Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Candlelight FYI

• the F.O.D. solution.

Candlelight FYI

Town Square will be turned into a "roundabout" during the event. Traffic will move counter-clockwise out the tunnel near City Hall, around the Train Station, then back in thru the tunnel near the Bank, then up Main St for a left turn at the Market House and back down Main St on the other side of the street toward City Hall.

If you don't want to get stuck in the traffic and aren't interested in seeing the show, avoid the Main St/Town Square area. Please cooperate with the cast and be patient with other guests.

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Candlelight FYI

Thanks

• Defeats the Huns

Hopefully it's going to go smoothly for all the CMs working on those days. It's going to be SOOO crowded on those days! Good luck to all those who are braving the crowds on Sat and Sun!!

• The one, the only...

Any suggestions on the best place to view?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• no flash photography...

it was a madhouse last year. good luck to whoever is going....

• Prefect

Blog Entries

i'd love some suggestions on viewing. i'm planning on going sunday.

who else is planning on going sunday?
    <o>

• no flash photography...

apparently if you are trying to leave the park while it's going on the lines basically stop and the cm's are screaming to not watch the show and keep walking, but you can't keep walking, because everyone is stopped....I'm not sure the best place to watch...maybe if you can get one of the seats.....I knew it would be bad. It was very crowded during the day...so we went to dca and came back in via the monorail...my parenst were tryign to leave when the show was going on. The were highly annoyed with all the screaming cm's. The next day we mentioned it to another cm and who was taking me to first aid and he said they had new cm's working that night and they had so many complaints they pulled them ...but then the show was canceled for sunday and we were all very happy...LOL

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DCACM
    Town Square will be turned into a "roundabout" during the event. Traffic will move counter-clockwise out the tunnel near City Hall, around the Train Station, then back in thru the tunnel near the Bank, then up Main St for a left turn at the Market House and back down Main St on the other side of the street toward City Hall.
    Will you be standing on top of the tree directing traffic?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick
    i'd love some suggestions on viewing. i'm planning on going sunday.

who else is planning on going sunday?
    I'm going on Sunday.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Thumbs down Re: Candlelight FYI

I'm glad I found this thread as the other threads touting how nice the show was really aren't the appropriate place for this. I, for one, was extremely annoyed by this show. The only place to view it from was the reserved seating in the center and the packed, standing room only areas by the firehouse and the Steamboat Willy mural. Why they cleared out Main Street and pushed everyone else onto the sidewalks is beyond me. Add to that a lot of people on Sunday decided to leave during the first show because of all the closed rides. The train, Jungle Cruise and Rockets were intentionally closed and Indy was unintentionally closed. It took us over a half-hour to get down Main Street and the P-lot trams were packed once we got out. We couldn't use the train to get out - it was closed. The Monorail has such poor capacity that it hasn't been a decent exit route in years.

Here's an idea, why not find a better place to have the show? It's not like they don't have a giant amphatheater (Snow White) that would have allowed a lot more people to see the show without making everyone else miserable. Here's another great idea, hold the processional when the park is open but wait until the park closes to hold the show - you couldn't really see it if you didn't have reserved seats anyway. At the very least they could have warned you when you entered the park as to just what was happening and how to avoid it. We even checked when leaving the gate - the daily schedule of events said NOTHING about the processional and the people setting it up didn't have much to say when we went by it on our way in (we asked - it looked like a private event to us).

Don't get me wrong, I thought the processional was wonderful and the show itself I'm sure was very nice (if you had a reserved seat that is). The location and the crowd control was some of the worst I've ever seen at DL though - a LOUSY idea! It's hard to believe that this isn't the first year they've done this...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy

Here's an idea, why not find a better place to have the show? It's not like they don't have a giant amphatheater (Snow White) that would have allowed a lot more people to see the show without making everyone else miserable. Here's another great idea, hold the processional when the park is open but wait until the park closes to hold the show - you couldn't really see it if you didn't have reserved seats anyway. At the very least they could have warned you when you entered the park as to just what was happening and how to avoid it. We even checked when leaving the gate - the daily schedule of events said NOTHING about the processional and the people setting it up didn't have much to say when we went by it on our way in (we asked - it looked like a private event to us).

Don't get me wrong, I thought the processional was wonderful and the show itself I'm sure was very nice (if you had a reserved seat that is). The location and the crowd control was some of the worst I've ever seen at DL though - a LOUSY idea! It's hard to believe that this isn't the first year they've done this...
    They tried the show in the Fantasyland theater for a few years, but the effect was not quite the same. I believe they may have moved it due to the outcry of people who enjoyed in on Mainstreet and the fact that Snow White is continuing to play there over the holidays. (That's an official guess)

But good points on giving people a heads up as they enter the park. Maybe they are trying to down play the event as to avoid larger crowds trying to view the show. But it really isn't fair to the guests to leave them in the dark on one of the busiest and craziest days of the year. At the very least, they should get a warning to not try to exit or enter the park during certain hours....

• the F.O.D. solution.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    apparently if you are trying to leave the park while it's going on the lines basically stop and the cm's are screaming to not watch the show and keep walking, but you can't keep walking, because everyone is stopped....I'm not sure the best place to watch...maybe if you can get one of the seats.....I knew it would be bad. It was very crowded during the day...so we went to dca and came back in via the monorail...my parenst were tryign to leave when the show was going on. The were highly annoyed with all the screaming cm's. The next day we mentioned it to another cm and who was taking me to first aid and he said they had new cm's working that night and they had so many complaints they pulled them ...but then the show was canceled for sunday and we were all very happy...LOL
    Just wanted to clarify that you were speaking about last year's Candlelight, not this year's.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I was one of those Priority Seating, at $60.00 a person, it was well worth the 3rd row seat (from Dick) You do have to get what you pay for!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• the F.O.D. solution.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy
    The only place to view it from was the reserved seating in the center and the packed, standing room only areas by the firehouse and the Steamboat Willy mural. Why they cleared out Main Street and pushed everyone else onto the sidewalks is beyond me. Add to that a lot of people on Sunday decided to leave during the first show because of all the closed rides. The train, Jungle Cruise and Rockets were intentionally closed and Indy was unintentionally closed. It took us over a half-hour to get down Main Street and the P-lot trams were packed once we got out. We couldn't use the train to get out - it was closed. The Monorail has such poor capacity that it hasn't been a decent exit route in years.

A few answers for you:
    * Various attractions and stores had to be closed to reduce the noise impact on the show.
    * Candlelight is not advertised or mentioned on any of the guides or schedules because it is not a (for varous reasons) park event...just happens to take place in the park.
    * Main Street was closed to be used as an exit for those watching the show, and also a queue for those waiting for the next show.
    * The show has taken pllace in Town Square since 1958with the exception of a couple preformances in the Fantasyland Theater -met with much outcry and disappointment to the fans- in the dark Pressler/Harriss era. A lot of the show's magic and charm would be lost if moved to the Hyperion or FLand Theater.

That said, I agree that the event should be held after park hours or at least extended to a second weekend with open seating.

I know the "roundabout" and guest control was difficult and annoying, but imagine the flow of traffic without it. Considering the parameters they had to work within, and with what little space Town Square affords, I think the cast did a fine job in keeping some sort of order and flow.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Five members of my family went on Sunday, and we did not have pre-arranged seating. We had no problem whatsoever, and didn't have to wait nearly as long as I had anticipated. We had an excellent view, and found that the traffic and crowd control worked wonderfully (two 'teams' of family members even went after food and drink and had no complaints at all).

This show is a Disneyland tradition nearly as old as the park itself, and considering the positive comments they receive on its behalf I hope they never try to move it again. Its worked in its present location for nearly half a century.

My advice to "lumpy": next year you should actually give this amazing presentation a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast