Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

How Much Do You Pay For "Ambience"?

Something I read in one of Kevin Yee's columns prompted me to ask a question. When you dine at one of Disneyland's fine eateries, how much extra will you pay for "ambience"?
    To clarify: Kevin mentioned that at an Irish pub type place on Disney's Florida property, diners inside the place paid 15 bucks for fish and chips that cost $8.50 if bought outside.
    Back in the day when I cooked in the New Orleans Square Main Kitchen (as a CM in the 70's and early 80's, creole jambalaya cost much more if you ate it at the Blue Bayou compared to what it cost at the French Market. The very same stuff...I should know...I cooked it.
    In essence, you paid an "ambience fee" for sit-down service and fake fireflies, instead of going through a cafeteria line and getting it on a plastic plate.
    I'd much rather sit outside and enjoy the less-expensive ambience of New Orleans Square, but I must confess - and I know this will draw objections from many Mice-Chatters - I've always felt the Bayou to be at least somewhat overpriced and overrated (And again, I used to prepare much of their food).
    Should you pay extra for china plates and fireflies?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• șoș Tom șoș

Re: How Much Do You Pay For "Ambience"?

The question I suppose I must ask myself is would I pay the 8 bucks for the food in the first place. Is it good food? Is it of a quality or caliber worth my time to sit down and enjoy it in the fine atmosphere of a themed restraunt.

• Banned User

na throw me a bone! I would rather have a turkey leg and would feel more comfortable. fancy smancy is just not me though I do love a monte cristo ! I would pay for that, not because of the ambiance, but bcause I love those things!!!

• The one, the only...

I think that referring to WDW will help with this question. There are many wonderful restaurant experiences there, but WDW also makes sure that the quality of the food is above average. California Grill, Boma, Crystal Palace, and Coral Reef, to name a few, offer unique ambience but also above average food. The price is well above average too. This is the key. People will pay more for a memorable, delicious meal on vacation.

Over priced, poor quality food offered at restaurants and push carts through DL, makes for a poor guest experience. I would pay more for a wonderful meal, in a wonderful setting any day than for a over priced Turkey leg on a park bench.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• no flash photography...

at a theme park not much...it's theme park...

however, when I dine out I will pay for it. I'm going tot he Queen Mary This weekend and having the sunday brunch. It's not really expensive though...LOL...it's only $35.00 per person and it's in the first class dining room, all you can drink champaigne and last time they had a harpist playing. When dining out I would rather spend more and not go to "family dining" places. However, at DL you can't get away from that to much...LOL...and I'm to busy having fun to want to stop and eat a lavish meal. It's just not really the environment for that.

also, before we had AP's I really didn't want to spend big bucks on food in the park. We had just spent about $200.00 to get in. We would usually just eat at the french market.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Should you pay extra for china plates and fireflies?
    Of course! There's eating... and... there's dining. Naturally you're going to pay for elegant surroundings.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Ambience in DL can be a very special experience.....Ate at Ariel's Grotto over the past weekend, you should have seen the look on Wolfette's face when all the Princess's stopped by our table for a chat, autograph and photo. Some things are just priceless (or at least worth a few bucks more)!!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Still wants to be a cat!

And speaking of Happy faces...should have seen Villans Fan's at Goofy's Kitchen on Saturday!!!! Some things are worth the price!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Gumball Rally Godfather

You're not getting just the food for more money... you're also paying someone to take your reservation, and another person to seat you. They are called hostesses.
    You are also paying for someone to take your order and serve it to you, along with your salad, and your dessert. They are called waiters and waitresses.
    You are also paying for someone else to get your water and bring you a fork to replace the one you dropped on the floor. They are called busboys.
    All of the aforementioned employees have workmans compensation insurance, social security, taxes, emloyer provided benefits, and costumes that are paid for with your money.
    I am sure that I am missing many more things that come along with a sitdown meal in a restaurant. These are just the ones that I could come up with on short notice.
    I think you get the idea. It cost alot of money to have all of these people serve you.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    Ambience in DL can be a very special experience.....Ate at Ariel's Grotto over the past weekend, you should have seen the look on Wolfette's face when all the Princess's stopped by our table for a chat, autograph and photo. Some things are just priceless (or at least worth a few bucks more)!!

Wolfy's right...

You can't put a price on seeing the excitement/enjoyment on the kids faces while we are enjoying the Parks.

Even though we just got back from our trip, the memories that I have are of our kids smiling, laughing, and enjoying themselves together and us as a family rather than the cost of the trip itself.

Those memories are priceless!

• Disney Nazi

Despite the cost of the dining at Disney ( and extra with how sucky the Aussie dollar is compared to the US one) the ambience and the experience make it a must do on at least each trip we take to Disneyland.

Its true those memories are priceless !
    "Lies make baby Jesus cry!"

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

As regards the extra people that it takes to serve you at the sit-down restaurant, point taken.
    But don't forget that for that "fine dining" experience, we not only pay the extra-inflated price for the same food as I mentioned, but we also pay for the people who serve us.
    It is called a "tip".
    (And it isn't that we shouldn't tip. Of course we should.)
    And I know from experience that when service is slow, it's usually not the server's fault - but they have to take the criticism anyway. There were times that I would gladly have gone into the dining area and told the patrons that the problem was with the kitchen help and not the server. I even suggested it to a supervisor but was told not to.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• CM for 4 years!

Actually there is one ingredient difference between the Blue Bayou Jambalaya and the French market Jambalaya, at least now. SHRIMP! Only the Bayou has this.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

It's also good to note that a group experience generally what makes me enjoy my Lunches and Dinners with the MiceChat/others group. While the food is generally good, it's the company that makes it all worth it. Weither it's taking up the entire row of tables at Whitewater (which really ISN'T in the park), relaxing at Blue Bayoe on Disneyland's 50th, or celebrating sucess at Club 33, the people who you eat with make Disneyland eating special.
    -Monorail Man

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Actually there is one ingredient difference between the Blue Bayou Jambalaya and the French market Jambalaya, at least now. SHRIMP! Only the Bayou has this.
    The Blue Bayou is an example of a fine dining experience at DL. I wish that Disney management will expand the concept around the park. We all know that Pressler thought that cotton candy and churros were a fine dining experience. I think that both the snack foods and higher class restaurants can work at an amusement park. Since Blue Bayou turns away so many guest each day, I am sure that DL is ready for another dining experience, even if it is more expensive.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast