Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Pumpkin King

Wink How come Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is the only Fantasyland ride to have "Cardboard" ......

Objects and Characters. Not that its an issue. Infact I actually like it and IMO, thats what makes the ride unique from the other Dark Fantasyland rides. You can thank DJM's Avatar Picture for this. His Avatar picture brought this question up in my mind.

Also sorry to use the term" Cardboard". I did not know how else to put it -_-.

• The Pumpkin King

Re: How come Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is the only Fantasyland ride to have "Cardboard" ..

Read post above please, thanks

• Forgotten Spirit

Re: How come Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is the only Fantasyland ride to have "Cardboard" ..

Doesn't Pinocchio's Daring Journey also have cardboard cutouts?

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    Doesn't Pinocchio's Daring Journey also have cardboard cutouts?
    Only the jack in the box dude and whats his that opens the crate for you to go into. But still the ride has full 3D AA's

• Lightspeed to Endor!

Well, all Fantasyland Dark Rides before the 80's refurbishment of Fantasyland featured the 2-D "cutout" versions of the characters in the attractions. The idea was that you were the character.

The "New" Fantasyland refurb was literally a rebuild, everything was torn out and rebuilt.

Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A4grLYnNdu4/Slalj61PJ9I/AAAAAAAABPY/b1fvH7L6ME0/s400/20090709_Peter_Pan_Demolition.jpg

At that point, the original concept of being the character rather than seeing the character was partially abandoned, and for the first time, Snow White and Alice could be seen as legitimate figures.

So possibly it was simply an artistic decision since Mr. Toad is not as well known as a character or they decided to keep the old-fashoned flavor of the ride. In any case, the park certainly had the opportunity to redo the ride and make the figures three dimensional and four dimensional, because it was completely rebuilt.

Most likely, they just wanted to maintain the original flavor with simplistic 2-D figures.

In the case of Alice, switching from 2-D to full figures was visually pleasing and helpful to the experience, with Toad the case would likely be different because it's not the people that matter as much as the overall London set and the driving experience.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by 1313Imagination View Post
    Well, all Fantasyland Dark Rides before the 80's refurbishment of Fantasyland featured the 2-D "cutout" versions of the characters in the attractions. The idea was that you were the character.

The "New" Fantasyland refurb was literally a rebuild, everything was torn out and rebuilt.

Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A4grLYnNdu4/Slalj61PJ9I/AAAAAAAABPY/b1fvH7L6ME0/s400/20090709_Peter_Pan_Demolition.jpg

At that point, the original concept of being the character rather than seeing the character was partially abandoned, and for the first time, Snow White and Alice could be seen as legitimate figures.

So possibly it was simply an artistic decision since Mr. Toad is not as well known as a character or they decided to keep the old-fashoned flavor of the ride. In any case, the park certainly had the opportunity to redo the ride and make the figures three dimensional and four dimensional, because it was completely rebuilt.

Most likely, they just wanted to maintain the original flavor with simplistic 2-D figures.

In the case of Alice, switching from 2-D to full figures was visually pleasing and helpful to the experience, with Toad the case would likely be different because it's not the people that matter as much as the overall London set and the driving experience.
    Aaahh ok. Also I noticed that even though Alice is 3D and so on, if im right in the ride you are Alice herself right? Because you never see her in it (If my memory serves me correctly)

Also thanks for the info

• Lightspeed to Endor!

Alice does appear in the current attraction during the flower sequence, but yes, the idea of the attraction is still the same. Despite that one moment, you are supposed to be in her footsteps.

Photo taken from DavelandWeb.com

• The Pumpkin King

Whoa, I guess I need to pay more attention lol. I dont remember her being there xD

• All-American

I think part of it may also have to do with the style of the ride. Mr. Toad's is a much faster and zanier attraction than its Fantasyland counterparts, and therefore having full-bodied AAs and set pieces just isn't as necessary as it might be in other rides, since you don't have as much time to look at them. I've also always thought the flat characters just adds to the attraction's cartoony wackiness. Just me though.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Mr. Toads is also crammed into an extremely small show building that it shares with Alice. Full figures/ sets won't fit in all areas.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I think part of it may also have to do with the style of the ride. Mr. Toad's is a much faster and zanier attraction than its Fantasyland counterparts, and therefore having full-bodied AAs and set pieces just isn't as necessary as it might be in other rides, since you don't have as much time to look at them. I've also always thought the flat characters just adds to the attraction's cartoony wackiness. Just me though.
    True true

Haha true that!

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Mr. Toads is also crammed into an extremely small show building that it shares with Alice. Full figures/ sets won't fit in all areas.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that -_-

• Banned User

Kind of like what Imagination and Mark Twain have been saying. If Mr. Toad had three-dimensional figures to try to be "up there with the times", it wouldn't quite have the zany cartoonish feel that has made the ride's legacy. The Imagineers and all of the guests like the feel of it, so they kept it when they changed it.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    Kind of like what Imagination and Mark Twain have been saying. If Mr. Toad had three-dimensional figures to try to be "up there with the times", it wouldn't quite have the zany cartoonish feel that has made the ride's legacy. The Imagineers and all of the guests like the feel of it, so they kept it when they changed it.
    I do too

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    Whoa, I guess I need to pay more attention lol. I dont remember her being there xD
    There was an entire thread not long ago about how she looks like a creepy stalker on the ride. I never really noticed her either, she's kind of out of the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast