View Poll Results: Should Disneyland serve only Sweet Poato Fries at the Hungry Bear restaurant?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mmmm, sweet potato fries. Me likey!

13 24.07%
  • Can's stand sweet potato fries. Me wants potato fries!

8 14.81%
  • I like options. Can't we have both?

31 57.41%
  • Fries is fries. I'll eat either one.

2 3.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Sweet Potato Fries... What's your take?

Tigerlily and I visited Disneyland last weekend and we had a wonderful trip. Got to spend time with many MiceChatters that we love dearly and we also got try sweet potato fries again at the Hungry Bear restaurant in Critter Country.

I tried the sweet potato fries during the Gumball Rally and I gotta be honest... I don't care for them. I've had them before at Slater's 50/50 in Anaheim Hills and they were good only because they came with a dipping sauce. Personally, I think that having them as a food option is fine, but I don't think it was a good choice to completely drop regular french fries from the menu.

What's your take on Disneyland's decision to drop potato french fries in favor of sweet potato fries at the Hungry Bear?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Sweet Potato Fries... What's your take?

I like the sweet potato fries but I also like options. They should have the regular fries too, drop em' in the same grease and it's no skin off their back.

• -

Gross. But then I am not a fan of sweet potatoes. I don't want to deprive anyone who is a fan of the fries by saying they should get rid of them completely just because of my personal preference, but they should give the option of getting the real fries, too.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Ludicrous speed! Go!

I've found that sweet potato fries really are hit or miss, ranging from fried cardboard sticks to flavorful strips of pleasure. It’s rare but when sweet potato fries are made right I really do prefer them over potato fries.

I haven't had any at the park but my take on it is if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. On top of that it’s a bit on the unusual side that they only offer sweet potato fries, every place I’ve been to they always offer both. Then there’s the really cool places that let you order a 50/50 ratio of potato and sweet potato fries.
    Last edited by Mutiny; 06-01-2011 at 09:02 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I don't understand the reasoning behind doing only sweet potato fries. There are just too many people that don't like them. If you're trying to chase business away or have more people bring their own food to the park, then it's the way to go. Tangaroa Terrace is the same way. A choice between sweet potato fries or a green papaya slaw. Really, what kind of choice is that. It's just not that hard to have regular fries as part of the menu also.
    Mike

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love sweet potatoes, and sweet potato fries as well. I have never had them at Disneyland though. Last time that I was there, the Hungry Bear restaurant was closed.

In Chicago, I can find sweet potato fries in my frozen food section. I don't go the normal french fry route, though, I bake them, or microwave them, for a less greasy alternative.

I will definitely put that on my list of things to do the next time that I am at Disneyland.

• Senior Minion

The sweet potato fries at Hungry Bear leave MUCH to be desired, and actually just turned me off to even finishing my meal when I ate there last time. I agree that they should at least give you an option.

One of the reasons I enjoyed eating at Hungry Bear before the menu change is that you could also choose to have apple slices instead of fries. Now we're being told that apple slices only come with the kids menu - so I'd like that choice back as well ... please.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I wish there was an option. Sweet potato fries are good, but I have to be in the mood to eat them. Kind of like onion rings. It would be nice if they were an option, but to replace regular fries with them altogether doesn't make sense since not everyone likes them.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I think the Sweet Potato fries are far better than the greasy over salted fries they once served at Hungry Bear. Better for you too.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• let's talk Disney, okay!

We havent eaten there, but it has made it a hard sell with my wife. I have been talking about eating there the next time we visit, but she HATES sweet potatoes.

Maybe we'll have to stop and get some regular fries on the way

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousEndeavors View Post
    We havent eaten there, but it has made it a hard sell with my wife. I have been talking about eating there the next time we visit, but she HATES sweet potatoes.

Maybe we'll have to stop and get some regular fries on the way
    Sell her on the lemon cupcake, it is truly delicious!

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Gross. But then I am not a fan of sweet potatoes. I don't want to deprive anyone who is a fan of the fries by saying they should get rid of them completely just because of my personal preference, but they should give the option of getting the real fries, too.
    Well then we can trick you like me and my mom trick my dad with Sweet Potato Fries. He dosen't like Sweet Potatoes either but we trick him by not showing him what fries we get. He dosen't even knowest about the different in color either. We do that to him with Spinach as well we tell him it's bell peppers and he believes it.

As for me I love Sweet Potatoe fries I haven't yet try them at DL yet but I will one day.

• I can't stand you.

Not a fan of sweet potatoe fries at all and since they replaced the regualr fries completely that kinda makes me sad but oh well my girlfriend likes em.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
    Well then we can trick you like me and my mom trick my dad with Sweet Potato Fries. He dosen't like Sweet Potatoes either but we trick him by not showing him what fries we get. He dosen't even knowest about the different in color either. We do that to him with Spinach as well we tell him it's bell peppers and he believes it.
    Unfortunately, I don't think I can be tricked. I went somewhere and was given sweet potato fries by accident when I ordered real fries. I knew as soon as I tasted it that something was wrong.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I've never really had sweet potato fries until Hungry Bear reopened and it left me with the feeling of not wanting them again. I didn't care for the slight aftertaste they left and this was from the fries I was able to eat. MOST of them were DRENCHED in salt it was crazy. I was bummed because I loved HB and really liked the atmosphere and chicken sandwich. Haven't been back since it reopened though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast