some Touchstone movies). Fill it with elaborate pyro and water effects - depending on the scenes from the movies used. The ride would maybe go something like this...
    Scene 1: Riders com face to face with a famous Disney pirate - no, not Jack Sparrow - Long John Silver. Would be great to see a good animatronic sculpted accurately to Robert Newton, and to hear his voice.
    Transition scene - maybe a seaside cave with storm sounds coming from an open ocean scene...
    Scene 2: The Nautilus, Ned Land, and the giant squid! Use some elaborate water effects here.
    Scene 3: featuring Davey Crockett. Not sure if to have him at the Alamo or a scen from River Pirates
    Scene 4: Darby O'Gill and the Little People maybe? Make the Leprechauns full size, but put a giant set of feet beside them that belong to Darby.
    Scene 5: For uniqueness, since the movie was shot in black and white, have this scene in black and white - Fred MacMurray flying his Model T.
    Scene 5: Mary Poppins of course!
    Scene 6: Either Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Witch Mountain, Apple Dumpling Gang, or Pete's Dragon
    Scene 7: The Black Hole - Maximillian meat grinding Norman Bates... or the giant fireball ripping thru the ship.
    Scene 8: Dragonslayer - Peter MacNicol against a big dragon. Use some great pyro effects in this scene
    Scene 9: TRON & TRON Legacy - A nod to the old lightcycle tunnel on the Peoplemover maybe? Need an appearance by the Dude of course.
    Scene 10: The Rocketeer - It's California Adventure so Cliff Secord is automatically in this attraction.
    Scene 11: National Treasure franchise - Ben Gates and family overlooking a giant room full of treasure? Look, it's a giant green man.
    Scene 12: Enchanted - one of the musical numbers

As I said in the first scene description - acurate sculpts of the actors' faces would be needed to really be a high-point of this ride, unlike Indiana Jones.

As fot transition scenes for the earlier movies, would be cool to include clips featuring Walt when he was promoting the movies.

Additional scenes: maybe one based on Dick Tracy since it was originally supposed to have an attraction in DCA. Maybe Who Framed Roger Rabbit perhaps?

Since this attraction would require a big foot print, a multi-level building (maybe 3 stories) could be utilized - with ride vehicles making their way up and down between levels. Make it more kinetic than your average 1-story dark ride.

As for the ride vehicle - come up with something new, like Harry Potter in Florida. have it go faster in the transition scenes, slower in the show scenes, and make the vehicles interact with the scenes. As for capacity, 6 to 8 people maybe?

I know I'm not the only one that has brought it up countless of times that the park could use a new version of the Great Movie Ride, but this is how I envision it to be. If they come up with something like this, it could be DCA's much needed dark-ride/animatronic/E-ticket.

PS: Notice I didn't include Jack Sparrow? He has his own ride.

• Future Imagineer

Re: And now for the next great dark ride at the Disneyland Resort...

I don't know why everyone keeps pushing for a Great Movie Ride. I think it should stay unique to DHS.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by DLRaddict View Post
    I don't know why everyone keeps pushing for a Great Movie Ride. I think it should stay unique to DHS.
    Same thing could be said for Tower of Terror, but that didn't happen.

I know there is no real space for it, but an Aladdin dark ride in Adventureland would be cool. The current Aladdin Oasis could serve as the entrance and queue. Guests would ride on flying carpets using some sort of ride system that makes you feel like you are flying like in Peter Pan. The problem is there really is no room between the back of Main Street's west side and The Jungle Cruise, unless they could work out a 2 story show building to squeeze it all in.

Moi

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I think what you describe would be great, Barbossa, perhaps coupled with a preshow/museum type exhibit about history of California's film industry and the movies. I'd love to see the Rocketeer and 20000 Leagues have a presence in the park.

As for me, I think the Maliboomer area and plot of land behind the coaster tracks/small bit of the restaurant area should be connected if at all feasible for a "spookhouse" type ride featuring the Mad Doctor and early Silly Symphonies/Mickey cartoon type characters in a recreation of the typical seaside pier 'haunted house' attraction: a laboratory, creepy jungle and swamp, skeleton dance segment in a cemetery, cave with waterfalls, etc. It could also use the 'mad Mickey' character from Runaway Brain, perhaps...something more wacky rather than scary, but a traditional dark ride with Disney styled take on the typical haunted house/ghost train/laff in the dark attraction.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    As for me, I think the Maliboomer area and plot of land behind the coaster tracks/small bit of the restaurant area should be connected if at all feasible for a "spookhouse" type ride featuring the Mad Doctor and early Silly Symphonies/Mickey cartoon type characters in a recreation of the typical seaside pier 'haunted house' attraction: a laboratory, creepy jungle and swamp, skeleton dance segment in a cemetery, cave with waterfalls, etc. It could also use the 'mad Mickey' character from Runaway Brain, perhaps...something more wacky rather than scary, but a traditional dark ride with Disney styled take on the typical haunted house/ghost train/laff in the dark attraction.
    For better placemaking, this is where I'd like to see Mike and Sulley relocated to, and let the monsters from Monsters Inc put on a new show in a spook house attraction.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Same thing could be said for Tower of Terror, but that didn't happen.
    Yes, but in my mind those are two very different scenarios. Great Movie Ride is an elaborate dark ride through the movies which fits the theme of DHS. While TOT can fit in at both parks.

• The Pumpkin King

Another classic Disney cartoon film.

• Minion

I like your idea, but Ive got more of a chance of growing six eyeballs right now, then them actually building it.

But if they announced this tomorrow, I'd be quite happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Czar View Post
    I know there is no real space for it, but an Aladdin dark ride in Adventureland would be cool. The current Aladdin Oasis could serve as the entrance and queue. Guests would ride on flying carpets using some sort of ride system that makes you feel like you are flying like in Peter Pan. The problem is there really is no room between the back of Main Street's west side and The Jungle Cruise, unless they could work out a 2 story show building to squeeze it all in.

Moi
    I would freaking LOVE a ride like this anywhere in the park.

I really wish they would do one focused solely Mary Poppins. It is such a classic film that, in my mind, has stood the test of time and deserves recognition in the Parks. I know there have been many Micechat Imagineering threads on this, so I won't try to compete with any of those. I envision it named "Mary Poppins' Jolly Holiday". My dream would be for them to open a dark ride to coincide with the film's 50th anniversary in 2014.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoom View Post
    I really wish they would do one focused solely Mary Poppins. It is such a classic film that, in my mind, has stood the test of time and deserves recognition in the Parks. I know there have been many Micechat Imagineering threads on this, so I won't try to compete with any of those. I envision it named "Mary Poppins' Jolly Holiday". My dream would be for them to open a dark ride to coincide with the film's 50th anniversary in 2014.
    Know whats funny? I have had the VHS movie of it (still do) since I was little and still never seen it.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    Know whats funny? I have had the VHS movie of it (still do) since I was little and still never seen it.
    Really, you have to watch it. It is truly a classic.

• Senior Minion

I'm with DLRaddict, I have no desire for a GMR at DCA and wonder why so many people want one. I don't know about the all Disney idea either, there was a reason that Disney chose to use MGM movies, Disney's live action roster, outside of Mary and a couple others, just isn't that compelling. Plus, for as nice of a ride that GMR is in terms of the size of the sets and AA's, having randomly connected scenes just doesn't really make for that great of an experience. I don't know, it's really not one of my favorite attractions.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Oh my gosh, how could you never have seen Mary Poppins? It's one of my favorite movies, you definitely need to watch it.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast